MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Is there a quality bread bakery in madison?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Is there a quality bread bakery in madison?

Postby Lily » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Ducatista wrote:
redrose wrote:Do people still care about eating homemade, naturally leavened, fresh baked breads- instead of that store bought nutrient lacking stuff?

Sure. And some of those who do, bake their own. I don't mean bread-machine bread, I mean real, by-hand bread...Time consuming, though, so I don't do it very often. Too bad. It makes the house smell amazing.

TOO True. When you find a great bread recipe you love there is nothing better anywhere. Devote a day to mixing, kneading, rising, and baking your bread. Make enough for at least two loaves. Toss one in the freezer since there won't be any preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, or any other unpronounceable stuff you'd never put in your bread. I actually find bread making quite therapeutic and also some darn good arm exercise. Some bakeries in Madison have good stuff. They are expensive but if you don't want the work or don't have the time aren't YOU worth a better quality bread?
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Marvell wrote:Maybe the nuns taught you all wrong, just to fuck with you.

May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?

give that kid a test, get him outta here
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Finally tried Batch:

Very good bread. I'm spoiled now by Cress Spring, but these really are different styles of bread. Batch's multigrain had a nice flavor and texture, and a very nice crust.

We bought two pastries – a slice of pecan/bourbon pie and a galette with cream cheese, blueberries, and strawberries. The pie was really too sweet but, I'd still give it an A grade. (Rich pecan flavor, beautiful crust, etc.) The galette, on the other hand, was just too tasty to critique.

I'm curious to try the croissants next. I haven't had what I think is a good croissant in years, but I also understand they they are a major pain-in-the-tochas to make.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm from the Milwaukee area so I prefer potato pancakes. I wish more restaurants in Madison offered them with their fish fries.

Oh my. I'm not a food fanatic at all -- I live on really simple stuff and my biggest desire is to avoid sugar, white flour, and grease. But potato pancakes with fish fry, Walworth County, about 1960... you really brought back some nice memories here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu May 10, 2012 1:28 pm

If you're in the Milwaukee area, check out Rocket Baby bakery on North ave in Tosa. Great baguette, of the kind I've not seen in Madison in *years*. Scone was good too. And their bacon and cheddar croissant is kind of unreal. :)

How's the bakery at la Brioche/True Food these days? I used to frequent their bakery when it was a tiny place on Midvale (admittedly mostly for the morning buns) but really haven't since they opened the full restaurant.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:41 pm

The multigrain bread at True Food/La Brioche is the best of that category in the city. Period. I have also been a fan of La Campagne Bakery out of Mequon (Metcalfe's carries their Sourdough/Flax in the bakery area).
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues