MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Universitylad's New Year's Day Meal--> Help with Shitaki

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Universitylad's New Year's Day Meal--> Help with Shitaki

Postby universitylad » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:51 am

I'm planning on making a beef roast in my crock pot tomorrow. I will place a roast, some Au Jus mix, and a few onions, garlic and carrots into the crockpot and let it cook all day until the meat gets to a "stringy" consistency.

I also purchased some Shitaki mushrooms and debating what do to with them. Should I throw them into the crock pot and let them cook with the rest of the meal? Otherwise, I was thinking about sauting them some chopped shallots and having them separately.

Also I have about a cup of KumQuats let from the holidays. Anyone have any good uses for them?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:14 pm

You have to take the stems off the shiitake mushrooms before eating them. Some people leave the stems in the soup (or whatever you are making) for flavor and take them out before serving. They are too chewy.

Kumquats, I've never been able to make any sense of those.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:35 pm

snoqueen wrote:You have to take the stems off the shiitake mushrooms before eating them. Some people leave the stems in the soup (or whatever you are making) for flavor and take them out before serving. They are too chewy.

Shitake stems can be slightly woody, but there's no need to remove them. No sense in tossing out half the mushroom. If they're fresh, and you're sauteeing, it helps to split the stem longitudinally. If they're dried soak them for at least 45 minutes, keeping the water for stocks.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues