MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Your favorite offbeat snack stuff?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Your favorite offbeat snack stuff?

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:34 pm

O.J. wrote:Ever since visting Tijuana, my favorite summer snack has been cantaloupe/honeydew, chili peppers, kosher salt and lime juice. Yum.

Not a huge melon fan (ahem), but that sounds pretty damned awesome.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:35 pm

O.J. wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:It's not so offbeat, but my summertime favorite is el cheapo Nestea powdered ice tea mixed about 60/40 with el cheapo Minute Maid lemonade from concentrate, and multigrain Zesta crackers. Nothing says summer like iced tea/lemonade and Zestas.

Ever since visting Tijuana, my favorite summer snack has been cantaloupe/honeydew, chili peppers, kosher salt and lime juice. Yum.

Man, I love the concessions at the donkey shows, too.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:38 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
It's not so offbeat, but my summertime favorite is el cheapo Nestea powdered ice tea mixed about 60/40 with el cheapo Minute Maid lemonade from concentrate

Sounds like a trailer park version of an Arnie Palmer. Ah, mix me up a glass of white trash Arnie Palmer!
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hintzilla » Fri May 01, 2009 1:08 pm

A halved pickled egg is one of my favorites. Sometimes with a squirt of sriracha, but plain most of the time. I haven't had any on hand in quite some time, I should do something about that.

This next one isn't one of my favorites, but I have a friend who loves it. Before I even go into it, yes, it sounds terrible and makes no sense on paper, but somehow it actually manages to taste good. I've heard it called a glop sandwich. It's peanut butter, mayonnaise, and pickle slices on bread. The first time I tried it, my friend wrapped up the ingredients in a tortilla, and while I was pretty reluctant to try it at first, I was really caught off guard by how good it was. Since then, there have been a few times where I've made the sandwich version, and as long as you use good pickles and don't put on too much mayo, it's pretty good.
hintzilla

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 04, 2009 6:53 pm

hintzilla wrote:Since then, there have been a few times where I've made the sandwich version, and as long as you use good pickles and don't put on too much mayo, it's pretty good.

Skip the mayo altogether.

Dill pickle is my favorite peanut-butter-&-_________ sandwich.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues