MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Specialty beer grocery store?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Specialty beer grocery store?

Postby theloniouszen » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:36 pm

I just moved here and wanted to know, is there a grocery store or party store that sells specialty beer and wine? More than you can get at the local grocery store or liquor store? I'm looking for some rarer German beers and I would assume there'd be somewhere in town.
theloniouszen

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:58 am

Jenifer Street Market.

Woodman's.

Brennan's.

I've been known to ask a recon question in the past, but it's only after living here a few years. Doesn't anyone get to know their new city on their own anymore?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:12 am

Steve's on University has a fine selection.
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:40 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I've been known to ask a recon question in the past, but it's only after living here a few years. Doesn't anyone get to know their new city on their own anymore?

You're pretty crotchety aren't ya, TBP?

PS. I second Steve's on University.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:50 am

auntgoodness wrote:You're pretty crotchety aren't ya, TBP?

Only before 7 in the morning. Right now, I'm a ray of friggin sunshine.

Kinda forgot about Steve's. The west side location is pretty decent too.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:53 am

Make sure you check bottling dates on the micros at Woodman's. They'll sell you skunky beer without a second thought.

Sun Prairie is getting a specialty wine and micro shop on Main Street. I chatted with the owners on Saturday.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:07 am

Downtown, Riley's has a decent selection.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:39 am

Kind of on this topic, does anybody know of a well-stocked liquor store that might be hidden around the edge of town so that I wouldn't have heard of it? The only good booze I ever buy is the orange-flavored Belvedere vodka, which seems to have recently disappeared from everywhere but Steve's, and they only sometimes have it. Meanwhile, I stopped at a store in Waukesha yesterday and they were overflowing with it, for cheaper than at Steve's. We brought a bunch home, but obviously I'm not going to take a two-hour trip every time I need vodka.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:50 am

Try Liquor Town on Verona at Williamsburg Way. I find they stock a lot of my favorite mid-priced liquors and it reminds me of all the neighborhood liquor stores that sponsored softball teams my dad played for over the years.

Indeed, it seems most of the "liquor" stores in the central city have given over to wine and beer. I'm a big fan of Barriques for its Wall of 100, but it's not the ideal spot to go for bottles of booze. Woodman's is obviously great as well, but that's sometimes a decent drive and a lot of hassle for one or two items.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:53 pm

Woodman's is my default grocery store, and used to be a great supplier of flavored Belvedere ($28/L, as I recall, before they stopped carrying it). I'll check out Liquor Town; with east side Savers closing, my wife will be headed to the west side for supplies more often anyway.

As to the more beer/wine comment, I've done a lot of traveling this year and have noticed it everywhere I've gone. We were in Vancouver a couple weeks ago, and the province-run BC Liquor Stores were essentially huge wine warehouses. Same trend in the US from Boston to San Francisco. Ironically, Woodman's, with their half-dozen or so aisles of booze, is the one place I haven't noticed it.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby theloniouszen » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:32 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I've been known to ask a recon question in the past, but it's only after living here a few years. Doesn't anyone get to know their new city on their own anymore?

Well, I appreciate your answers, but I thought this was what this forum was for - to talk to other people about food and restaurants and stores in Madison, and ask questions. I just moved to the state for work and none of my coworkers live in Madison and I don't know anyone else yet. We live in Monona and i've been to Copps, Willy St Coop, Luigi's on Monona drive, and Brasserie V (which has amazing beer)

Thanks for everyone's responses.
theloniouszen

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 pm

I know, I know. I already acknowledged my grumpus-ness. Good luck in your beer quest! If you see me in the Jenifer walk-in, say hello.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:03 pm

TheBookPolice wrote: If you see me in the Jenifer walk-in, say hello.

I know sometimes I leave the house, see someone, and push air through my throat and lips to create all the proper sounds but gawd, doesn't anybody just stay at home and bitch at each other online anymore?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:04 pm

blunt wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote: If you see me in the Jenifer walk-in, say hello.

I know sometimes I leave the house, see someone, and push air through my throat and lips to create all the proper sounds but gawd, doesn't anybody just stay at home and bitch at each other online anymore?

I deserved that.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby theloniouszen » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:47 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I know, I know. I already acknowledged my grumpus-ness. Good luck in your beer quest! If you see me in the Jenifer walk-in, say hello.

We went to Woodman's tonight since it's closest to where we are and came back with Tripel Carmeliet, Golden Monkey, and Boddingtons..we will go there many times in the future, it's great when you haven't even heard of half the stuff there. It sort of has a weird decor though - it's the size of a super-walmart but it's all grocery and has all the wood paneling, signage, and clientele of a small-town of an IGA..had a lot of character!
theloniouszen

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues