MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Quinton's - City could pull liquor license?!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Quinton's - City could pull liquor license?!

Postby missice12 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:28 pm

An article in the Wisconsin State Journal:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/topstories/273168

"For the first time, Madison is formally threatening the liquor license of restaurant for operating like a tavern.

The city filed a complaint against Quinton 's, licensed in 2005 as a restaurant and required to close an hour before bar time, because an audit showed alcohol sales accounted for more than half of gross receipts, meaning the establishment fits the legal definition of a tavern."

This is ridiculous ... just one more way Madison will drive new businesses out of the city. Com'on Madison get real!
missice12

Postby massimo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:31 pm

Quinton's serves food??
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Com'on Madison get real!

They knew the rules. They agreed to the rules. They broke the rules. They were less than honest about it. That's real.
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Quinton's - City could pull liquor license?!

Postby jhain » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:41 pm

missice12 wrote:This is ridiculous ... just one more way Madison will drive new businesses out of the city. Com'on Madison get real!

Most businesses abide by the conditions of their license.

Should all businesses be able to violate their licenses or just this one?

And, as the article states, there will be a hearing to allow for a process in which the city and Quinton's both get to present their cases.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby missice12 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:46 pm

We're talking about alcohol sales that accounted for 50.82%.

Let's focus on restaurants AND taverns where violence is a problem. Violence in Madison is up as a whole ... yet nobody wants to talk about that. Instead, lets revoke a license which in turn will not generate revenue for the city and now the slippery slope starts.
missice12

Postby jhain » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 pm

missice12 wrote:We're talking about alcohol sales that accounted for 50.82%.

Let's focus on restaurants AND taverns where violence is a problem. Violence in Madison is up as a whole ... yet nobody wants to talk about that. Instead, lets revoke a license which in turn will not generate revenue for the city and now the slippery slope starts.

Should all businesses be able to violate their licenses or just this one?
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby missice12 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:59 pm

No, I don't think they should violate. And, I realize there will be a hearing for both sides to state their case.

For all of the problems that Madison is encountering with downtown busineses I would rather see them go after violence and crime to make our city safer. This situation is small potatos at a time like this.
missice12

Postby massimo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:02 pm

So you're saying the city can either go after Quinton's or go after crime and violence. Have you considered the possibility that the city can do both? Also, have you met beenthere?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:08 pm

missice12 wrote:For all of the problems that Madison is encountering with downtown busineses I would rather see them go after violence and crime to make our city safer. This situation is small potatos at a time like this.

Perhaps you should re-read the article you linked to.

One part states:
Keeping restaurants from becoming bars is important because "the density of alcohol licenses has been shown to be one of the triggers of crime and violence, " Capitol Neighborhoods president Ledell Zellers said.

--

The fact that the city and ALRC are looking at this does not preclude other actions being taken to address crime and violence. You act like the city can only do one thing at a time and should refrain from enforcing license violations.

You are arguing in favor of un-licensed taverns being tolerated in our community. Is this really your belief or do you or one of your friends or family happen to work at Quinton's?
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby missice12 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:29 pm

While you would think the city could do both ... they seem to have a problem doing so.

Listen, I am not for anybody violating licenses. As stated in the article, "Perhaps they 're a victim of their own success". If Quinton's had been in the newspapers for underage drinking, violence, smoking violations, etc. I wouldn't be posting at all.

I would hope that ALRC and Capitol Neighborhoods Inc. will be watching the Majestic as they have brought back their DJ's at nite.

What I am sick of is Madison making it hard for businesses to succeed. This incldues retail, corporations, restaurants, etc.

I'm not associated with Quinton's ... are you part of ALRC or Cap Neighborhoods? Seems like it.
missice12

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 pm

missice12 wrote:What I am sick of is Madison making it hard for businesses to succeed. This incldues retail, corporations, restaurants, etc.

Sure you are. How is that Madison is still economically afloat and opening new businesses after all these years of bemoaned terrible conditions placed upon new businesses?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:58 pm

missice12 wrote:If Quinton's had been in the newspapers for underage drinking, violence, smoking violations, etc. I wouldn't be posting at all.

OK. Now I see, some violations should be enforced but not others.

missice12 wrote:I would hope that ALRC and Capitol Neighborhoods Inc. will be watching the Majestic as they have brought back their DJ's at nite.

What makes you think they aren't? Why does this have a bearing on Quinton's operating outside the parameters of their license?

missice12 wrote:What I am sick of is Madison making it hard for businesses to succeed. This incldues retail, corporations, restaurants, etc.

As a small business owner I haven't felt that the city makes it hard to succeed. They've always been helpful when I have questions about city rules and regulations. I've had inspectors require actions that I'd prefer not to take but, whatever, I hold a license and have agreed to follow the rules. Why Quinton's should get a pass is beyond me.

Serving alcohol is a big responsibility and as Mr. Breakfast said earlier, Quinton's knew and agreed to the rules. They made a choice to break the rules. If the city ignores the situation we will see more restaurants operating as taverns. This increases the odds of crime and violence. Eventually, one will have a problem and then, all the sudden, the city will be blamed for not enforcing the rules. I don't see a lot of wiggle room in this case.

missice12 wrote:Listen, I am not for anybody violating licenses.

Right... They just shouldn't have to be held accountable when they do.... Very interesting approach to law enforcement.

missice12 wrote:I'm not associated with Quinton's ... are you part of ALRC or Cap Neighborhoods? Seems like it.

I'm not part of either organization. I generally think Capital Neighborhoods goes too far in their desire to restrict taverns downtown but chose to quote them because that part of the article directly addressed your concerns about crime and violence.

For full disclosure, my wife is on the ALRC. We have not discussed this case beyond the fact that they would be holding a hearing about Quinton's. I learned more about this issue from the article you posted than I have from conversation with her.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Miss Allison Fester Pith » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:47 pm

The lily-white mahogony and teal powers-that-be seem unable to peer out of their unendangered free range organic faux ivory towers and observe REALITY.
They need to relax their heavy-handed baby-sitting pogrom for one moment and ask what us free-range organic humans want!
We don't care about bus wraps except WE CAN'T SEE OUT THE WINDOWS.
We don't care that bars sell more booze than food---WE JUST WANT TO EAT AND DRINK!
Quintons is a wonderfully idiosyncratic odd fellows temple of very good sandwiches, darn good salads, and huge glasses of Sierra Nevada called Big Girls.
Now who doesn't like using both hands to lift a Big Girl into the air?
No fights, great jukebox, and the prostitution is inexpensive.
I see absolutely NO REASON to twiddle with Quinton's except as an unattractive show of abstract muscle-flexing and abstemious bullying by culture police.

Ridiculous. Leave Quinton's alone!
Miss Allison Fester Pith

Postby fennel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:29 pm

Would such a fuss be made if Quinton's were a gas station?

I guess it is, in a sense. Maybe that's the point of the law.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Miss Allison Fester Pith » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:34 pm

fennel wrote:Would such a fuss be made if Quinton's were a gas station?

I guess it is, in a sense. Maybe that's the point of the law.

The law should protect us. Many bars where people have been shot are still in business. Is that only because they served just enough crab cakes?
Quintons ever hurt anyone.
Miss Allison Fester Pith

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues