MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

MadResWeek is back, baby.

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm

The wife and I are doing steak and Italian for resto week, pretty standard. I think we just want to be able to explore the entire menu when we do go to a really nice place...We are looking for a fine dining establishment for V-Day though, any suggestions? We've been to most of the places in town, looking for something off the beaten path maybe.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:48 pm

No, I haven't called Muramoto's for reservations yet. I don't usually know my work schedule ahead of time so I'm not sure yet what day I'll have time for a longer lunch. I was hoping to go at the beginning of the week before too many people find out about it but it might be too late for that now.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Velvet Coffin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:04 pm

Sushi Muramoto only takes reservations for groups of six or more. I was told to expect a wait if I show up during the dinner rush. (Which, of course, is exactly what my dining companion has decided we have to do. :roll: )
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:14 am

TheBookPolice wrote:All I can say is "ALL YOU CAN EAT SUSHI" at Sushi Muramoto.

Got there last night. A table of seven of us hit upon the following formula:

1. Complete a menu together, balancing favorites with pieces we don't usually have the nerve to try.

2. Gape in amazement at the platter brought to the table, trying to remember the waiter's overview of which is which.

3. Forget which is which, and for that matter, what we even ordered.

4. Just eat whatever is in front of us.

5. Repeat 2x.

It may be the most fun I've ever had in a restaurant. If not, it was close.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:13 pm

mrak wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:All I can say is "ALL YOU CAN EAT SUSHI" at Sushi Muramoto.

Got there last night. A table of seven of us hit upon the following formula:

1. Complete a menu together, balancing favorites with pieces we don't usually have the nerve to try.

2. Gape in amazement at the platter brought to the table, trying to remember the waiter's overview of which is which.

3. Forget which is which, and for that matter, what we even ordered.

4. Just eat whatever is in front of us.

5. Repeat 2x.

It may be the most fun I've ever had in a restaurant. If not, it was close.

Mrak, I just went for lunch with a friend and followed the same basic guidelines. When you're in some semi-serious conversation, even just two people can easily forget what's what on the plate.

So, the kicker at Muramoto for lunch: it's $25, not $15. The host informed us of this when we told her were were there for the restaurant week promotion. Said the folks running the promotional website never corrected the error.

We sat down at the sushi bar anyhow and enjoyed ourselves, making our way through three rounds of all kinds of goodies. It was my first time there (same for my friend), and I was quite satisfied. The seafood chowder was okay, but the corn seemed to taste slightly off in a canned (not frozen) sort of way. Ice cream was nice, but again, nothing to blow me out of the water. The strength (not surprisingly) is in the sushi, and everything was delicious and well-presented. Good times.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Brief thoughts on Fresco

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:59 am

(apparently the Fresco thread was abolished in the Forocalypse. this will have to do.)

This was my first trip to Fresco. My initial impression, which took until the entree to adequately verbalize, was that this must be what the first-class section of an airliner feels like. Cramped, loud, walls right in your face, and spotty service.

We were packed like sardines into our booth, and with the server standing at one end of the table of four, those of us on the other end of the table could barely hear her. It didn't help that she barely cracked mouse-volume.

The food, at least, was all very good. The scallop was tender, and the lardons were (of course) wonderful. The "crisp" cocktail of Tanq 10, grapefruit and lime (?) matched very well. The stuffed pork tenderloin was also quite good, if not mind-blowingly fantastic. Maybe too much fruit in the stuffing? The protein-to-filler ratio could have been a little bigger, although the filler was tasty. The poached pear was great, with the sauce and creme complementing perfectly.

The bites I had of the salmon and the beignets were also excellent.

As far as restaurant experiences go, I could take or leave Fresco. Too busy, too loud, too cramped. Maybe when it isn't a get-out-the-eat event, or during the summer, Fresco feels more like fine dining. As it was last night, it felt like a Boeing.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:02 pm

I've only been to Fresco once, and it is better during the summer when they have more tables outside and the inside of the restaurant isn't as crowded. The view from there is great. The food was very good and the service was good too. I think we had two waiters (one was in training).

Thanks for the info on Muramoto's lunch prices. I guess I won't go there this time although it does sound like fun. It looks like I'm not going to be able to go to Harvest either; I'm going to have to call and cancel my reservations as my husband is still sick with a bad cold.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:48 pm

My wife and I had a wonderful dinner at Ocean Grill this evening. I had the salmon and she the ahi tacos. The place was packed but the staff was friendly, prompt and eager despite their reservation system crashing. The entrees were wonderful and the creme brulee was sublime. It was nice to see a packed restaurant on a weekday night in late January.

Great idea, but perhaps next year maybe the organizers should consider running the promotion for two weeks. I'd love to try more restaurants but just don't have the opportunity to hit more than one or two a week. And yes the restaurants do have to discount the food a little, but in our case we more than made it up with the bottle of wine we had with dinner and the ports we ordered with dessert so they are definately making a profit despite the discount on the menu.
Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:04 am

Love Ocean Grill and Muramoto, very good stuff.

We tried the Capitol Chophouse last night. As expected its your typical high end steakhouse, very good prime rib and delicious desserts. We were bummed that they chose a Caesar salad and onion soup as dinner apps for the special menu, but a non-anchovy salad and clam chowder as the lunch ones, and no substitutions. Also enjoyed some excellent oysters and horseradish smashed potatoes.

Restaurants must make out like bandits for this event. Calculating menu costs for most featured dishes results in really only a free dessert. The only way to "save" money by going involves sticking to the $25 menu only plus one drink. For us, add in the 6 oysters, a side dish, wine ($14/glass), and dessert wine, and our bill was more than double the 50 bucks for two "restaurant week" meals before tax and tip.

I too would vote for a more extended week so we could go to more places. Considering the profits that participating restos must make, I'm sure they would be into it. Tonight we do Lombardino's, my goal is to try to stick to the $25 menu, could be tough...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:12 am

Cocoliquot for me and a friend last night. That steak frites is going to haunt me well after they close. Absolutely delicious.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:33 pm

Cocoliquot is so wonderful. I might have to try to make it there one or two times yet before they close. Steak frites +1. The two celery soup was amazing. Desserts were, if not outstanding, at least satisfying. And I can't wait for David Bacco's shop to open; we got a Thai peanut butter, a cider caramel, a Tahitian vanilla, and a Caribbean fire. They're so good.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:50 pm

I totally agree, we are bummed its closing.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues