MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Refrigerate after opening

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Refrigerate after opening

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:02 pm

I can understand why mayo or organic peanut butter should be stored in the fridge after opening, as nasty stuff could grow on them if left at room temperature. But hot sauce? If the sauce contains only peppers, water, vinegar and garlic, I don't see a problem. Hot peppers were traditionally used as a preservative. I can't image anything bad growing in my Frank's after I open the bottle. I keep it in a kitchen cupboard and I've never gotten sick because of it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:18 pm

Growing up, there were many things we kept in the cabinet that most people now keep in the frige. Ketchup and mustard are two that comes to mind.

For me, it's more a question of prolonging the life of the product. I don't eat much ketchup, unlike the situation in my childhood home, where we ate hamburgers and hotdogs on a regular basis, and there were three kids.

On the other end of the spectrum, I did research in Peru for awhile, and lived in a village with no electricity at all. We had all sorts of things that sat out with no refrigeration, including cheese (my primary protein source while there.)

Yes, I got sick, but never due to not having a refrigerator. Food preparation by others or lack of clean water were the culprits every time.

I think "refrigerate after opening" is like "dry clean only" - advising the greatest care with the product, so your butt is covered in case something happens.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:25 pm

Is there a "refrigerate" warning on Franks...I don't recall ever seeing one, unless it's a new liability concern(as Robbie posted).
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 pm

O.J. wrote:Is there a "refrigerate" warning on Franks...I don't recall ever seeing one, unless it's a new liability concern(as Robbie posted).

Oops, not on Frank's. But there is such a warning on my bottle of Matouk's, and that is made with Scotch Bonnet peppers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:01 pm

This sounds like a case for America's Test Kitchen / Cooks Illustrated.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
O.J. wrote:Is there a "refrigerate" warning on Franks...I don't recall ever seeing one, unless it's a new liability concern(as Robbie posted).

Oops, not on Frank's. But there is such a warning on my bottle of Matouk's, and that is made with Scotch Bonnet peppers.

That has papaya, doesn't it? Or mango? There are probably sufficiently more nutrients in fruit that it warrants refrigeration. I don't think hot peppers have much of a preservative effect so much as salt and vinegar.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:19 pm

Some hot sauces contain a fair amount of sugar, and I'd definitely keep them cold. I don't keep my hot sauce in the fridge, but I do keep my ketchup and chili sauce in there.

But keep the bananas out of the fridge, they do poorly in there.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:32 pm

Speaking of fruit and sugar, I knew there was another category of food that my family never refrigerated: jellies and jams. They were in the kitchen cabinet (I think.)

Then again, maybe it was the three kids, jelly on toast every morning, PB&Js, etc. that meant there wasn't time for it to go bad.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:39 pm

Sounds like you can test it out for us Hank, something to do in retirement. See how long you can keep it at room temp without getting sick.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:43 pm

There's nothing worse than kneeling in front of, or sitting on the porcelain god, asking yourself, why did I or didn't I?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:32 pm

Paco wrote:Sounds like you can test it out for us Hank, something to do in retirement. See how long you can keep it at room temp without getting sick.
I do keep my Matouk's in the icebox, because of that warning, but thanks for the suggestion.

It's consistency is a lot more like a salsa than Frank's. Modified corn starch and mustard, but no papaya or sugar. It even has potassium sorbate as a preservative.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Hot stuff lasts safely for a longer time.
Eat things off the floor.
Leave chicken out overnight.
Exercise your immune system like the cockroach.
Stop using antibacterial saop.

end of transmission
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:35 pm

blunt wrote:Hot stuff lasts safely for a longer time.
Eat things off the floor.
Leave chicken out overnight.
Exercise your immune system like the cockroach.
Stop using antibacterial saop.

end of transmission

"suck on lead toys" got left off.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maxine » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:45 pm

blunt wrote:Exercise your immune system like the cockroach.

You can chop off the head off a cockroach and it can still live for weeks. Have you adapted that talent yet?
Maxine
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:25 am

Henry Vilas wrote:It's consistency is a lot more like a salsa than Frank's. Modified corn starch and mustard, but no papaya or sugar. It even has potassium sorbate as a preservative.

It's not this one? :
http://www.asiamex.com/proddetail.cfm?C ... SubCatID=8
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues