MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Friday night Fish Fry experience

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:17 pm

square wrote:i didn't say vegan, i said vegetarian.

You should dump that salad-eating bitch and get yourself a REAL WOMAN!
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:51 pm

square wrote:Are there any restaurants out there with a good local, organic, ethically raised fish fry?

This is a serious question - my vegetarian girlfriend really really wants to cheat on her ethics with a fish fry, but to alleviate her guilt she wants it to be local fish raised ethically and environmentally blah blah blah.

Does anyone do it?

well..considering that wild fish are potentially more "un-organic" than farm raised fish brings up a lot of questions as to what is "organic".
Fish farming isn't like free range grazing beef/pork/poultry. I wish I knew more about it...one thing I do know is there is a lot of misinformation regarding "wild" and "natural" when it comes to buying fish. Fish farms can also cause a lot of problems..depending on where they are located.

My best suggestion is to call restaurants and ask..your best places to start would be anyone who serves bluegill/perch/walleyes..as the chances of them being locally raised/caught/grown are higher.
I'd be interested to know your findings..
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby awestra » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:04 pm

The only place I know of that is locally sourced and used by some restaurants in the area is http://www.rushingwaters.net but... it's trout in most cases and that's not really a fish fry fish.

Also I believe the sell their fish at the farmers market.

Amy
awestra
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:15 pm

kweetech wrote:who's got good perch in town?
I see toby's up there. I dig Quiveys perch..though its gotten a bit pricey.
I need perch!

Jordan's Big Ten Pub on Regent St.
http://www.jordansbig10pub.com/

Great perch and bluegill (among other choices) at a reasonable price. Ask for the bubba fries (wedge fries). Great dipping sauce. Avoid Fridays when the Kohl Center or UW Field House has events, unless you like to wait and wait and wait for seating.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:17 pm

Isn't it funny that Mediterranean tilapia can be farm raised in China? The incongruities of labeling fish is insane. People are more concerned about the fat content of their tuna than the mercury content.
square
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:42 pm

just roll down to the Seafood Center on Whitney. they've got a fairly good sized selection of stuff flown in and frozen.

This all amazingly ties back to a thread her some time ago where I argued I haven't had good seafood since I moved to Madison 5 years ago. I want a maryland crabcake without filler and broiled, I have to go to Maryland.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:59 pm

[quote="Shipley"]I want a maryland crabcake without filler and broiled, I have to go to Maryland.[/quote]

No offense, but I think more people need to realize this. Stop looking for authentic New York pizza or bagels. Stop looking for those local brands from back home. Don't ask where to find a Greek Diner just like you're used to back in Detroit. This is Wisconsin. We have our own regional cuisine. We took ethnic food and we do it our own way. The reason why we don't have good Maryland crabcakes is because there are no crabs here (besides the Gamma Gamma house, but that's a different story). We have a lot of locally produced agriculture here - eat it. Which is why I don't want to eat frozen fish that has to be trucked in to Madison. We have fish here. I'm unfortunately not up to date on fish farming here in Wisco and how that's done, but I'd like to support local responsible agriculture.
square
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:11 pm

Exactly. Can't get a good steak sandwich here either.

On the other hand, I never had a brat until I moved here. My mom visited last year and wondered why her italian sausage tasty funny.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:57 pm

kweetech wrote:your best places to start would be anyone who serves bluegill/perch/walleyes..as the chances of them being locally raised/caught/grown are higher.
I'd be interested to know your findings..

I like kweetech's advice.

These websites might be helpful to decide on what kind of fish an informed consumer might choose:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Hea ... e+Fish.htm

http://www.oceana.org/north-america/pub ... miniguide/
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues