MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Boston's and Tilted Kilt both closed!?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Boston's and Tilted Kilt both closed!?

Postby mattymo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:24 am

So, my wife's birthday is on Saturday and she's on a bunch of email lists to get free birthday stuff... Boston's and Tilted Kilt both give you a free dessert... So, Monday, we go to Boston's to split an entree and get a free brownie sundae dessert (best thing they had!)... and we came upon and empty parking lot and for sale signs.... bummer!

And last night, same thing for Tilted Kilt... but the sign on the door said "Closed due to relocation" phone number disconnected (I call B.S.)

I heard Boston's closed on like June 9... besides bad business, or whatever, does anyone know the deal with these two places?
mattymo

Re: Boston's and Tilted Kilt both closed!?

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:29 am

Serially bad corporate management? Overestimating the longevity of kitsch? Shitty food? Take your pick.

And in particular, I wouldn't count on the Tilted Kilt to so much as start on fire if you put a match to it. That location--and the franchise's presence in Madison--has been a mess from Day 1.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mattymo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:35 am

For a chain of whatever Tilted Kilt was... the food was always great... and that "tilted Guilt" dessert they had was so wrong, but so good (cookie dough baked in a bowl with ice cream and fudge)...

and yeah, after failing once, then reopening... and that location just doesn't work... oh well... it was just a let down to plan on going somewhere and having it be closed, especially when it's a chain and you're on a mailing list... the web site has no indication... nothing.

oh well! we just went to Flattop and used the free b-day stir-fry coupon instead. (and better for us too!)
mattymo

Postby anyportinastorm » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:02 am

I know some bartenders who had experience working at the Tilted Kilt and the consensus was ridiculously poor management--apparently buying their booze and some food items from Woodmans because they couldn't get credit from their vendors and were on a cash only basis with them. As far as Boston's that place lasted longer than I would have imagined. I interviewed for a job as a bartender there when they first opened and was offered the job. It looked like a nice huge sports bar potential--then I saw EVERYTHING behind the bar came out of the "soda-gun" system...tap beer, soda booze..all out of automatic portion control gun--which I figured would never fly in Wisconsin. Who really wants to see a Jack and coke come out of a soda gun?! Half the fun was watching the bartender work and who REALLY knows what bottle they are pouring! Big space, great TV's for sporting events and a franchise that didn't understand the location it was locating to. And the food was bland...at best. There are a lot of places that are struggling in the Greenway Station...feel bad for the all the employees.
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Nothing says I Love You like free dessert.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:29 pm

mattymo wrote:I heard Boston's closed on like June 9... besides bad business, or whatever, does anyone know the deal with these two places?

I heard both places went under because they gave away too many free desserts.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:59 pm

anyportinastorm wrote:It looked like a nice huge sports bar potential--then I saw EVERYTHING behind the bar came out of the "soda-gun" system...tap beer, soda booze..all out of automatic portion control gun--which I figured would never fly in Wisconsin. Who really wants to see a Jack and coke come out of a soda gun?! Half the fun was watching the bartender work and who REALLY knows what bottle they are pouring!

Absofrigginlutely.
Something I heard on American Pickers was that in the early days of automobiles there was a lot suspicion among the public that gas stations weren't supplying truly measured gallons of gasoline - akin to the butcher with his finger on the scale. The invention of the transparent glass gas pump, which showed the amount of gas about to be pumped, gave people confidence that they were getting what they paid for.
I don't know anyone that appreciates getting their booze poured from the gun.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:39 pm

I wish Hooters would re-open. They had decent food and better costumes than Tilted Kilt. Boston's I won't miss.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby brentron909 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:50 pm

The good news is we can all still count on Old Chicago.
brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby Jademan7 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:14 pm

I miss both of these places, I loved Boston's food. You could always count on a good meal there. Better tasting pizza crust than anywhere else in town. At the kilt, never ate there but the staff actually had great personalities. You'll never get that at hooter's.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Jademan7 wrote: Better tasting pizza crust [at Boston's] than anywhere else in town.

I hope to God this was intended as irony. Boston's uses the Olive Garden approach to pizza: refrigerated, pre-portioned ingredients assembled off cards with photos. The only difference is that Boston's doesn't use a microwave.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:05 am

"Breastaurants" are kicking butt. I guess Madmind and the local Tilted Kilt franchisee were just ahead of their time...

Hooters-style restaurants experiencing a mini-boom

Twin Peaks is part of a booming niche in the beleaguered restaurant industry known as "breastaurants," or sports bars that feature scantily clad waitresses. These small chains operate in the tradition of Hooters, which pioneered the concept in the 1980s but has struggled in recent years to stay fresh.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hooters-s ... 15225.html
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues