MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

food collaborative?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

food collaborative?

Postby CaptDaytonica » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Does anyone know if there is any sort of foods collaborative that exists between Madison restaurants and markets? I work at one of our organic markets here and I'm wondering if there is some way we can quickly contact (especially) downtown restaurants about over-orders, extras, and specials we have acquired and may not be able to use. I can't stand throwing out pounds of shitake mushrooms! It wouldn't be about making money but about saving good food. ideas?
CaptDaytonica

Postby equuspower » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:41 pm

Have you just tried contacting some of the local restaurants that are known to use local produce and seasonal vegetables? I would think they'd be more inclined toward that.
equuspower
Forum Addict

Postby CaptDaytonica » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:56 pm

Well, that's actually what I'm looking to sidestep. In other cities, like Portland OR for example, you can have a web site or central group or phone number where the markets list what they've got and the restaurants check in rather than the other way around which entails a lot of calling and driving and sales pitching. I can certainly start that up but I'm posting in case there already is such a system and i just don't know about it.
CaptDaytonica

Postby Marvell » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:09 pm

If I were you, I would actually start with the MCC.

Not only could they presumably get you in touch with all the food buyers at their coops, they probably have employees from a significant percentage of locally-owned Madison restaurants living in them as well.

You have the seeds of a great idea. I wish you the best of luck in realizing it.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:39 am

I'm not sure what market you sell at, but I thought the downtown farmer's market has people stop by vendors around closing time to collect any unwanted/extra produce for use in food shelters.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues