MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Sweet Impressions on State St

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Sweet Impressions on State St

Postby Ashley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 am

http://www.mysweetmadison.com/
New bakery/sweets shop. Anyone been? They're in one of the old popcorn seller's locations. On Friday and Saturday they're open till 2...truthfully I'm not sure if that is a good idea, after all, how many ppl are going to want gourmet chocolates after bartime? Insomnia Cookies failed after trying to go for the "post bar sweets" category.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Re: Sweet Impressions on State St

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:32 am

Ashley wrote:On Friday and Saturday they're open till 2...truthfully I'm not sure if that is a good idea, after all, how many ppl are going to want gourmet chocolates after bartime? Insomnia Cookies failed after trying to go for the "post bar sweets" category.

As did Sucre, more or less.

I believe this place sells cupcakes as well. Throw all the hottest dessert trends into one little shop and hope it's enough to propel the place to a stable customer base.

I haven't been yet, but I'm interested.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:37 pm

I went in there. Nothing really tempted me. I was hoping they had some really creative cupcakes like I have read about in other cities. Most of them were chocolate cake based. I usually don't like chocolate cake. (I like chocolate, just not chocolate-flavored things like chocolate milk, chocolate ice cream, chocolate cereal, etc.) I left without purchasing anything.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Sweets is for girls.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Can't say I've ever had a bartime sweets craving but then I don't eat much in the form of sweet snacks in general. I'll put a hurting on some chips and guac, though. Mmm. What were we talking about again?
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:49 pm

It's pretty tough for me to take a flyer on chocolates in this town, when there are so many established chocolatiers in town. But my wife and I gave the cupcakes a try on Saturday.

I was pro-Daisy Cafe cupcakes when they first opened. I've since heard of some personal shenanigans in the kitchen operation (business-, not product-related), and the cupcakes have gone downhill hard.

Cupcake Sojourn, I believe, is responsible for the cupcakes at Sweet Impressions. They are far and away better than Daisy Cafe's. About the same size, if not a little bigger. More flavorful. And 75 cents cheaper per cupcake.

Try 'em. If you're insufferably uptight about places called "cupcakeries," but still want a cupcake, you can have it, eat it, AND enjoy it, too.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:24 pm

Gah, I can't see how a person could think the cupcakes there are better than Daisy. I'm not a big Daisy fangirl, but Sweet Impressions cupcakes were awful, IMHO. I was excited by the price, and the selection was ok. The cake itself is fine, but the frosting tastes like a huge lump of shortening. I couldn't finish the lemon cupcake. And I? Love cupcakes. But, to each their own.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:30 pm

i liked the sweet impressions cupcake i had just fine... what i really wish was that cupcakes a go go had a storefront.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:01 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Try 'em. If you're insufferably uptight about places called "cupcakeries," but still want a cupcake, you can have it, eat it, AND enjoy it, too.

I guess I'd rather be insufferably uptight than just insufferable.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby nichole » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:41 pm

depinmad wrote:what i really wish was that cupcakes a go go had a storefront.

There are a few places to get them (http://www.cupcakes-a-gogo.com/wheretofindus.html). I haven't personally seen them anywhere but Java Den at 1022 one lunchtime, where they had 6 cakes in 3 flavors.
nichole

Postby kimm » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:37 pm

I tried a cupcakes-a-go-go white russian cupcake at Metcalfe's last week. Decent. I could taste the moist puddingy cake flavor. It was on special (just the white russian). Pretty sure I wouldn't pay the $3.00 if it weren't on sale, though.
kimm
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues