MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Cafe Zoma - so salty!!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Cafe Zoma - so salty!!

Postby TiminMadison » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Cafe Zoma enjoys a great location. They have great coffee, delicious sandwiches and salads that are well prepared with fresh ingredients. Too bad they HATE their customers. I have tried to enjoy this place multiple times and always leave feeling as though my patronage seriously inconvenienced the staff. I expect a lack of caring from staff at generic chain restaurants, but part what I expect form a local business is an appreciation for my dollar. I am finished trying at this place especially with friendly places like Java Cat or Mermaid Cafe so near.
TiminMadison

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Would you mind citing specific infractions other than you didn't find their service to your exact taste? As if the semi-self-serve coffee industry can cater to anyone and everyone's specific tastes.

Is there any reason why anonymous posters come to the DPF every week and bash their market competition?

It's a fashionable mom and pop coffee shop that brews and semi-serves coffee. What the fuck do you expect?

I've never had any problems with these people. They give me what I order, they smile; I give them their money. These people have stayed in business amongst a tight and competitive market; that says something about the character of their business/service.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:10 pm

I have to agree with PM. Citing an amibiguous complaint does no one any good. Personally, I have always had good interactions with the staff.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:43 pm

Details and specifics!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TiminMadison » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:47 pm

I avoided specifics because this was not a one time thing. When I revisit the specifics I feel a bit silly for not having given up on this place long ago. My most recent trip to CZ involved a counter mix up in which another customer walked off with my food. Not a huge deal - likely to happen from time to time; the problem was the way they dealt with it. When I explained that I had yet to receive my order, I was treated with hostility. Rather than make and my order (is an apology too much to expect)a refund was suggested - as though they'd prefer I go away than make the lunch I paid for.
As to what the fuck i expect - just to be treated well.
TiminMadison

zoma

Postby anaranjado » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:21 pm

Yes, sounds like you had A bad experience with A person working that day. I used to live a few steps away from Zoma. For 2 years I was there 5 days a week. I moved so now I only go about once every 2 weeks. I have always liked the staff. Of the hundreds of times I have seen her, I have yet to see the owner without a smile on her face, bending over backward to be nice to customers. The dude who worked the morning shift was always awesome. I won't argue with you about your particular experience, but I really can name few other places in this town where the service is this good. I also think they have the best coffee in town.
anaranjado

Postby keelio » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:14 pm

I also have to jump on the pro-CZ bandwagon. I've enjoyed visiting on many occasions, both with the original ownership and the new owner - for lunch, coffee, and music performance when it suits. Never had a single issue with an order and always found the counter people friendly and attentive to detail.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zelda » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:40 am

Ooooh. I really like Zoma. Friends and I bike around Monona and always plan a stop there whenever possible. Never had a bad latte, never had bad service; everyone has been friendly, even when they are rushed. And the pastries - nice selection, good quality IMHO.
zelda
Forum Addict

Friendly Service

Postby bikinchef » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:42 pm

I have heard that before about Zoma, can't say I have experienced it though. Someone mentioned Java Cat, you gotta go further down Monona Drive and check our Crema Cafe, always great service and the food pretty much blows other coffee shops fare out of the water, lots of local and organic, Langes Ham!, you know. out
Last edited by bikinchef on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
bikinchef

Postby dudemeister » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:02 am

I've never had a surly experience at CZ. It's a really fun place if you ask me which, of course, you didn't.

I did hear though that 6-12 months ago there was a purge of some surly staff though, as I said, I never experienced that prior or after that time.
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby roadkill bill » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:38 am

With the title "Cafe Zoma - so salty!!", I thought perhaps you objected to the overly salty corn chips they serve with sandwiches.

(Sorry, just catching up on some old threads.)

That's been my only objection to the place, which otherwise is friendly, clean, a very cool. A coffee shop with a great outdoor garden, accessible from the bike path, and with REAL bike racks out back? And in winter a warm environment to chat, read a book, or grab a bite. I have always found the staff quite friendly, if a bit harried, as one would expect at a popular place.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Friendly Service

Postby Marvell » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:52 pm

bikinchef wrote:the food pretty blows

Hey - you said it; I didn't.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 pm

The food isn't bad, but neither is it interesting. (Ask for a sandwich, they'll give you a sandwich.) Maybe that's what they're aiming for. Good food and successful businesses rarely cross paths, after all.

But the service is usually friendly, for what that's worth. I prefer efficiency, really, and consider friendliness the pure-cream whipped topping on the experience. They clearly have some work to do in terms of efficiency.

But what I really like is their back yard overlooking the Bicycle River, with the community gardens beyond. So very nice. Like an unstaged reenactment of Seurat's The Riverfront.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues