MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Eyetalian

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:17 pm

So where do frabonis' cannolis rank in the scale of sweetness? Cloying or just normal?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:53 pm

TAsunder wrote:So where do frabonis' cannolis rank in the scale of sweetness? Cloying or just normal?

I didn't think they were overly sweet, but I didn't care for the texture of the filling - a little too grainy. I much prefer the creamier texture on which I grew up back east.

I will be the first to admit that I am very much a cannoli snob - if it's not just right, to me, it's not worth it.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:48 am

Went to Lombardino's finally last night. Def. best eyetalian in Madtown so far. Loved the old school wall frescoes with scenes from Italy, reminded me of so many Italian restaurants I'd been to in the 70's as a kid. Wife had a Bellini and we enjoyed a decent Chianti. Very nice salumi plate with a variety of imported meats, spread and bread. Both pasta dishes were great, I had the linguini with littlenecks and pancetta, and she had a ravioli with mushrooms and truffles. We got the half portions to save room for the second course (that plan backfired). She had a chicken dish with white beans, and I had a mixed grill with sirloin, oxtail, and sausage over polenta. Both very good.

We were psyched that the menu was set up like a restaurant in Italy, with antipasti, a pasta course and a meat/fish course. Even with the half portions of pasta, it was a bit too much, and we can eat. Next time we will have to skip the antipasti or split one of the pasta or meat courses. It'll be tough because there are so many different dishes to try! The price was relatively steep (a bit more than Papavero), but worth it. We signed up for their dining rewards card, so we intend on going back soon to earn a free bottle of wine.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:04 pm

How does the dining rewards card work?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:12 pm

You accrue points as you dine. A certain number of points equals different dining rewards, they gave me a little card to hold onto. Not exactly sure how it all works, but I'm on their email list for menu changes, etc., so I will ask about my balance and what it means when I hear from them.

Open Table reservations has a similar program that I've used, but I haven't earned enough of those to cash anything yet.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Peppino's

Postby kulgar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:52 pm

Resurrecting an old thread just to comment that we ate at Peppino's again last Friday, third time this year, and the Veal Florentine was oustanding! Yes, I like Lombardino's but it's a bit of a circus most nights. I like Bunky's because her uncle (or great uncle) Pino, Bunky's son or grandson, served up exquisite pizza for a number of year's at Pino's across from Josie's on Park and Regent. So maybe it's the memories of all those great pies that gets me into Bunky's (and my wife can try something more exotic from the Mediteranean side of the menu.)

But for phenomenal Italian cuisine, the youngest of the Gargano brothers, called Peppino or Pino (that gets confusing given the previous sentences about Pino Capadona) is an incredible chef with what must be close to 50 years of experience. I've eaten at his various restaurants for thirty years and I swear he's gotten better, these could be his finest meals.

Biago reportedly doesn't cook anymore at Bellini's (not even for the Pope!) so there's only Gino (and he can't possibly make all the food that Gino's turns out) and Peppino left cooking. My obscure point is that great foods bring back memories and Peppino is still making new memories whenever he cooks. Get there while he still is, restaurants come and go but great chefs and restaurants too soon go away...

It's not cheap, but not outrageous for fine dining. The tables along Carroll St are more intimate than the main room. And it's only two to three blocks to the Overture or Orpheum so enough time to do one on the walk down Carroll on the way to your show.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:24 pm

Went to Peppino's on Friday and had the antipasto and the veal, pretty good, but I still think Papavero and Lombardino's are the best I've had here.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues