MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Finally, a 24/7 coffee shop in Madison

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Finally, a 24/7 coffee shop in Madison

Postby Wet_Pavement » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:49 am

But why did it have to be a Starbucks?

The Starbucks at 3513 Universirty Avenue is 24/7 and I've already dropped $15 at that place. :cry:
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:16 am

I'm wondering why they chose that location, other than being near the hospitals. Is it for drive-thru only or stop in and sit down, also? What about security, beside their cameras? (I saw security people at McDonalds South, last Winter.)
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:22 am

Bwis53 wrote:I'm wondering why they chose that location, other than being near the hospitals. Is it for drive-thru only or stop in and sit down, also? What about security, beside their cameras? (I saw security people at McDonalds South, last Winter.)

You can go in and site down. I never thought about the security issue. But I guess given the neighborhood I don't imagine condo-owning older adults and young professionals near Hilldale as being too dangerous. But it can happen anywhere of course.

I think they have a drive-thru. But I don't know if they use it. I should try.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:30 am

If a Starbucks on a major thoroughfare in a reasonably-sized city feels the need to add security for late night shifts, then beenthere has already won.

And yes, this is all about the hospital. The fact that it's fairly close to campus is a bonus, but this is totally hospital traffic-driven.

Both drive-through and lobby are open 24/7.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:41 am

the police could make a mint nailing all the people who make a u-turn during the morning rush hour on University to get into that place.
The funny thing is that if you go in the back entrance people waiting in line have a shit-fit like your trying to cut in line or something.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:46 am

jammybastard wrote:the police could make a mint nailing all the people who make a u-turn during the morning rush hour on University to get into that place.
The funny thing is that if you go in the back entrance people waiting in line have a shit-fit like your trying to cut in line or something.

::sheepishly raises hand::

Guilty.

The traffic is rough negotiation in there. And that back route is so pinched off that it feels (to those in line) like cars coming in are breaking the rules. The baristas should hand out navigation rules for a week with everyone's orders. Just a little quartersheet.

ADDED: From the Wisconsin Driver's Book:

You can make a U-turn on any country, two-lane road
if it can be done safely.

You may not make a U-turn at any of these places:

• in a business district.
• on a main highway in a residential area.
• at any intersection with traffic signals.
• when a police officer is directing traffic.

There's no "No U-Turn" sign there, so far as I recall.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:13 pm

I'm not thrilled it's a Starbucks either, but this city needs something that's not downtown, and is open past 10 on a weeknight (and 10-11-12 on weekends) other than bars, Perkins and Denny's.

Or have I just not looked hard enough?
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:40 am

beenie wrote:I'm not thrilled it's a Starbucks either, but this city needs something that's not downtown, and is open past 10 on a weeknight (and 10-11-12 on weekends) other than bars, Perkins and Denny's.

Or have I just not looked hard enough?

Nope, you've looked plenty hard. La Hacienda, the Mexi place in the 600 block of South Park St., is open until about 3 AM. And I miss the Club de Wash which used to stay open late, too. Of course there used to be an IHOP downtown too that was 24/7 back in the day.

Yeah, it would be cool if even the downtown had a 24/7 coffee house. Then I could run into blunt on moving day as he re-caffeinates to carry the end tables back to his hovel, wherever it may be.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:25 am

I'm not the only one that's dreamt about Lakefront Cafe turning into a 24/7 greasy spoon, am I?

And goddamn, I miss that IHOP. Not to mention the Open Pantry. Now there definitely ain't shit downtown for the wee hours of the night.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:04 am

Bruno wrote:I'm not the only one that's dreamt about Lakefront Cafe turning into a 24/7 greasy spoon, am I?

And goddamn, I miss that IHOP. Not to mention the Open Pantry. Now there definitely ain't shit downtown for the wee hours of the night.

Hard to believe with all the screaming and yelling, heard downtown, but I believe you.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 am

God I miss hotel Wash. Cafe Palms "irish nachoes" at 3am? Nothing finer. I'm sure that I'm probably over-romanticising them a bit, but after a long night, knowing there was something even marginally better than Perkins or Denny's was a godsend. It may not have been Four Seasons but at 3 - 4 am, it was the best food ever.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:18 am

Bruno wrote:I'm not the only one that's dreamt about Lakefront Cafe turning into a 24/7 greasy spoon, am I?

Regarding the OP....I used to live near the OP when I was in college. One night during the summer, I wandered over to the OP. I ran into a scruffy Harley riding biker dude. We struck up a conversation. It turns out he was -- or so he claimed-- following the Dead around that summer....Somehow the subject of drugs came up, and he offered me some blotter at $5 a hit. I was hesitant but bought a hit.

Later, I wandered off down near the shores of Monona on a hot summer night with the moon in the sky. I put the blotter on my tongue and waited.

And waited...And waited....

The guy sold me paper at $5 for a 1/8th inch square. It would have been such a cooler story if I had tripped my balls off and had some deep insights into the Universe, insights only to be forgotten later.....
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:49 pm

Wet_Pavement wrote:Regarding the OP....I used to live near the OP when I was in college. One night during the summer, I wandered over to the OP. I ran into a scruffy Harley riding biker dude. We struck up a conversation. It turns out he was -- or so he claimed-- following the Dead around that summer....Somehow the subject of drugs came up, and he offered me some blotter at $5 a hit. I was hesitant but bought a hit.

Later, I wandered off down near the shores of Monona on a hot summer night with the moon in the sky. I put the blotter on my tongue and waited.

And waited...And waited....

The guy sold me paper at $5 for a 1/8th inch square. It would have been such a cooler story if I had tripped my balls off and had some deep insights into the Universe, insights only to be forgotten later.....

:lol: Happens to the best of us, man!
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues