MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, March 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Anyone eaten at Natt Spil lately?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Anyone eaten at Natt Spil lately?

Postby Rosemary » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:30 pm

Haven't been in a few months and am curious about the seasonal choices.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby square » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:43 pm

all i can think of that they've added is the crab soup
square
Forum Addict

Postby dstol62 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:00 pm

Had the braised brisket special made by Chef Dave. It was "off the chain", as was the squash soup...
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:30 pm

I had a few "pub-y" things there. They were ok. I didn't get the impression that the menu changed much from my friends who had eaten there before. One of my friends theorized that it's a drug money laundering business. I don't know why I bring that up except that it would explain a lot of things about that place, including their possibly made-up seasonal fare and cash only policy. Unfortunately I find it more likely that it's just a normal business with strange practices.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DMuhammad7 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:00 pm

Stop Dry-Snitching
DMuhammad7

Postby spanky » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:55 am

TAsunder wrote:I had a few "pub-y" things there. They were ok. I didn't get the impression that the menu changed much from my friends who had eaten there before. One of my friends theorized that it's a drug money laundering business. I don't know why I bring that up except that it would explain a lot of things about that place, including their possibly made-up seasonal fare and cash only policy. Unfortunately I find it more likely that it's just a normal business with strange practices.

That was fun!
Would that it were true, alas...
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:26 am

the back room was built to smoke a joint in. if you couldn't tell. that was before madison cleared the air back in july 2005, of course.
square
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:56 pm

The opium den built to smoke a joint in? Funny. Funnier is that the giant photo is a woman, not a man. I think.

As for the money-laundering theory, wha...? I've always been under the impression that the cash-only terms helps lower costs, as does the fact that the owners probably get better price breaks for buying quantities to cover several restaurants. (And someone please help me recall -- Prentice and his brother [right?] are responsible for Magnus, Natt Spil, the Weary, and a couple other places, right?)

Thanks for the help, y'all. It's such a small menu that I wasn't expecting a complete makeover, just a couple rotating seasonal spots. The braised brisket, squash soup, and crab soup all sound great.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby spanky » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:17 am

Rosemary wrote:The opium den built to smoke a joint in? Funny. Funnier is that the giant photo is a woman, not a man. I think.

As for the money-laundering theory, wha...? I've always been under the impression that the cash-only terms helps lower costs, as does the fact that the owners probably get better price breaks for buying quantities to cover several restaurants. (And someone please help me recall -- Prentice and his brother [right?] are responsible for Magnus, Natt Spil, the Weary, and a couple other places, right?)

Thanks for the help, y'all. It's such a small menu that I wasn't expecting a complete makeover, just a couple rotating seasonal spots. The braised brisket, squash soup, and crab soup all sound great.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues