MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Full of Bull Roast Beef restaurant

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Full of Bull Roast Beef restaurant

Postby Average Joe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:10 am

You know what makes me want to avoid a place? Poorly disguised "stealth" advertising. If you want an example of a way to promote a business on a forum that people respect see the Porky Pine Pete thread.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:10 am

Average Joe wrote:You know what makes me want to avoid a place? Poorly disguised "stealth" advertising. If you want an example of a way to promote a business on a forum that people respect see the Porky Pine Pete thread.

What's ironic is that in terms of social media, they haven't posted anything on Twitter or Facebook in nearly a month. Presumably their followers/fans are people that *want* to be informed of news and specials, yet...zzzzz.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:30 am

jstanley wrote:Any other places y'all would suggest?

Like some place that doesn't employ you?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jstanley » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:31 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
jstanley wrote:Any other places y'all would suggest?

Like some place that doesn't employ you?

My mistake using "y'all" on here. Henry, since I am new to the forum, let me ask you, what type of dialect would you find acceptable? Due to the fact that you have over ten thousand posts, and obviously not much of a life outside of the room you keep your computer, what would sort of lingo would a social reject like yourself appreciate?
jstanley

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:33 am

jstanley wrote:My mistake using "y'all" on here.

In case you really haven't figured it out, that wasn't your mistake.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:54 am

Pete of Porky Pine Pete's was upfront about being the owner. What about you, jstanley?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:28 pm

Pretty scathing review from Isthmus:

I wanted to like Full of Bull, even if its proclamation of "famous roast beef" is far from tested or proven. Roast beef, burgers, salads and the quaintly British "jacket potatoes" sound like a perfect menu for late-night dining and a change of pace from fast food.

Unfortunately, the roast beef on the original FOB sandwich is mushy and off-putting. The Italian roast pork on the Farley — a good-on-paper sandwich with broccoli rabe, provolone and pork jus — is bland and overcooked. And my mushroom and Swiss stuffed burger appeared to be two manufactured patties pressed together with flavorless mushrooms and cheese in the middle.

I would have tried the Big Dip, a classic sandwich familiar to all Chicagoans, but the others were so sogged out with grease and cooking liquids, it would have been redundant. Adding further disappointment was the house-made frozen custard. I tried mint chocolate chip and found it to be more akin to a mixture of soft-serve and ice milk. There was no creaminess; it was thin and icy. That Full of Bull closed two hours early on one particular Sunday evening — unannounced and unsigned — didn't serve to lessen my dissatisfaction.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=30086

As a side note, does anyone know why I often can't find articles from the paper by clicking on "The Paper", but they show up when searching?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BigShotRob » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:59 pm

Strolled into this new joint the other day and got the FOB. It's definately hard to make an enjoyable roast beef sandwich but the FOB is proof that miracle's do happen. The Jacket Potato was a delicious masterpiece as well.
BigShotRob

Postby lukpac » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:02 pm

BigShotRob wrote:Strolled into this new joint the other day and got the FOB. It's definately hard to make an enjoyable roast beef sandwich but the FOB is proof that miracle's do happen. The Jacket Potato was a delicious masterpiece as well.

Why is it "definately" hard to make an enjoyable roast beef sandwich?

And what prompted you to join this forum purely to post this? Did it have something to do with "miracle's"?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:02 pm

How do you like working there, Rob?
(Sorry, Henry AND OTHERS, if I stole your thunder)
Last edited by jman111 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:30 pm

BigShotRob wrote:Strolled into this new joint the other day and got the FOB. It's definately hard to make an enjoyable roast beef sandwich but the FOB is proof that miracle's do happen. The Jacket Potato was a delicious masterpiece as well.

Seriously. This is the second post by some d-bag who either works there or runs the place. This one wasn't even sly. Sheesh. You guys aren't making any friends.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Seriously. This is the second post by some d-bag who either works there or runs the place. This one wasn't even sly. Sheesh. You guys aren't making any friends.

Actually, it's the *third* person, fifth post:

foodfan wrote:I went there last week and I had the super. It was great!! The free sample of custard was very good too. Better then Culver's! I am for sure going back!

foodfan wrote:wow Just tried the beef today...hands down it was the best i've ever had. seriously. they're famous in my book!

jstanley wrote:Hey guys! Just moved to Madison, so far I'm lovin' the city! Wanted to know some good places for food around here? I visited Full of Bull yesterday for dinner, I though it was fantastic!! I've had a roast beef from Arby's before (don't even want to talk about it), this was in a WHOLE different league. I got the FOB with sauce and cheese, the sandwich was DELISH! Thought the service was great too, and fast, real friendly manager who was at the desk. Any other places y'all would suggest?

jstanley wrote:My mistake using "y'all" on here. Henry, since I am new to the forum, let me ask you, what type of dialect would you find acceptable? Due to the fact that you have over ten thousand posts, and obviously not much of a life outside of the room you keep your computer, what would sort of lingo would a social reject like yourself appreciate?

I don't think calling people "social rejects" buys them any friends either.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Looks like the only people who like the food at FOB are the owner's sockpuppets.

I always though a sockpuppet doesn't have an alimentary canal. Could be wrong about that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Looks like the only people who like the food at FOB are the owner's sockpuppets.

I actually didn't think it was too bad the two times I was there. I've just kind of stayed away because of the horrific service.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:40 pm

lukpac wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Looks like the only people who like the food at FOB are the owner's sockpuppets.

I actually didn't think it was too bad the two times I was there. I've just kind of stayed away because of the horrific service.

The highlight of my visit was when I walked in, went up to the counter, made eye contact with the young woman standing behind it...and she turned her back and went to check on an order, without a single word of greeting or apology. The food was all right, but I could get almost the same thing at Arby's for half the price, with better service to boot.

They'll be lucky to close before someone trips over that step at the end of the ramp in the giant empty side room.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues