MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison dining online

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Madison dining online

Postby workboy7 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:18 am

www.madisondining.com What is this and who ever goes there? Is this just a poor self promotion space or are they getting suckers to pay?
Could I actually be wrong this time? The homepage says ten years they've been around.....
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby lysander » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:48 am

It could be worse. Far, far worse. TDPF was spammed by these folks a while back:
http://www.wheresourfood.com

The sadness overwhelms. It's like some dick tried to reinvent the wheel, started writing stuff down from the phone book, and gave up around the letter 'c'.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:44 am

I tried dining online, but cyberfood leaves me feeling empty.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rachelz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:28 pm

I've got to tell you that the Madison Dining website has been around for at least 7 years. When we lived in La Crosse and my husband worked in Madison (before I found the Daily Page and the establishment of madisonatoz) I went to Madison Dining for reviews as to pick out restaurants to go to when I would come down to Madison as well. I think I posted two reviews, but since it didn't seem to get much traffic, I abandoned it. It's not a bad set up, but it's not useful unless you make the respondent answer all of the questions - otherwise you get a half-picture sort of deal.

Having been there many years back, I can vouch that it was a best attempt at putting together a restaurant review site when there was nothing else out there.

I read the post again about "getting suckers to pay" and went out to the website: First, it's a lot different looking then it was a few years ago; and second, I don't get the "suckers to pay" reference...I didn't find any place [yet] where you have to pay.
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:18 pm

thedailypage.com/eats

What more do you need? An mobile version can be found via tdp.vrvm.com on your wireless device.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:06 pm

What I meant about "getting suckers to pay" is the practice that many websites have/had of charging restaurants to advertise with them based on hard to define numerical data (hits, usage, responses, volume). At least years ago, many folks were not as web savvy as they are today. I don't have anything against that website, I just don't know anything about them, and this forum usually can offer some good insights (if you can wade through the inside jokes, insults, and fennel's moronic meanderings).
workboy7
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues