MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Vom Fass

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby fennel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:03 pm

mshapiro wrote:He had three sharpening wheels, and asked if I wanted the area where the heel met the bolster sharpened (it increases the amount of rocking that's possible, he said).

Well, that's interesting. I was just in there to ask him if he had a solution for the bolster interfering with sharpening (as it does if you just run it through a sharpening machine). It annoyingly results in a concavity to the cutting curve, which grows worse with each sharpening. His common-sense response was to slightly grind the bolster, too. Who knew anyone actually did that anymore. I'm sold.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:29 am

foodie foodie foodie foodie FOODIE foodie Foodie FoODie FOODIE FOOODIE

FOODIE
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:04 am

The Pompatus of Food.
Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:12 am

Like I needed that song in my head on a Monday morning.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:53 am

mshapiro wrote:I went there this afternoon to have him sharpen two knives -- I think it's called Madison Cutlery. The guy who was there (Bill?) said he used to work in a cutlery place in Chicago; his store reminds me of a smaller Northwest Cutlery. He had three sharpening wheels, and asked if I wanted the area where the heel met the bolster sharpened (it increases the amount of rocking that's possible, he said). He had a smart selection of kitchen tools (no gadgets) and some really excellent digital scales for weighing ingredients. Definitely worth a visit.

He ran Northwestern Cutlery for five years, he told me, and his name's Bill Peterson.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Vom Fass

Postby michael » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm Michael Holm, shift-manager at Vom Fass Madison and a culinary graduate of Le Cordon Bleu of Minnesota.

Though I've worked in fine dining for most of my life, I've never experienced the level of quality found in Vom Fass' products. The nut and seed oils we sell are stone milled by an artisan producer in France, cold-pressed, unfiltered, and fresh from the producer to you. This gives a flavor, aroma, and nutrient level that are unmatched in the U.S. Our wellness oils are also produced in the same fashion. Examples include wild rose, evening primrose, and black cumin. Some of these have rejuvenating properties when used externally for skin care, and some have been used for centuries by many cultures as cure-alls.

The fruit balsams are unique to the U.S. They are produced by Vom Fass in Waldburg, Germany. In most cases, they are made from 100 percent juice. Fruit juice is fermented into wine, a mother of vinegar is introduced, and the result is a fruit vinegar such as cherry, raspberry, black currant. These are so palatable they can even be used as a base for an aperitif to cleanse the palate between courses or before dessert. They also make fantastic salad dressings and additions to sauces.

The other unique food products we carry include flavor infused Italian filtered extra virgin olive oils. In Waldburg, we add essences of natural products to the imported oil. For example, we add lemon, orange, tangerine (great with seafood, fish, or poultry), porcine mushroom, basil, rosemary, and red pepper (spicy).

We also have an ever-expanding number of single malt scotches, brandies, rums, and tequila. For Scotches, 24-year-old Mac Duff is the smoothest. My favorite is Teananich, which has a well balanced peat and smoke taste. Auchentoshen is one of the only scotches that guests recognize from the states. It is one of the only triple distilled to come from Scotland, and is very pure with a hint of smoke. Linkwood has a bit of smoke, and is very smooth. Glencadem has a finish of caramel. Glenburgie has a tone of vanilla. We chose these scotches in particular because most were previously not imported to the U.S. For brandies, we have in two cognacs, two armagnacs, an Italian, and a Spanish that has subtle tones of clove and allspice (my favorite). Each has a unique character. For rums, the 17-year-old Guyana is suited for sipping, being very smooth and complex. We have a 100 percent blue agave resposado tequila that is very smooth. My favorite, however, is a 34-year-old calvados of Normandy, France. The aroma makes me sigh. Also in stock is a 13-year-old that is more up-front and less complex.

The wines we have in stock come from local distributors. All are produced by estate owned, non-commodity based producers, as with all of our products. The selection will evolve over time. Presently we have a wide range of varietals, and regions represented, priced from less than $10/750mL to more than $40/375mL. Our wines are available for tasting, as well, as we vacuum seal them between tastings, so they stay good for long enough to justify that.

Currently, visitors to our website will be redirected to the European site. However, Vom Fass' U.S. site will be fully functional early this year with mail-order ability.

Please come and visit our location and Wisconsin Cutlery next door, along with Penzey's, of course, and Lee's Oriental market, as we truly are the new culinary Mecca of Madison.

Look. Taste. Enjoy.

Michael
Last edited by michael on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
michael

Postby fennel » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:56 pm

You know, I was eager to try out the offerings there, but I found the showroom to be eerily reminiscent of an L.A. pet-mortuary-to-the-stars. Sorry, but it feels like John Waters meets Liberace. More precisely, the atmosphere evokes anything but the sense that the products come from the earth (soil, good old dirt, etc.) If this were a Beatrice Foods Flavor Outlet in the Mall of America, I can't imagine it looking much different.

I don't mean to be a downer, since the concept seems really interesting, but another unsettling aspect is the floor staff. From my experience working in chef-owned restaurants, it's important to be warm, welcoming, and informative â€â€
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:28 pm

I picked up some delicious pumpkin seed oil at Vom Fass this past weekend. I've been eating it by the spoonful. So many things to try and buy, not enough time or money!

Welcome to Madison!
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues