MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Places you'd hate to work

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Places you'd hate to work

Postby workboy7 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 pm

I was talking to a friend about the Essen House / Come Back Inn after his 4 week employment there, when the subject of shitty places to work came up. I've known countless people working there over the years who have related true horror stories of poor management with Mr Worm and Co. Are there other businesses (5 years or older) that continue to be an employee revolving door? Could this be an indicator of why so many local "institutions" can be hit or miss at best? I know a few that fit this catagory (besides the above listed): Jolly Bob's, The Curve (you pick whick one or when), Glass Nickel, Greenbush, Madisons (never good), The Avenue (3 or more years ago). Others?
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby lysander » Fri May 16, 2008 6:15 am

The Naut-i-Gal seems to be constantly hiring for everything. Craigslist, Isthmus classifieds. Front of house, back of house.

Those 'bartender wanted' ads for those classes are always there, but that's not really a job, more of a scam. Not that AAN would turn down a dollar from even the lowest spammers.

In a non-food related thing, Office Depot and Charter always seem to be not only hiring, but openly desperate in a sad sort of way. Maybe it's the drug testing, maybe it's the painfully low pay and morale crushing thought of where their employees have to drag themselves to, but wow.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:51 am

With so much HR being subcontracted to employment agencies, it's hard to figure out where the real jobs are.

I work at three different places. They all have outside companies come in to do work. I always ask their workers for leads.

I don't know what Office Depot's problem is. I've been buying from them for years. They ought to hire a better CSR, such as myself. I suspect ageism. Their long online application is just hideous. But apparently they don't care.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsa zsa » Fri May 16, 2008 9:16 am

I don't think the Glass Nickel is a bad place to work. I've worked there off and on for years, you get regular raises, the owners work right along side you, and the bonuses are outstanding. Like for example random Brewers tickets. They are flexible and I've always thought, as far as restaurants go, they go the extra mile for their staff. They are always willing to help someone out of a jam, monetarily or otherwise.
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Fri May 16, 2008 9:27 am

Sorry about the Nickel part, I mentioned them because of my experience with the food not being consistant. My friends (and brother) echo your thoughts on the owners being decent.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby zsa zsa » Fri May 16, 2008 9:33 am

workboy7 wrote:Sorry about the Nickel part, I mentioned them because of my experience with the food not being consistant. My friends (and brother) echo your thoughts on the owners being decent.

agreed about the food. fer sure.

I wanted to add that some of the worst places I can think of to work would be:

Waste Water Treatment Plant
DMV
for the city as a Meter Maid (they must take a lot of crap!)
oh, and Denny's
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby anyportinastorm » Fri May 16, 2008 10:31 am

I think one of the highest turnovers has to be with the man who owns Frida's Mexican Grill and the Icon on State Street. Everytime we go in there are new faces behind the bar / waiting tables--and the perpetual Now Hiring signs in the front windows. I have seen him screaming at his employees in front of customers--doesn't look like an environment that encourages longevity amongst its employees.
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 16, 2008 10:34 am

Can we re-title this thread "Worst Restaurants to work"?
Seems to be dominating the responses.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby anyportinastorm » Fri May 16, 2008 11:05 am

maybe this thread should have been placed in the 'catch-all' catagory....but since it's under 'Eats talk and food news' perhaps that is why the theme 'bad restaurants to work at' predominates
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby Elliot » Fri May 16, 2008 6:17 pm

I worked at the Essen Haus/Come Back In for a little while. That place is absolutely horrible. The managers have no idea what they're doing, and worst of all, no one cares. There is blatant distrust of employees, to the point where they WANT to steal from their employer. It's a messed up circle. And Bob Worm is just waiting to sell the property and get the hell out.

Frida's is always hiring, that's a bad sign. I have friends who have worked there and they uniformly hated it. Tutto Pasta is pretty bad, from what I've heard. Biaggi's is always hiring, though I don't know what they're like or why. I worked for Paisan's and I thought everyone in charge there was daft as hell. I just couldn't figure that place out. Shitty comfort food of low quality and yet it's insanely popular?

I'm sure I'll think of others later.
Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby coldspot » Fri May 16, 2008 7:22 pm

Best Western Intowner (Francie's) and Radisson (Basie's) are notorious revolving doors. Why anyone would work at or frequent either of these places is beyond me.

The former chef of Francie's went on to work for Sundance and was just a hopeless joke until he was fired for stealing and just general incompetence. I think he's somewhere in Fitchburg now. Steer clear, the dude can't do anything except shoot his mouth off. I gagged when I read the feature Isthmus did on him awhile back. "Redneck Grunt" is what the caption should have read.
coldspot
Forum Addict

Postby Bruno » Fri May 16, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm self-employed, and I hate my boss :cry:
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby coldspot » Fri May 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Don't hate him Bruno. I'm sure he has a lot going for him that you just haven't thought of :wink: yet.
coldspot
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:55 pm

Sorry, I thought being in the food section was specific enough....yes, food service only was my thought...
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:02 am

coldspot wrote:Best Western Intowner (Francie's) and Radisson (Basie's) are notorious revolving doors. Why anyone would work at or frequent either of these places is beyond me.

The former chef of Francie's went on to work for Sundance and was just a hopeless joke until he was fired for stealing and just general incompetence. I think he's somewhere in Fitchburg now. Steer clear, the dude can't do anything except shoot his mouth off. I gagged when I read the feature Isthmus did on him awhile back. "Redneck Grunt" is what the caption should have read.

TOTAL PRICK, THIEF, CHEATER, SCURGE OF THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY, SCUM, about the nicest things I can say about Sundance's first cook.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues