MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bulk spices on east side?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Bulk spices on east side?

Postby Paco » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:23 am

Went to Copps near Southtowne to get my spices. They seemed to have stopped selling spices in bulk, now just sell candy, choc balls, etc in bulk. Magic Mill was my 2nd option, but they are gone now.

Anyone know where on the east side I can get my spices in bulk? (Besides Willy St Co-op, no membership and don't really want one.)
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bulk spices on east side?

Postby Wino » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:29 am

Paco wrote:Went to Copps near Southtowne to get my spices. They seemed to have stopped selling spices in bulk, now just sell candy, choc balls, etc in bulk. Magic Mill was my 2nd option, but they are gone now.

Anyone know where on the east side I can get my spices in bulk? (Besides Willy St Co-op, no membership and don't really want one.)

The Copps on Shopko Dr is where I get mine on the East side. Their spices are organic and generally very fresh and fragrant.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby roadkill bill » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Just west of Magic Mill's former location is Penzy's, possibly the best place in Wisconsin to get spices.

Also on that same strip of University Ave is Whole Foods, and they definitely have bulk spices.

Even if you don't have a membership in Willy St Co-op, you can still shop there. They are probably the best bet for bulk spices on the east side. If you don't want to pay the extra 10% for non-members, you could get a friend to purchase for you. I'm sure you know a few people that have memberships!
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby equuspower » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:52 pm

Yes, I'd recommend Willy St. co-op. There is a good turn over there and the herbs are normally fresh (for dried herbs, that is) :wink:
equuspower
Forum Addict

Postby neuwaver » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:51 pm

You may want to go back and poke around - Copp's at Whitney redid their bulk section to be mostly candy and stuff but I did find the bulk spices on an endcap.
I really had to look around though.
neuwaver

Postby theloniouszen » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:11 am

On a related note, I know there's willy st. co-op for bulk tea (looseleaf) but is there anywhere else in town that would have more of a selection? Is that white lotus store good for tea or just herbs as their website (http://www.whitelotusteatime.com) sort of lets on?
theloniouszen

Postby Paco » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:00 am

I asked a guy who worked there, but he did seem pretty clueless about everything. I'll go to the one near Copps, I'm more familiar with that one anyway.
I'm sure Willy has it, but not going to buy a membership to buy some spices.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Paco wrote:I'm sure Willy has it, but not going to buy a membership to buy some spices.

Not to worry. They'll let you buy other things as well.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:26 pm

Paco -

Once again, you don't have to be a member of Willy St Co-op to shop there. Anyone can shop there, but you get charged 10% extra. Also, if you are a member of another co-op, they have reciprocal agreements. (For instance, I'm a member of Regent Co-op.)
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PeterSteinberg » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:37 pm

theloniouszen wrote:Is that white lotus store good for tea or just herbs as their website (http://www.whitelotusteatime.com) sort of lets on?

White Lotus has a reasonable selection of loose leaf teas. It was mostly the Rishi lines the last time I was in there, but that was a while ago.
PeterSteinberg

Postby ellie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Penzy's is the go-to joint, although there are a lot of good spices to be found at Yue-Wah on Park st. I go there for bulk spices in the Indian and Mexican food asiles.
I hate going to Copp's, ever since they bought out the Kohl's stores and shut them down, killing off jobs and taking away the neigborhood store to feed that monster up on Aberg. They're also more expensive than Woodmans.
At Woodman's you can find a lot of bulk spices in the Mexican racks right inside the door near the checkouts by the photo lab end of the store.
I hate buying anything at the Willy St. Co-op.
If you don't have the right color purple dreadlocks they treat you like you're just messing up your day by shopping there.
Nobody can tell you where what you're looking for might be, and when you get in line the checkout people act like Chatty Cathy dolls with their pals, making you wait till they're done talking about their trust funds or some other non store related crap.
ellie

Postby morriskatze » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:13 am

ellie wrote:I hate buying anything at the Willy St. Co-op.
If you don't have the right color purple dreadlocks they treat you like you're just messing up your day by shopping there.
Nobody can tell you where what you're looking for might be, and when you get in line the checkout people act like Chatty Cathy dolls with their pals, making you wait till they're done talking about their trust funds or some other non store related crap.

I disagree. I've seen a couple rude cashiers at Willy St., but no worse than the teenagers at Copp's chatting away or the cashiers at Woodman's who don't really smile even though they own the place. Mostly people at Willy St. are really nice, even if they're "funny" looking (like it's any of my business how they wear their hair anyway).

I don't like Woodman's b/c I can never find anything I want there, and the carts rattle too much over their silly tile floors. Gives me a damn headache.
morriskatze

Postby NullDevice » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:20 pm

"Woodman's: Where Shopping Is a Baffling Ordeal!"

Awesome booze section, though.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby morriskatze » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:56 pm

NullDevice wrote:"Woodman's: Where Shopping Is a Baffling Ordeal!"

Awesome booze section, though.

Agreed. They do have some cool stuff in-store, too, when I can find it.
morriskatze

Postby Paco » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:33 pm

From todays 'America's Test Kitchen' email...

When we tasted chili powders in 2000, Spice Islands bettered eight other brands with its "big flavor" and "smoky character." But one brand was absent from that tasting: Penzeys, a mail-order company that we often use here in the test kitchen. We decided to hold a tasting update, pitting Penzeys chili powder against previous winner Spice Islands and McCormick's, which finished fourth in our last tasting and is the most common supermarket brand. We again tasted the powders in a modified chili recipe, leaving out all other spices and seasonings so the chili powder could shine.

As in our previous contest, tasters were underwhelmed overall by the chili powders. But again, Spice Islands bested the competition, with a "sweet," "smoky" flavor that was "much more potent than the other two." Penzeys finished last, with a "flat," "bland" flavor. McCormick's was deemed "rather mild," with a "hint of heat at the end."

Even though Spice Islands chili powder is hard to come by here on the East Coast (it is ubiquitous in supermarkets on the West Coast; we get ours from a mail-order company), we'll continue to use it in the test kitchen.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues