MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Greek Diners or Coney Islands around Madison?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Greek Diners or Coney Islands around Madison?

Postby Newtotown » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:27 pm

Hey all,

We're at "Ma Fischer's" in Milwaukee now... This is the exact type of Greek/huge menu diner that were everywhere in Detroit...

Are there similar places in ( or near ) Madison?

Thanks in advance,

Matt!
Last edited by Newtotown on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newtotown

Re: Greek Diners or Coney Islands around Madison?

Postby fennel » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:00 pm

Newtotown wrote:Hey all,
We're at "Ma Fischer's" in Milwaukee now... This is the exact type of Greek/huge menu diner that were Everywhere in Detroit...

Why do you think we escaped to Madison?

... but, apropos of nothing, I do miss good felafel.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:53 am

The Greek diner seems never to have really taken hold in Madison. I remember them fondly from my time in Chicago, where seemingly every street corner has a joint offering BLTs and spanakopita. My neighborhood Greek diner was Salonica, in Hyde Park, where a waiter once inadvertently torched a tinsel Christmas decoration as he ignited my flaming cheese.

Still, Nick's, 226 State St., is a Greek diner, with a very Madison touch: a huge bar.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:18 am

and there's the coppertop, which qualifies.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:41 pm

Fuck Ma Fischers. Yes, it's owned by Greeks, yes, it's a diner. But it's overpriced and not very good. Fuck Ma Fischers and fuck you for going there.

Try Miss Katie's on 19th and Clybourn next time. Not sure if it's Greek-owned, but it's the same kind of place .... only good.

And, for some reason, the southwestern suburbs of West Milwaukee, West Allis, Greenfield and Hales Corners are loaded with these Greek-owned, 24 hour diner joints. Highway 100 has a bunch of 'em that are all quite decent.
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:38 pm

that's pretty coherent for a drunk guy
square
Forum Addict

Postby chleppr » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:40 pm

I've heard that Atlantis Taverna in Sun Prairie is pretty good. Never been there though...
chleppr

Postby Sheppy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:47 pm

square wrote:that's pretty coherent for a drunk guy

Yeah, well, maybe I don't want to be drunk and stoned all the time, hippie. I mean, I've got a real job with real responsibilities, poncho. What am I supposed to do, explain to my boss that the reason I'm hungover as fuck on a Monday morning is that I took a straw poll on some internet board and "the people" said I should be drunk all the time? That's not gonna work, chachi. Not in my world.

Lemme explain how things work in my world, dood. I've got deadlines to meet. I've got bills to pay. I've got important shit to get done. I need to be of clear and sober mind to accomplish these tasks on a day-in, day-out basis. I don't know how it works in your world, man, but I guess it's alright if you're stoned so long as the pizzas get to their destination in halfway timely manner. Even then it probably no matter because half your customers are baked, as well. Not in my circles, bud. Everyone I encounter professionally is not high. Therefore I cannot be drunk or high whilst serving and attending to their needs, and collecting payment from them. I can't be drunk at work. I tried it for this board's benefit, but no more.
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:42 pm

Newtotown wrote:Hey all,

We're at "Ma Fischer's" in Milwaukee now... This is the exact type of Greek/huge menu diner that were everywhere in Detroit...

Thanks in advance,

Matt!

If you ever find one, can you come back and let us know? I can't be the only other one who is wistful for the days of a 4:00 AM Greek salad.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby square » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:29 am

Which reminds me, how's them hogs in Clear Lake, Iowa?

Sheppy wrote:
square wrote:that's pretty coherent for a drunk guy

Yeah, well, maybe I don't want to be drunk and stoned all the time, hippie. I mean, I've got a real job with real responsibilities, poncho. What am I supposed to do, explain to my boss that the reason I'm hungover as fuck on a Monday morning is that I took a straw poll on some internet board and "the people" said I should be drunk all the time? That's not gonna work, chachi. Not in my world.

Lemme explain how things work in my world, dood. I've got deadlines to meet. I've got bills to pay. I've got important shit to get done. I need to be of clear and sober mind to accomplish these tasks on a day-in, day-out basis. I don't know how it works in your world, man, but I guess it's alright if you're stoned so long as the pizzas get to their destination in halfway timely manner. Even then it probably no matter because half your customers are baked, as well. Not in my circles, bud. Everyone I encounter professionally is not high. Therefore I cannot be drunk or high whilst serving and attending to their needs, and collecting payment from them. I can't be drunk at work. I tried it for this board's benefit, but no more.
square
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:48 am

I ate at Mykonos Family Restaurant on W Capital Drive once. And although what I ordered couldn't of been less greek (Burger & fries), it was really good!

EDIT: Just found Dirty Dining: Mykonos Family Restaurant and Fire Closes Restaurant!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:02 pm

The closest Greek diner is in New Jersey.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby theloniouszen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:12 pm

Sheppy wrote:Fuck Ma Fischers. Yes, it's owned by Greeks, yes, it's a diner. But it's overpriced and not very good. Fuck Ma Fischers and fuck you for going there.

What the hell is this? Some guy goes to a restaurant you don't like and you gotta be this much of an asshole?
theloniouszen

Return to Cooking & Food issues