MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Fromagination...cheese on the square

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby Korrigan » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:58 am

Ducatista wrote:
bikinchef wrote:They could not survive on condo dwellers, look at Jacobson Bros., gone...

Jacobson Bros is gone because it wasn't very good.

They also made dramatic cutbacks in hours and products toward the end, staffing irregularities, etc. At the beginning, one of the Jacobsons was around a lot and that seemed to help. We bought all of our meat there, and even milk because it was right there. I remember the last time I tried to go there, the hours had been cut to 9-2---sorta difficult for condo dwellers who work .

When I look at the businesses on the square, what do they have that I actually need, as a downtown resident? Perhaps the cheese place will do best in the winter, when the market is moved and drastically smaller. Plus it's there every day. I hope to visit it soon!!
Korrigan
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:22 am

fennel wrote:We can only thank our stars that the emerging artisinal makers here did not sit back on their haunches and learn to revel in what was around them.

No, they went abroad to taste and to ask questions. Upwards and onwards.

Well, I wasn't directing my post to them, was I? Unless you're a cheesemaker, I was directing my post to you, the consumer who tries to prove his/her market knowledge in order to get precisely what he/she wants. Of course the cheesemakers should continue to innovate and expand. But when you stick your head back into the facilities and say "hey, could you get on the stick with my taleggio? I'm absolutely starving for it"... I guess that seems a little snobbish to me.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:42 am

For what it's worth... my sis lives in France and tells me they save the crappy stuff for export.

She said she just bought a 2 pound wheel of Gruyere for the equivalent of $2.50 here.

She told me the standard meal there is a salad or pasta with olive oil, GOOD cheese, bread, and a yogurt for dessert... she promises to bring me a few wheels home this Xmas. I can't wait... I hope the stinky things make it through customs. I mean, there was the cheese bomb thing at Mitchell field.... I hope my Fromage doesn't get sacrificed for our country's security...
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zelda » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:57 am

This may be completely irrelevant, but does anyone follow the World Championship Cheese contest?

From the 2006 results:

"Overall, U.S. cheesemakers dominated the competition, earning gold medals in 27 of the total 47 cheese categories judged. The U.S. also took gold in both butter classes and in the retail packaging class. Netherlands came in second among the countries, with six golds; Canada had five. Other countries winning gold medals were Austria, Australia, Denmark, Italy, Spain and Switzerland.

Among U.S. states, Wisconsin dominated with 17 gold medals. Idaho took three gold medals, Vermont and New York each took two, and New Jersey, New Hampshire and Ohio each took one gold medal.

The World Championship Cheese Contest is the largest international cheese and butter competition in the world. For more information on the contest, as well as complete results for all 50 entry classes and contest photos, visit WCMA’s website at www.wischeesemakersassn.org.
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:18 am

The contest is suspiciously held here in madison though. I suspect that it's like the first Ultimate Fighting Championship, wherein a particular martial arts dojo decided to prove it was better than everyone else and then had such unappealing rules and prizes that only lame WWF wannabes participated early on.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:42 am

TAsunder wrote:The contest is suspiciously held here in madison though. I suspect that it's like the first Ultimate Fighting Championship, wherein a particular martial arts dojo decided to prove it was better than everyone else and then had such unappealing rules and prizes that only lame WWF wannabes participated early on.

Right. From what I understand, the American Cheese Society is where artisinal makers try to make their mark. Wisconsin isn't as well represented there in terms of numbers. California reigns and I think next is Vermont. Bleu Mont and Pleasant Ridge, among others, have done very well, though. So we've got the quality, just not yet the quantity.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:47 am

evansvillehousewife wrote:For what it's worth... my sis lives in France and tells me they save the crappy stuff for export.

She said she just bought a 2 pound wheel of Gruyere for the equivalent of $2.50 here.

She told me the standard meal there is a salad or pasta with olive oil, GOOD cheese, bread, and a yogurt for dessert... she promises to bring me a few wheels home this Xmas. I can't wait... I hope the stinky things make it through customs. I mean, there was the cheese bomb thing at Mitchell field.... I hope my Fromage doesn't get sacrificed for our country's security...

It just might. When I visited France two months ago, the U.S. was not allowing travelers to bring home dairy products from the EU, due to an outbreak of foot and mouth disease this summer in the UK.

We ended up enjoying our fromage in the Dublin airport.

I'm not certain if that restriction is still in place.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:56 pm

I finally broke down and checked out their salami sandwich. Off the chain... let me break it down:

hard sourdough sub roll
complex olive tapenade
imported dried salami
provolone/mozzarella
three small gherkins on the side

At $7.50, a winner...
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:11 pm

dstol62 wrote:imported dried salami

Oh Canada!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:22 am

white_rabbit wrote:Have you tried Brennan's?

Absolutely, everyone needs to shop at Brennan's. Their produce and cheeses are definitely worth the money.

Between the samples and the money I can spend, I really need to show restraint when I'm shopping there.

Try the Honeycrisp Apples.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:33 am

HeyZeus wrote:Try the Honeycrisp Apples.

I love Honeycrisp apples. You don't need to shop at Brennan's to get them, though. They're available in regular grocery stores.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:36 am

Honeycrisp is the sensation of the season. I've heard them discussed on sports talk radio, on blogs, in line at the bank, etc., etc.

I have found them bagged at Woodman's and a la carte at Copp's, both have been excellent.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:38 am

jjoyce wrote:Honeycrisp is the sensation of the season. I've heard them discussed on sports talk radio, on blogs, in line at the bank, etc., etc.

I have found them bagged at Woodman's and a la carte at Copp's, both have been excellent.

Last couple seasons, actually. Every hole-in-the-wall on Highway 42 in Door County has a sign on the roadside practically shouting "HONEYCRISPS HERE."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:39 am

Honeycrisps, like fujis, are highly overrated. My favorite apple from the market thus far are the various empire apples.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:49 pm

'Liberty' all the way.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues