MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Quinton's - City could pull liquor license?!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby juanton » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:25 pm

missice12 wrote:We're talking about alcohol sales that accounted for 50.82%.

Where does this number come from, i.e. 50.82%? I couldn't find it in the article, except for the comments.

Ah I see it now. Wow.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Miss Allison Fester Pith wrote:Is that only because they served just enough crab cakes?

Whaaa? Quinton's serves crabcakes? Why did nobody tell me this? That warrants at least some measure of dispensation.

I'm curious, though. Since it's a matter of gross receipts, couldn't they just increase the price of their token food offerings and lower the price of their booze? But then, I suppose the differential would be self-correcting once word got around.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:17 pm

Miss Allison Fester Pith wrote:I see absolutely NO REASON to twiddle with Quinton's

I absolutely agree. I love crazy-gluing quarters to the sidewalks infront of Quinton's and then sitting in the window, drinking a big girl and watch the young flesh-buckets walk by and bend over to try and pick up the coin.
Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Miss Allison Fester Pith wrote:The law should protect us..

Right. That's why there are different rules for restaurants and taverns. The law recognizes that taverns have the potential to be dangerous and allows for oversight regarding security plans. When a restaurant just decides to ignore their license and become a bar they have violated the public trust that issued them the license in the first place.

From the press accounts, it sounds like they've purposefully and knowingly violated the terms of the license. They know the conditions on their license but somehow managed to have an accounting system that didn't track food and alcohol sales separately.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Miss Allison Fester Pith » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
Miss Allison Fester Pith wrote:I see absolutely NO REASON to twiddle with Quinton's

I absolutely agree. I love crazy-gluing quarters to the sidewalks infront of Quinton's and then sitting in the window, drinking a big girl and watch the young flesh-buckets walk by and bend over to try and pick up the coin.

Wait. Now you sound like blunt at the Pub, in, amongst, and allowing old men in ancient letter jackets to buy him lots and lots of drinks.
Miss Allison Fester Pith

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:24 pm

Miss Allison Fester Pith wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

Wait. Now you sound like blunt at the Pub, in, amongst, and allowing old men in ancient letter jackets to buy him lots and lots of drinks.

DAMN IT!!! You've busted me, I confess...I'm blunt's sock puppet.
Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Miss Allison Fester Pith » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:24 pm

jhain wrote:
Miss Allison Fester Pith wrote:The law should protect us..

Right. That's why there are different rules for restaurants and taverns. The law recognizes that taverns have the potential to be dangerous and allows for oversight regarding security plans. When a restaurant just decides to ignore their license and become a bar they have violated the public trust that issued them the license in the first place.

From the press accounts, it sounds like they've purposefully and knowingly violated the terms of the license. They know the conditions on their license but somehow managed to have an accounting system that didn't track food and alcohol sales separately.

It seems you're treading dangerously close to the irrational enforcement of abstract rules while closing thine eyes to the reality of situational ethics. When we start closing down wonderful bar/restaurants because of microscopic percentage points, we start yanking the hearts of human beings from their chests and flinging them at the wall, where they sadly slide to floor in moist heartbroken heaps.
Miss Allison Fester Pith

Postby square » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:21 pm

Miss Allison Fester Pith wrote:When we start closing down wonderful bar/restaurants because of blah blah blah

wait have you BEEN to quinton's????
square
Forum Addict

Postby jhain » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:05 am

Miss Allison Fester Pith wrote:It seems you're treading dangerously close to the irrational enforcement of abstract rules while closing thine eyes to the reality of situational ethics. When we start closing down wonderful bar/restaurants because of microscopic percentage points, we start yanking the hearts of human beings from their chests and flinging them at the wall, where they sadly slide to floor in moist heartbroken heaps.

What criterea would you suggest the city use when a neighborhood group brings a (potentially valid) complaint against a business?

I hear what you're saying about irrational enforement but the flip side is an environment where licensees are not held to the standards they have agreed to. Perhaps restaurants should have more leeway with this. I'm not sure what the correct sort of policy should be. But it should be a public discussion, not ad hoc and at the restaurant's discretion.

I've never been to Quinton's! But it sounds like people like it. Supporters should buy lots of food to help them get their numbers right. After dinner and desert order another couple of meals to take home. Buy a few for friends and a few to freeze for an emergency. Quniton's should sell nice tupperware with their logo on it to encourage take home meals.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:48 am

jhain wrote:I've never been to Quinton's! But it sounds like people like it. Supporters should buy lots of food to help them get their numbers right. After dinner and desert order another couple of meals to take home. Buy a few for friends and a few to freeze for an emergency. Quniton's should sell nice tupperware with their logo on it to encourage take home meals.

This could also work for businesses with excessive build up of icy crap on their sidewalks. If loyal customers really wanted to support their favorite business in it's efforts to avoid ordinance violations, the business could provide snow and ice removal equipment for the customers to use while they enjoy their slice of pizza or cup of coffee.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Troy Thiel » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:22 am

The bummer about some of this is that the place has excellent food...I hope they weather this issue and make it here. And they've got great beers on tap...all good things in moderation eh?

Does anyone know what the increase in Alcohol sales has been in the downtown corridor? has it grown with the increased density projects of the last 5 years? All these kids are much closer to the bar life as a result...just curious.
Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:34 pm

I've been to Quintons an d I like it.
Chrome, food, beer, patio---what's there to hate?
And jhain: a Neughborhood Group is just another name for busybodies that demand lawns mown to a certain height and houses painted within bland guidelines.
The food-booze ratio law just only be used when a bar/restaurant HAS POLICE CALLS and then it can be used as a tool.
But when the bar is a benign enjoyable place, then closing them down to that abitrary law you are simply blindly and pointlessly enforcing bullshit.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:34 pm

[quote="blunt"]I've been to Quintons and what's there to hate?[/quote]

how about all the douchebags that drink there after 10pm?
square
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:25 pm

square wrote:
blunt wrote:I've been to Quintons and what's there to hate?

Ah.
I never go to downtown bars after 10 pm.
Neither should you.

Happy hours really are.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:27 pm

square wrote:
blunt wrote:I've been to Quintons and what's there to hate?

When those douchebags cause trouble then we should use that ratio law to threaten and punish the bar.
But don't close down bars just because of a few unsold corndogs.
That's punishment before a crime.

I never go to downtown bars after 10 pm.
Neither should you.
Happy hours really are.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues