MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Samba Brazilian Steakhouse

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Samba Brazilian Steakhouse

Postby proponent » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:40 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the new "Brazilian" steakhouse where Avol's Bookstore used to stand?
It's slated to open to the public tomorrow (10/16).
Don't expect too many Brazilian dishes as this place seems to meet all criteria for trendy/fushion places that spend way too much money on a gaudy interior and omit any thought to the menu. Not much sticking to any theme here; Nothing traditional; Nothing really "Brazilian". 400 seats. Anyone hear crickets?
proponent

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:47 pm

So you're trashing a place before it's even open? And you're a first time poster?

Please, tell me where I should go to eat to avoid being a victim of this horrible establishment?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Samba Brazilian Steakhouse

Postby @wood » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:46 pm

What is "fushion"? Is that like, when you remove your never washed $400 jeans and use it as soup stock?
@wood
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:40 pm

It's another word for "beanbag chair." It's a mashup of "fun" and "cushion."

proponent, you didn't by chance work for Avol's, did you?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ridthyevil » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:00 am

proponent, you didn't by chance work for Avol's, did you?

I was thinking the same thing!
ridthyevil

Postby NullDevice » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:19 pm

I'm not expecting feoijada in this town, but I wouldn't mind one of those crazy churrascaria-style meatstorm places in town.

If the meat is good, varied, and plentiful, I'm all for it.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:53 pm

I was lucky enough to have 3 pretty good Brazilian places in my old neighborhood, so I welcome the chance to try this place. Authentic Brazilian fare is great and never fusiony at all from what I've had, and churrascaria can be fun too. It seems like students might get a kick out of it and the price is usually right...

Not sure if Null's experience is similar, but they basically have an all-you-can-eat for $12-15 lunch or $15-20 dinner, and you get the choice of lots of sides, salads, desserts and sometimes sushi (I know its weird, but the deal is that Brazilians love their sushi, and so churrascarias began offering it in the states after the trend began in Brazil). Then you sit down and waiters with all different types of grilled meats come by and offer you fresh slices from a skewer. Of course, I always have a very full stomach afterwards. Great for meat eaters on a budget, and the quality of the meat was always good (the other stuff was pretty fair).

Regular Brazilian is the shit too, love the fried plantains and yummy rice and beans with chicken...someone go check this place out and post a review!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:55 pm

btw, gaudy interior was a requisite with a man-made waterfall, fishtanks and ugly ass decor in general...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:04 pm

Samba now has a website.

http://www.sambabraziliangrill.com/

Not much content as of yet.

Also, a prior forum discussion here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zelda » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:04 am

I stopped by Samba on my way home last night, about 7:30. Nice bar area, another area with small tables and an area with stuffed chairs and a sofa, if I recall correctly. I like the look and feel of the place - wood, black, but with some color. Low lighting, low music (thankfully!) All the staff were friendly and helpful - although it wasn't very busy at the time, mostly people at the bar so they weren't overworked.
I didn't have time to sit and eat and still catch my bus so I asked for the feijoada as takeout. The description struck me as a bit amusing - "Brazilian black bean stew with sausages, bacon, and meats." Meats? What does that mean??? Some of their takeout containers hadn't arrived so they apologized and had to improvise the takeout part. It arrived home safely nevertheless, and was very good. I enjoyed it with a glass of red wine and it was sufficient for a meal.
I chatted with a bartender while I waited and he explained what the upstairs would be like when it opened in November. It does sound great but I won't describe it as it has been covered in another thread.
Apologies for not putting this in the "reviews" but as we already have two threads on Samba...
I am looking forward to returning for a full meal.
zelda
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues