MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Boring, Boring, Boring..... give me MORE!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby O.J. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:28 pm

The term Smoothie makes me laugh, but for reasons different from your hatred of it. There was a kid in my dorm freshman year that obviously had never even kissed a girl, yet tried to tell everyone how to pick them up. He instantly earned that moniker.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thegumphouse » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:16 am

How about the word "Sammie"?! Even when I was five, I never called a sandwich such a ridiculous word. It makes me cringe every time.
thegumphouse

Postby TAsunder » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:27 am

I'll take sammie over panini, even though the latter might be technically correct.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:24 am

And what is with the British "brekkie" for breakfast and "pressies" for presents? Full grown men who should know better babble on like that. Ugh.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:33 pm

You can get tamarind poweder at any of the indian markets - Bombay Bazaar has it, as does Maharani Market (I...think that's what it's called? Next to maharaja west). I'd imagine you could find it elsewhere.

Not only is it decent for drinks, it is also useful for making certain masalas, like chaat masala, which - trust me - won't keep well if you try to use fresh tamarind (also, it's harder to sprinkle on things).

You can also get the delightfuly sour Amchur - green mango powder. And asafoetida, which lives up to the "foetid" in its name.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:05 pm

Thanks Null! I didn't know Bombay still existed even.

I assumed if Yue Wah didn't have it, no one would.

The containers that they sell hing / asafoetida in are wholly inadequate at containing the smell. I had to transfer the contents of it to a more airtight jar. But the stuff definitely livens up things, despite smelling like the devil's ass.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pogoagogo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:42 pm

I absolutely am unable to stand when people refer to pizza as a 'za.

It just makes me want to slap them silly, with a shovel.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby thegumphouse » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:32 pm

You were asking for interesting topics...

I am always amused at the outcry from groups like "The Madison Originals" (independant restaurants) that people need to eat locally and support their local restaurant owners. They claim that the people of Madison are doing a disservice to the community by patronizing chain restaurants. This is a base generalization from me, but essentially this is their gripe.

What is amusing is that when many independants (not all) are asked about the food, beverage, etc. wholesalers that they buy from, many are corporate-based, or are based out of Milwaukee, not Madison.

Corporate restaurants by way of their structured nature have specifications for products. I have found that more corporate restaurants buy more of their products locally (within Madison) than some of the independants do, believe it or not.

Corporate restaurants also pay their bills and tend to not piss it away on luxuries. Rumor has it that it wasn't just construction but overindulgence that led to Fyfe's downfall. They aren't the only ones, trust me.

My favorite restaurants are all independants, but sometimes I think more need to practise what they preach.

I brought the fuel, someone else light it...the dude (original poster) is bored! Time to take cover.
thegumphouse

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:55 pm

thegumphouse wrote: Rumor has it that it wasn't just construction but overindulgence that led to Fyfe's downfall.

Tell me, what's the rumor? I'm interested in what sudden over indulgence would lead to the demise of a decade+ old business.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thegumphouse » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:17 pm

I quoted it as I heard it, "overindulgence". I responded with a "really" and left it at that. If someone knows better, than by all means, set it straight. I only used it as a reference because of the other forum devoted to Fyfe's.
thegumphouse

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:43 am

thegumphouse wrote:I quoted it as I heard it, "overindulgence". I responded with a "really" and left it at that. If someone knows better, than by all means, set it straight. I only used it as a reference because of the other forum devoted to Fyfe's.

Perhaps you shouldn't repeat scurrilous rumors with no base in fact if you're not able to back up your accusations.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thegumphouse » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:22 am

Next time I'll make sure to ask for the receipts.
thegumphouse

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:28 am

thegumphouse wrote:Next time I'll make sure to ask for the receipts.

How about next time you just don't make shit up?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:28 am

thegumphouse wrote:Next time I'll make sure to ask for the receipts.

How 'bout you just back out of the room slowly, rather than show up, create an account, and sling unfounded shit anonymously.

JINX
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:28 am

thegumphouse wrote:independant
independants
independants
independants

Pleeease make it stop....!
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext