MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Pasqual's coming to Hilldale

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Pasqual's coming to Hilldale

Postby bassbari » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:57 pm

I read Mike Ivey's column in the Cap Times saying that Pasqual's is opening another restarurant in Hilldale. I like Pasqual's but they have had such bad luck in other areas of Madison and Middleton. What gives? This has to be their fifth attempt. Failures: Atwood Ave. and University Ave in Middleton both folded. I wish them luck.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:32 pm

Well, those two failures were a while ago, back when they had the original owners, but I don't blame you for being wary. Love their guac, but that's about it. I ate at the one in Verona a few months ago, and it was just dry and heavy and totally not worth what I paid for it. Too bad.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:03 pm

i love mexican food, live right around the corner from pasquals on monroe, and haven't been there in years. that's how little i think of their food. the real question is how they've stayed open this long.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby @wood » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Monroe street is pretty close to Hilldale. That would probably mean it's doomed, dontcha think? They are sucking half of the customer base for Monroe street away (at least half, I would think).
@wood
Forum Addict

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:21 pm

The Sedona sandwich was the only thing I ever really liked from there and when they got rid of that I pretty much stopped going there.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:25 pm

@wood wrote:Monroe street is pretty close to Hilldale. That would probably mean it's doomed, dontcha think? They are sucking half of the customer base for Monroe street away (at least half, I would think).

Hilldale seems like a pretty long walk, to me. And not necessarily a relaxing one, so no. Hilldale seems like another city.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pasqual's coming to Hilldale

Postby eriedasch » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:58 am

bassbari wrote:I like Pasqual's but they have had such bad luck in other areas of Madison and Middleton. What gives?

I don't think luck has anything to do with it. I used to like Pasquals about 10 years ago when they used to be good. Mainly got takeout from the Atwood location and went to Middleton when they first opened a few times. I dunno, after being served 5 or more cold burritos in a row you finally get the idea the place is not worth going to, no matter how good they used to be. Quality of their chorizo really seemed to go downhill as well.

I'm also suprised any of their locations are still in business.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:09 pm

Tex Tubbs Taco is going in right down the street from Hilldale. And I think there's at least a Qdoba between them. Enough Mexican already.

Hilldale has potential but some of the more recent additions (L'Occitane, Pasquals, North Face) have been kind of weak. A Patagonia store instead of North Face would have made me happier.
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:09 pm

I'm really surprised at the negative reaction to Pasqual's. I've never felt it was "wow, I want more" good, but neither was it as bad for me as it apparently was for you.

It seems like a good fit for Hilldale, but the relative proximity to Monroe St. is perplexing.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:39 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I'm really surprised at the negative reaction to Pasqual's. I've never felt it was "wow, I want more" good, but neither was it as bad for me as it apparently was for you.

When I first started eating there, to me and my dining companions, it was WOW, I want more, good. And food was served hot all the time. But as time went on locations opened and then they all closed except Monroe it really was disappointing to see. But the whole thing for me was consistantly being served food cold. No excuse. Because it was so good to begin with (one of my faves), I probably judge it with higher standards than I would a Qdoba or Chipotle, which by the way I have never been served a cold burrito.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:00 pm

Back when the Atwood Pasqual's was the only Pasqual's (I think... early/mid 90s?), I LOVED it. Chicken fajita burrito, and those tidy little commuter burritos, yum. I miss the heyday Pasqual's. Not as much as I miss the Gila Monster, but still.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:53 pm

Ducatista wrote:Back when the Atwood Pasqual's was the only Pasqual's (I think... early/mid 90s?), I LOVED it. Chicken fajita burrito, and those tidy little commuter burritos, yum. I miss the heyday Pasqual's. Not as much as I miss the Gila Monster, but still.

Monroe St was the only Pasquals starting in the later 80's. The Atwood location was the 2nd, appearing 1992'ish. After Tim Guilfoil sold the chain, things suffered.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:57 am

No kidding? Shows how east-centric I was back then. Sounds like I lucked into a narrow little window of Atwood Pasqual's goodness.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Garimba » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:21 pm

Ducatista wrote:No kidding? Shows how east-centric I was back then. Sounds like I lucked into a narrow little window of Atwood Pasqual's goodness.

My last (and I do mean last) experience there... I had been waiting about 45 minutes for a couple burritos to go. I was in no hurry. Readin the paper, drinking a beer. In between other people ordering I asked how my order was coming and the dirty little tattoo girl gives me a hate look and says "you want fast, go to Taco Bell". I said, hmph, fuck you and left. I went to Monty's though. Not Taco Bell. That's when I discovered Monty's breakfast burrito. Yum!

But, damn did I love that location when it first opened up!
Garimba
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues