MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

quiznos

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

quiznos

Postby eriedasch » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Yes, I know complaining about this place is like wondering why your stomach aches after eating greasy fast food but is putting a little lettuce, tomato, etc. on a small $6 sub too much to ask? Evidently yes.

For a lunch time sub I normally go to Gino's Deli or if I'm without a vehicle I walk over to Milio's, but it was raining today and Quiznos is just across the parking lot.

Maybe I ordered the wrong thing but thought if they are charging $5+ for a small (over $6 w/ tax) it would at least have a good amount of toppings on it. Nope. Just a little bit of meat (was supposed to be prime rib peppercorn or something, not much taste at all), a few sauteed onions, and the thinnest, tiniest layer of cheese I think I've ever seen. May have even been fake cheese spread.

I'm sure most people already have an opinion of the place and I realize now why it's generally empty when I go past it everyday to/from work, but if you don't and are considering it, don't bother. If you are OK with a small shitty sub with little flavor, save your money and go to Subway or Cousins. I bet they will at least put lettuce and tomatoes on it if you ask nicely.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:58 pm

Lettuce and tomato on a prime rib peppercorn sandwich? Maybe they didn't put it on because it doesn't belong there. Did you even ask for those toppings?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DMeister » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:06 pm

I have enjoyed a few prime rib subs at quiznos(err, I was really baked when I went there), the peppercorn one wasn't great. I liked the cheese steak one better.

But both subs are really just hot and wet. Steak Escape is much better.
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:11 pm

Next time you're around the Square, look at the logo of Quizno's. Has anyone else noticed that the supposed steaming loaf of bread looks a little to close to the dead cockroach from the old Black Flag Bug Spray logo?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:28 pm

Wow.
I actually like Q a lot.
And I could house a family of rabbits they put on my various versios of turkey sadnwich.
And the condimaent buffet! Banana peppers!
Yea!
I like Q. A Lot.
But the best part is guy who has been there since day one---helpful to a fault, pleasant greeting every single goddam day.
Love him/them/it.

(PS: ask for stuff---they give it to you!)
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:37 pm

blunt, straight-up channelling beenthere.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:09 pm

Q tastes great and makes you feel like crap.

I almost stopped eating there after their freaky commercials.

Image (alt+p)
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:27 pm

Generally speaking, I like Quizno's OK, but Gino's subs are WAY better.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:05 am

gargantua wrote:Generally speaking, I like Quizno's OK, but Gino's subs are WAY better.

I'd put Gino's as my fave, even more so because of the salads you can get on the side.

The Potbelly sandwich place in the mall has the only hot pepper relish that actually makes me sweat...
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:11 am

Does Quiznos have something against veggies on subs? They seem to be treated as an afterthought. They sprinkle the lettuce on like there like it's shredded $20 bills.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:30 pm

Like I said: I ask for lettuce. Lots.
Please toss a large clump on there, sir.
And I pile on pickles and banana peppers because they match my personality.
Many times I say Don't Toast It!
It's crazy. They do whatever I want!

REQUEST: I love talking sandwiches but remember, Forons: we need details or the thread is pointless!
Was it a turkey sandwich or French? At Geno's, I get the Girabadi; at Paisan's I get the Adelle; at Gotham I get the Long-Guy-Land.
I need to not only know where to go to and what to hate but why.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:24 am

ShaneDog wrote:Does Quiznos have something against veggies on subs? They seem to be treated as an afterthought. They sprinkle the lettuce on like there like it's shredded $20 bills.

I guess that was my point - the fact they didn't even ask and I didn't read the fine print on the menu (if it even existed) that you could have lettuce or other traditional sub veggies added if you so desired.

I'm also guessing that Blunt likes Q's in the same way I like Gino's (deli). They make a great sub for me everytime because I am somewhat of a regular.

But the big difference would be Blunt has been there enough to train the workers to know he wants a LOT of lettuce and whatever else that can be added to make the Q's worth it to him. On the other hand at Gino's they make a good sub for you no matter if you are a regular or not. Good amounts of meat, veggies etc. for everyone, not to mention a small sub is not $6 at Ginos.

Furthermore it likely has to do with location. I went to the one on Junction Road. Blunt is talking about the one on the square. The veteran sub guy at the downtown location probably has one or two up on the clueless high schoolers working at Junction location. The 3 young men behind the counter seriously had trouble not giving my sub to someone else. Not that I expect much from a fast food chain, but just saying...
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:35 pm

I wrote a song about that nice man at the Capitol Quizno's. He's the best food employee I've ever dealt with...ever.
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:32 am

Omar.
I think his wife works the register. Haven't been there in a long time, since Cousins opened up.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:52 pm

blunt wrote:I like Q. A Lot.
But the best part is guy who has been there since day one---helpful to a fault, pleasant greeting every single goddam day.
Love him/them/it.

Omar.
I don't go much anymore, whatever they call that avocado/avocado flavoring tastes weird. I hit Cousins unless I'm trying to eat light and go to Subway.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues