MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Dexter's Pub

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Dexter's Pub

Postby Rosemary » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:30 pm

Anyone?

I just read Wisconsin Fish Fry's review of their fried delights and am now salivating. (Blame that also on the fact that I've been sick for two weeks and haven't had a beer in over a week, much less fried food.)

I'll get there eventually, but... have you been? What did you think?
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:46 pm

I was there with a couple friends two Fridays ago. We each got a different fish: cod, bluegill, and walleye. The cod was thick, Avenue-style, but lighter, crispier, and just better IMO. I thought the bluegill was fantastic, it reminded me of shore lunches from when I was younger. The walleye was also good, but couldn't match the other two (not a huge walleye fan, though).

The salads were nice mixed green affairs, nobody tried any of the soups (I think the clam chowder was gone by the time we got there).

The staff at Dexter's, in my opinion, is quite adept at deep frying stuff. The Cheese curds and buffalo wings were GBD. The potatoes that came with the fish were also tasty, but the pub chips (thin cut potatoes, like potato chips but a little thicker) deserve special mention.

I basically agree with everything the review you read stated. I'll be back for sure.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:51 pm

SO. HUNGRY. NOW.

I should know this, but what's GBD? And do they serve fried fish on Fridays only?

Any recollection of the beer selection?

Thanks for your input!
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:16 pm

Yeah, I'm gettin' a bit hungry myself :)

Oh, GBD is an Alton Brown-ism: Golden Brown and Delicious. Sorry...

Beers: probably about 16 or so on tap, pretty varied, from bud light to ale asylum, leines, capital, and a bunch of bottles, too-- not too familiar yet with what they got, but the selection is not thin by any means.

I think fish is pretty much a Friday thing, at least their special fish fry menu. Not sure if there's a fish selection on the menu regularly, but there's always deep fried goodness to be had.

(No, I'm not affiliated with the place, it's just close to my home and is rapidly becoming my default hang out... BTW, for hold-em players, there's a tourney every Tuesday, 7:30 start, pretty good time.)
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:38 pm

For those not in the know, this is the old Steven's (or later the Sandlot) on North St.

Thanks for posting. That's not far from my house as well and always looking for a good new fish fry to try.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:45 pm

Glad to hear it's changed hands.

I always liked Stevens. The Sandlot, on the other hand, blew.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Note: not affiliated with the place, but have friends who are friends with the new owner.

Dexter's is owned by Nick, formerly of the Big 10 Pub. He did a lot to raise the level of beer selection at the Big 10, and he's working on the stuff at Dexter's bit by bit. Obviously the two pubs cater to a different clientele, but he's doing things slowly to see what works and what doesn't. Some of the staffers have stayed, and some new staffers have come in as well.

In terms of beers, I know that he brought in a line of some Lake Louie (I think it was the Scotch Ale) a while back that people thought would never sell, and it flew out the door. People are probably more willing to experiment than some might think. He also hosted the BCRF beer tasting and chocolate contest a few weeks ago, which was a great opportunity for a lot of the microwbreweries and brewpubs to network and get some beer lovers into the place.

Given the recent demise of Wonder's I know several dedicated microbrew lovers who are shifting some of their loyalty to Dexter's. Wonder helped Nick out with the BCRF event as well.

Summary: check the place out, and give them some time to find their groove. Some of the newer meal offerings haven't worked out as well as planned, but some have gone very well, so I imagine it'll continue to evolve for a while. They're good people, and they deserve support.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:34 pm

I love it. Our neighborhood has a pub.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:02 pm

Isn't Dexter the serial killer serial killer? I guess after a long day of serially killing serial killers, a hardworking serial killer serial killer needs to unwind with a cold one. I'd wonder what was really in the sloppy joes, though.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby 4real » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:01 am

Thankyou Dexter's! We stopped by twice on a Friday night-no b.s. waiting like the Avenue, Old Fashioned, Esquire and Alt 'n Bach's (my other fried fish faves). The chowder was really good, but had bacon in it-so watch out Catholics and veggies. The fish and the waffle fries were outstanding, the service was spot on. Oh yeah, the beers!!!! Too often in cowtown you have to choose between good less expensive eats and decent libations. Nick has got it all! Please go eat there and give them some money so they can get rid of the Craplot's sign and maybe spiff up the interior a bit. It could use some hipness. But that's my only complaint.. $6.25 for awesome fried fish-right on!
4real

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Isn't Dexter the serial killer serial killer? I guess after a long day of serially killing serial killers, a hardworking serial killer serial killer needs to unwind with a cold one. I'd wonder what was really in the sloppy joes, though.

The daily papers' Rhythm section had a review of Dexter's a week or so past. They mentioned the HBO series, but said the owner named the place after one of his dogs.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Isn't Dexter the serial killer serial killer?

The daily papers' Rhythm section had a review of Dexter's a week or so past. They mentioned the HBO series, but said the owner named the place after one of his dogs.

Maybe he's just righthanded.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Isn't Dexter the serial killer serial killer? I guess after a long day of serially killing serial killers, a hardworking serial killer serial killer needs to unwind with a cold one. I'd wonder what was really in the sloppy joes, though.

I thought I heard that he named it after a jazz musician...Dexter Gordon, maybe???
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:23 pm

Or after this guy:

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues