MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

RIP China Palace?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

RIP China Palace?

Postby AndyMatts » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:12 pm

Does anyone know what is up with Madison's best Chinese resturaunt?

I tried calling over there on Tuesday (April 8th) to order take-out, and got a message that the phone account was "suspended by request of the customer."

That's not disconnected or out of service....

I drove by to see what was up, and the doors were locked, parking lot empty, but no sign up saying they were closed, out of business, on sabbatical, taking a vacation, or whatever.

:(

Does anyone know anything about their fate? I will be seriously bummed if they're out of business, since very few of the places in town do really good Kung Pao chicken, let alone Chinese in general.
AndyMatts

Postby hecky » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:32 pm

I've been keeping an eye out on the parking lot there and it has looked awfully empty of late, although the last time I called (a month ago maybe?) they did answer the phone. I was also told it would be 45-50 minutes before my takeout could be ready. The service was the reason I always hesitated about the place.
hecky
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:32 pm

hecky wrote:I've been keeping an eye out on the parking lot there and it has looked awfully empty of late, although the last time I called (a month ago maybe?) they did answer the phone. I was also told it would be 45-50 minutes before my takeout could be ready. The service was the reason I always hesitated about the place.

The service used to be truly stellar. I remember lots of fun conversations with the wait staff about chinese cuisine and other things. Food arrived promptly and everything.

I don't know what happened but it would seem to be a major management change or something, because the service has been bad enough that people walk out without getting their food. See my thread about the horrible service there.

It would not surprise me if they had to close due to hemorrhaging money.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hecky » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah -- it's definitely closed. Dark and no cars tonight as I drove past.
They did have great food.
hecky
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:27 am

Very sad.

I'd heard they'd been losing money, and I'm nto surprised - that's a tough location and a tough venue. It's HUGE so no matter how many people you pack in it always looks empty. Their service did start tanking, but I can attribute that to cutbacks - when I first started going there'd be several servers, last time I went, there was one.

I hope their chef resurfaces someplace in town. Not everything he did was a win, but a few of their dishes were just heavenly.

That place probably woulda done well as a smaller restaurant that only did their sichaun menu.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry into my Fuschia Dunlop cookbooks.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Also

Postby AndyMatts » Mon May 05, 2008 10:11 am

I read on chowhound.com (?) message board that the chef was hired away by a Chicago restaurant, as well.

And you thought you hated them because of the Bears....
AndyMatts

Return to Cooking & Food issues