MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, February 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Snow Freezing Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Yeah someone was fooling around on that thing for a bit while I was there on Friday. It sounded more "Pian-y" than "Pian-o"
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:50 pm

depinmad wrote:3. Shorten the hours, don't stay open past 7 or 8 if keeping food available after that is gonna be an issue.

All your other suggestions seem good, but this one isn't. That'd be closing way too early. Most people work until roughly 5pm. Even an 8pm close wouldn't allow much time to do whatever's necessary after work and get to PPP's and enjoy a meal.

I can understand a BBQ joint running out of stuff as the day goes on. It's not like making good BBQ is a quick process. Plus, they're new to town and still learning what quantities they'll need to have each day. The restaurants I've worked at had Excel-type spreadsheets going back years that gave us a really good estimates as to what to expect each day (not counting special events). Give PPP some time to figure that out, but until then it's probably wiser to have some end-of-the-night food waste than to send new customers away without the stuff they came in for.

I'm goin' there tomorrow night with a couple other forons. Please have brisket.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Or is running out part of the appeal? See: "Iphone", "IPad", etc...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Or is running out part of the appeal? See: "Iphone", "IPad", etc...

Way to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of inventory and manufacturing. The only people who benefit from supply shortages are bootleggers. Now if I ordered up 8 racks of ribs and sold them outside Pete's once he ran out at double the price... Ah Sweet Sweet Capitalism.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Way to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of inventory and manufacturing.

Perhaps...but you may want to look up marketing and psychology...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:39 pm

fisticuffs wrote:The only people who benefit from supply shortages are bootleggers.

This is simply not true. See "Cabbage Patch Dolls".
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Perhaps...but you may want to look up marketing and psychology...

Fair enough but Apple isn't a very good example of this.

Anyways. Back to the Barbecue....
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Crockett wrote:Or is running out part of the appeal? See: "Iphone", "IPad", etc...

No because I was on the receiving end of that and I left. I'm also reluctant to go back for a while until I know I won't get shafted.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:36 pm

From what I understood in conversations with folks there, they put meat in the smoker starting at roughly 10pm. So I don't think they'd be much better off closing at 8pm if they all have to be there anyway to load up the smoker and prep for the next day.

As a new business, they probably are just getting a handle on how much inventory to have on hand each day. If it continues to be a problem for months, then I guess I'd be worried.

We had the same idea of using pulled pork in our eggs the next morning. Forgot to execute the idea, though. Instead I had to "settle" for eating the leftovers that evening.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:06 am

I ate there last night. Had the Tres Banditos platter, with beans and mashers. Wow, it was a massive amount of meat. We ended up taking half of it home with us.

The ribs were the best I've had anywhere. Very tender and the rub was perfect. The pulled pork was excellent, and the brisket was very good. The beans were spectacular. My only suggestion would be that they provide their own sauce instead of Sweet Baby Ray's. For me part of the fun of eating bbq is trying out the homemade sauce. Although the owner did bring us out his homemade mustard sauce which was superb. Overall, everything we ate there ranged from very good, to excellent.

I agree that the space is oddly large, and the strip mall locale is not ideal. There were only two other tables of patrons there at the time which didn't help. But we had no problem getting our beer and food right away. Nice people running it and I really hope this place catches on. It blows the shit out of all the other bbq joints in town.

BTW - running out of meat at some point in the evening is how it goes at the best bbq places I've been to in the South. This isn't refrigerated meat they're serving.
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:37 am

Anyone remember Big Mama's and Uncle Fat's? They were a family run place that served the best bbq in town until they closed. How does PPP's compare?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:49 am

I liked big mama and uncle fats, but PPP blows it away. that reminds me though, the space that was last three amigos is still vacant and might have made an even better location for PPPs.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:18 pm

Anyone else notice that good 'ol Pete stopped showing up after it became apparent that being folksy doesn't excuse poor management?
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Anyone else notice that good 'ol Pete stopped showing up after it became apparent that being folksy doesn't excuse poor management?

Are you talking about here on the forum or at the restaurant? I'd have to say yes on both accounts. We only had interaction with him at checkout and it certainly didn't seem like everyone working was having a good time that night.

As much discussion as we've had on the service and my own experience a very big part of me wants to drive up there right now and order a full rack and see what kind of damage I could do to it. It's been haunting my dreams.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:06 pm

was just there with a friend. pete was there. service was ok. they are now taking all orders at the counter. we had the homemade mustard sauce which was really good. pete's been posting on his facebook page too. i would guess he hasn't been here because he's busy and/or doesn't want to make promises he can't keep just yet...
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues