MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Korean Grocery Stores in Madison

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Korean Grocery Stores in Madison

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:59 pm

I have a Korean friend (from Milwaukee) who's wondering if there's any good Korean grocery stores in town.

Any recommendations?
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Korean Grocery Stores in Madison

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:49 am

HeyZeus wrote:I have a Korean friend (from Milwaukee) who's wondering if there's any good Korean grocery stores in town.

Any recommendations?

"there's"?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:59 am

Grammar aside, Lee's Oriental on University is primarily Korean. For all your kimchi needs...

Yue Wah has a Korean section, although it's not especially large. Oriental Shop also stocks some Korean ingredients.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PeterSteinberg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:47 pm

The Oriental Food Mart, at 1206 S. Park Street (a couple of doors south of where Olin meets Park) has a pretty large selection of Korean stuff, including a meat counter and some non-food stuff.

If you really want a nice Korean store, try the H-Mart in Niles or Naperville (http://www.hmart.com).
PeterSteinberg

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 pm

PeterSteinberg wrote:The Oriental Food Mart, at 1206 S. Park Street (a couple of doors south of where Olin meets Park) has a pretty large selection of Korean stuff, including a meat counter and some non-food stuff.

If you really want a nice Korean store, try the H-Mart in Niles or Naperville (http://www.hmart.com).

Yeah, the two people I know who are Korean say that you need to go to Chicago/Suburbs for the "good stuff."

Thank you to all for the input!
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:19 pm

Thanks again to all - We hit all the Asian grocers on Park Street and Lee's on University. Lee's was the best. (like I would know)

The guy behind the counter (Lee?) even told my friend how to make a certain dish. Since I don't speak ANY Korean, I was lost. But she had a great time.

Surprisingly enough, my friend says there are NO Asian grocers in Milwaukee. Strange.

Thanks again!
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:02 pm

HeyZeus wrote:
Surprisingly enough, my friend says there are NO Asian grocers in Milwaukee. Strange.

Thanks again!

Sounds like your friend needs to get out more.

There are tons of Asian stores, although the vast majority are geared toward Southeast Asians: Rhino and Viet Hoa are two of the better known ones.

Asian Mart on 3rd between Juneau and Highland is more of pan-Asian place with Japanese and Korean items.
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Sheppy wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:

Thanks again!

Sounds like your friend needs to get out more.

There are tons of Asian stores, although the vast majority are geared toward Southeast Asians: Rhino and Viet Hoa are two of the better known ones.

Asian Mart on 3rd between Juneau and Highland is more of pan-Asian place with Japanese and Korean items.

That's quite possible. She's quite introverted. I think she enjoyed her experience at Lee's though.

All of those stores are a blur to me now, but I remember one store had a fish counter, so slopped up with fish juice I almost got sick. Doesn't the Dept of Health ever check those places?
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby foursixquebec » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:03 pm

HeyZeus wrote:
Sheppy wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:

Thanks again!

That's not true!! There are several. I'm from MKE & I found a lot of them by searching "asian grocery store milwaukee" or "asian grocer milwaukee"

Not necessarily primarily Korean, but definitely stock some Korean ingredients, that's why I started checking them out.

Asian Mart
(414) 765-9211
1125 N Old World 3rd St, Milwaukee, WI

Anh Chau Oriental Market Incorporated
(414) 384-0370
3170 S 27th St, Milwaukee, WI

Market Asian Intl
(414) 647-0812
3417 W National Ave, Milwaukee, WI

Asian International Market
(414) 383-4188
3401 W National Ave, Milwaukee, WI

Asian Foods
(414) 536-8660
6816 W Hampton Ave, Milwaukee, WI

I know there's another that I LOVED to go to on the North Side near where I live - but I can't for the life of me recall the name.

Never mind, I found it:::

Chu Hai Oriental Market
7510 W Appleton Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53216
(414) 536-7626

It's great - not in the nicest part of town, but still great.
foursixquebec

Return to Cooking & Food issues