MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Boring, Boring, Boring..... give me MORE!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Boring, Boring, Boring..... give me MORE!

Postby d2drums » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:26 pm

Seems to me we have much more to talk about culinarily than what has transpired over the last couple of months! This forum is always very active about goings on in the culinary world which is Madison.... Isn't there something to chat about that will peak our interests? Please tell me we haven't reached the end of the internet..... or at least the end of anything worth while to chat about, you foodies, you!
d2drums

Re: Boring, Boring, Boring..... give me MORE!

Postby fennel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:40 pm

d2drums wrote:Seems to me we have much more to talk about culinarily than what has transpired over the last couple of months! This forum is always very active about goings on in the culinary world which is Madison.... Isn't there something to chat about that will peak our interests? Please tell me we haven't reached the end of the internet..... or at least the end of anything worth while to chat about, you foodies, you!

I think this posting might pique more interest in the malapropisms thread!
(Sorry, couldn't help it.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:50 pm

I recently tried grilling chicken with a simple coating of olive oil, crushed garlic, and Ajwain seeds. The result was gustatory glee. I'd tried Ajwain once or twice in stir-fries, just to get a sense of it, but wasn't terribly impressed. But now I understand why some folks really love it.

I found it at Yue-Wah Oriental Food on Park Street.
Some information about Ajwain:
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Trac_amm.html
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:36 pm

Also available at Penzey's, though I've never tried it...what does it taste like?
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:43 pm

d2drums wrote:Seems to me we have much more to talk about culinarily than what has transpired over the last couple of months! This forum is always very active about goings on in the culinary world which is Madison.... Isn't there something to chat about that will peak our interests? Please tell me we haven't reached the end of the internet..... or at least the end of anything worth while to chat about, you foodies, you!

You remind of that guy who complains about parties.
You are the party!
And you are a Foron foodie.
Put on a lampshade and talk about yams.

(BTW: I HATE the term "foodie" and if I ever find out who coined it, I will shove a Sysco truck up his ass.)
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:55 pm

What sort of thing are you looking for? Maybe we can compare the various alternative meats at the farmer's market. I've tried ostrich meat and it's decent. Last night I made (but have yet to try) chili with bison meat. So far the best farmer's market meat is the fountain stand's beef.

Perhaps some fun little stories, such as being served by Chef Miller at Cafe Soleil on friday and watching him have to ask other workers how to do things and being very self-depricating?

Or maybe you want to talk about restaurants more. I discovered recently that two drinks, focaccia, and one tapa at magnus is a filling, inexpensive meal for 2 (relative to their normal stuff). The drinks worth trying are the batida, s. african raspberry, and magnus.

I'm saving up so I can make a really juicy post here after visiting Alinea and trying the 24 course, 7 hour meal. It was a little iffy at first because Achatz got some form of cancer, but he's back in the kitchen. I should have enough saved in about 8 years.

Or are you looking for a scavenger hunt? Because I really would like to find powdered tamarind, but can't figure out where to get it. Googling returns some sketchy looking sites where a guy from india or thailand will ship some to me.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:22 pm

Here's a good website discussing tamarind:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/tamarind.html

Among other things, tamarind powder is used as a dressing for homemade blankets, as a thickener in some explosives and as a cure for diarrhea. What do you need it for TA?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:12 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:Also available at Penzey's, though I've never tried it...what does it taste like?

Like thyme but a bit sharper. It seems like it tolerates heat pretty well, so it might do well for roasted things.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:20 pm

blunt wrote:(BTW: I HATE the term "foodie" and if I ever find out who coined it, I will shove a Sysco truck up his ass.)

Ooh, that's like a FEMA enema. Not nice! Have a little mercy. The poor little tastemaker probably never knew that food comes from the soil.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:26 pm

TAsunder wrote: Because I really would like to find powdered tamarind, but can't figure out where to get it. Googling returns some sketchy looking sites where a guy from india or thailand will ship some to me.

Why would you want powdered tamarind? As with dried milk, you can do better.
Tamarind concentrate should be easy enough to find. It's just the fruit, skinned and seeded, reduced somewhat. The less processing, the better.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:39 pm

fennel wrote:I recently tried grilling chicken with a simple coating of olive oil, crushed garlic, and Ajwain seeds. The result was gustatory glee. I'd tried Ajwain once or twice in stir-fries, just to get a sense of it, but wasn't terribly impressed. But now I understand why some folks really love it.

I found it at Yue-Wah Oriental Food on Park Street.
Some information about Ajwain:
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Trac_amm.html

Sorry I asked what it tasted like before I read your link...doh! I will definitely be trying this since I love thyme...Yue-Wah is the most amazing store. My Filipino companion and I went there a couple months back and he could not believe his eyes...they even have an obscure (to the US) kind of ice cream that his mother recalled loving as a child in the Phillipines. Everything under the sun and more, very clean and well organized...they must have forty varieties of soy sauce alone.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:20 am

Tamarind powder is for a mixed drink. I tried tamarind paste but it doesn't mix well. Theoretically I could try blending it. Yue Wah does seem to have genuine tamarind that I could try.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:36 am

I swear, the next person to use the term "foodie" in my presence gets his fucking larynx ripped out.

What are you, like four fucking years old?
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:41 am

lordofthecockrings wrote:I swear, the next person to use the term "foodie" in my presence gets his fucking larynx ripped out.

Foodie translates into French as "amateur de bonne boufee." Does that sound better?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:13 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:I swear, the next person to use the term "foodie" in my presence gets his fucking larynx ripped out.

Can I add "smoothie" to that list? Makes me clench up just thinking about it.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues