MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Ex- restaurant owner says the best lunch is....

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Ex- restaurant owner says the best lunch is....

Postby workboy7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:51 pm

I'm one of the folks who read these posts, know the topics and the people involved, and fail to timely or interestingly respond. I'd like to recomend the BEST lunch in Madison. The Peoples Bakery (Best donuts in town) is located in a small strip mall on East Washington across from the Walgreens and Burger King area. I've thought about posting this info before but I wasn't sure of it's quality; and honestly, I didn't want to hear the fallout if I was wrong. The owners are a Lebanese family who sell an amazing spread. They seem to be so set on donut sales that a happy diner sitting, waiting, hoping for a truly suprising meal is embraced in a fashion that too many restuarants fail to achieve. The place is worth a try, especially to those who think they are good judges of a quality place.

P.S.- any questions about Dog Eat Dog, Atlas Pasta, Francois Bakery, The Argus, Cafe Continential, Opera House, Taqueria Gila Monster, Pooly's, Club Majestic, Ohio Tavern, The Local tavern, Opus, Sundance 608 ......let me know.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Re: Ex- restaurant owner says the best lunch is....

Postby Veeder » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:53 pm

workboy7 wrote: They seem to be so set on donut sales that a happy diner sitting, waiting, hoping for a truly suprising meal is embraced in a fashion that too many restuarants fail to achieve.

What the hell are you talking about?
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

What Im talking about

Postby workboy7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:58 pm

I don't think most folks know the Peoples Bakery sells more than donuts, and it seems the owners like selling a good meal more than a box of donuts...does that answer your question?
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby jhain » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:39 pm

Their tabouli is among the finest. The falafel wasn't as good as I'd hoped but certainly good enough to pick up when I'm in that part of town.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What Im talking about

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:34 pm

workboy7 wrote:I don't think most folks know the Peoples Bakery sells more than donuts, and it seems the owners like selling a good meal more than a box of donuts...does that answer your question?

They've got a sign in the window that reads "LUNCH TODAY." It's there every day. I don't think it's a secret.

That being said, I love LOVE their donuts, and if I ever had the time or occasion, I'd happily give their non-ring-shaped items a try.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:52 pm

Maybe this is the way to go with restaurant reviews, but I've heard enough to be interested and yet I know almost nothing of the place.

What do they have? What did you have? How much?

I know almost enough to stop by, but I need a little push in the form of what is good or something.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Highly recommended Middle Eastern fare. Excellent Hummus and Baba Ganouch. I think they have a Chicken Shwarma sandwich as well. Its right by my neiborhood and yet I don't get there often enough.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ex- restaurant owner says the best lunch is....

Postby blunt » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:43 pm

workboy7 wrote:I'm one of the folks who read these posts, know the topics and the people involved, and fail to timely or interestingly respond. I'd like to recomend the BEST lunch in Madison. The Peoples Bakery (Best donuts in town) is located in a small strip mall on East Washington across from the Walgreens and Burger King area.

P.S.- any questions about Dog Eat Dog, Atlas Pasta, Francois Bakery, The Argus, Cafe Continential, Opera House, Taqueria Gila Monster, Pooly's, Club Majestic, Ohio Tavern, The Local tavern, Opus, Sundance 608 ......let me know.

I love that! I, too, describe that part of town as the Burger King area.
But whoa! You have inside info on all those places?
Owned them? Got fired from them?
Conspiring minds want to know.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:54 pm

I'd like to know what I should order the next time I go to Taqueria Gila Monster.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:59 pm

For some reason, sitting in a strip mall on East Washington across from a Walgreens and a Burger King doesn't strike me as a particularly appealing spot to have lunch.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:03 pm

aaron wrote:For some reason, sitting in a strip mall on East Washington across from a Walgreens and a Burger King doesn't strike me as a particularly appealing spot to have lunch.

You'd think, but its a friendly, little independent store-really worth trying-and the windows don't point directly towards the Burger King anyway.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:35 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I'd like to know what I should order the next time I go to Taqueria Gila Monster.

I'd suggest anything with cheese in it. They get it delivered fresh every day from Atlas Pasta.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:38 pm

O.J. wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I'd like to know what I should order the next time I go to Taqueria Gila Monster.

I'd suggest anything with cheese in it. They get it delivered fresh every day from Atlas Pasta.

Maybe a pain au chocolat from Francois' Bakery would be a good dessert option.

Seriously, did this thread pop out of a time capsule or something?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:48 pm

aaron wrote:For some reason, sitting in a strip mall on East Washington across from a Walgreens and a Burger King doesn't strike me as a particularly appealing spot to have lunch.

Don't discount it just because of where the business is located. It could be a genuine diamond in the rough.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:30 pm

But whoa! You have inside info on all those places?
Owned them? Got fired from them?
Conspiring minds want to know.[/quote]

Sorry for the coyness, but I know the facts and the fiction of the named establishments; facts, not gossip. Any questions? Let me know
workboy7
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues