MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
sweet corn sign
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Full of Bull Roast Beef restaurant

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Full of Bull Roast Beef restaurant

Postby Ashley » Fri May 28, 2010 1:10 pm

I went to this place on Thursday when they had their free menu sampling. They're in the old Pizza Extreme location on E. Wash. They gave out free soda and smaller versions of their classic roast beef sandwich. It was pretty good--normally I would not order a beef sandwich but I could see getting this again. They also have salads, other sandwiches, fries, and baked potatoes.

If I were them, I'd prominently advertise the fact that they serve frozen custard; chocolate, vanilla, and flavor of day.

http://www.fullofbullroastbeef.com/index.php

I think they're opening in a week? Maybe worth checking out if you are in area.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Re: Full of Bull Roast Beef restaurant

Postby Right Bower » Fri May 28, 2010 1:19 pm

I like the cannibalistic logo - muscle-bound steer with arms crossed over his apron, proud of the work he's done.

Reminds me a little of the pig eating ribs that Smoky Jon's uses.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Ashley » Fri May 28, 2010 3:11 pm

I felt like an idiot about how long it took me to realize that "Full of Bull" is in the Red Bull logo.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Fri May 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Right Bower wrote:I like the cannibalistic logo - muscle-bound steer with arms crossed over his apron, proud of the work he's done.

Reminds me a little of the pig eating ribs that Smoky Jon's uses.

See also http://suicidefood.blogspot.com/
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:04 pm

We also stopped in for the sampling. Not quite what I was expecting, and I wouldn't say it was *amazing*, but it was pretty good. Their menu indicates "shaved thin", but it seemed to be pulled or chopped rather than shaved. Not that I'm complaining.

Hopefully they open soon so I can check them out again. It seems promising.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:00 pm

They opened within the past day or two. A bunch of us went there for lunch today. No issues with the food (the beef was more obviously sliced/shaved this time, albeit not as rare as at the tasting), but they need to get up to speed on how to run a restaurant. They were out of fries (while we were there a few different people walked in with boxes of fries), and they clearly don't yet have a smooth ordering system down. I was done eating by the time another guy in our party (who ordered before me) got his food. The one owner (?) guy is nice enough but seemed kind of clueless. He was just kind of standing around as things were backing up, and didn't bother to ask our friend if he could get him a refill when he came over to say things were taking longer.

A few of us had the "FOB", one guy had the "Big Dip", one the "Pilgrim", and one a salad. I don't think anybody was wowed, but everyone felt the food was fairly solid.

Anyway...I plan on going back, but maybe in a few weeks or something. I'm hoping they get clued in on how to effectively run a restaurant.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby foodfan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:08 pm

I went there last week and I had the super. It was great!! The free sample of custard was very good too. Better then Culver's! I am for sure going back!
foodfan

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:44 pm

How can a brand new place call itself "Famous"?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:12 pm

lukpac wrote:Anyway...I plan on going back, but maybe in a few weeks or something. I'm hoping they get clued in on how to effectively run a restaurant.

It sounds like this hasn't happened yet. I didn't go, but a few coworkers went for lunch today. The food was apparently fine/good, but I'm told they had to wait for around an hour. One guy said his number was something like 56, and they were just calling 28.

Memo to the FOB guys, if you want to stay in business:

- If you're expecting a crowd (lunch time!) or there *is* a crowd, just keep making fries, rather than waiting until an order is placed. They will get eaten. This would also apply to anything else that will likely get a lot of orders.

- Your signature sandwich is some roast beef, some sauce and a slice of cheese, all on a bun. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to prepare one of these. Again, if it's lunch time, have a big pile of roast beef sliced and ready to go, along with a bunch of buns and slices of cheese. And keep the beef warm. Despite all of the waiting when I went (or maybe because of it), my sandwich was barely lukewarm.

- Manager/owner guy, if it gets busy, do something besides stand around. Fill drinks. Help prep in the kitchen. Whatever. Don't just stand around looking kind of confused. Have a sense of urgency.

- Manager/owner guy, again, if it's busy and lots of people are waiting, do something to show that you care that they have to wait. Refill their drinks. Punch their cards a second time. Give them a free mini custard. *Something*.

- Make sure everybody working knows all of the menu items, and if there's a special. Telling people on Twitter's there are free custard samples is great, but you should probably communicate that fact when people actually show up in your restaurant.

I'd like to see these guys survive, but I don't expect that will happen unless they can get their heads out of their behinds.

Also, Madison.com has a writeup:

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/d ... 03286.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ashley » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:56 pm

All the reviews on Yelp reflect the same thing...the restaurant staff doesn't know what the heck they are doing and is slow with the food. I could kind of tell during the sample day that he didn't really know what to do. We'll see if they shape up.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby foodfan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:35 pm

wow Just tried the beef today...hands down it was the best i've ever had. seriously. they're famous in my book!
foodfan

Postby CoffeeJones » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:05 pm

foodfan wrote:wow Just tried the beef today...hands down it was the best i've ever had. seriously. they're famous in my book!

So, how's the pay there?
CoffeeJones

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Although I have mixed feelings, I really should check this place out. I almost plotzed when I first heard about it, as a place by the same name(minus the "Famous") was my very first "job" as a twelve-year old. It was run by a Greek family, and the owner was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet, along with making wicked good RB sandwiches. Alas, it no longer exists, replaced by a friggin' McD's.

Foodfan, has your boss ever taken a ride on Rte. 1 in Saugus, Mass.?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:01 pm

CoffeeJones wrote:
foodfan wrote:wow Just tried the beef today...hands down it was the best i've ever had. seriously. they're famous in my book!

So, how's the pay there?

Totally:

foodfan

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jstanley » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Hey guys! Just moved to Madison, so far I'm lovin' the city! Wanted to know some good places for food around here? I visited Full of Bull yesterday for dinner, I though it was fantastic!! I've had a roast beef from Arby's before (don't even want to talk about it), this was in a WHOLE different league. I got the FOB with sauce and cheese, the sandwich was DELISH! Thought the service was great too, and fast, real friendly manager who was at the desk. Any other places y'all would suggest?
jstanley

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues