MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

biggest rip off in madison?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

biggest rip off in madison?

Postby depinmad » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:17 pm

let's not even mention how sucko the custard actually is, taste wise, let's just talk about the fact that you can't get ANYTHING custard related for less than $3.59 at Michaels Custard. really?? where do they get the balls to charge these prices? is there a bigger "food" rip off in madison? if so i'd like to hear about it.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: biggest rip off in madison?

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:55 pm

I haven't been there in a few years. Not a big fan of the frozen surgary shit. So you can't even get a cone for less than that? That's ridiculous.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gemini child » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:56 pm

depinmad wrote:let's not even mention how sucko the custard actually is, taste wise, let's just talk about the fact that you can't get ANYTHING custard related for less than $3.59 at Michaels Custard. really?? where do they get the balls to charge these prices? is there a bigger "food" rip off in madison? if so i'd like to hear about it.

Agreed. Huge rip off. Their prices have gone up in the last two years or so. We only go to get the K9 custard for our dogs. A tip though: Getting a pint for sharing is your best bet - 4.99 plus tax.
gemini child

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:02 pm

People - don't buy it then. If the price is too high, people won't buy it and they'll lower the price. It sounds simple, and it actually works. If lots of people pay the ripoff price, then they make a ton of money and maintain or even raise the price.

I'm as far from a Republican as you can find on this board, and I can't believe I have to explain a basic free market principle like this. Price too high, don't buy it. Basic enough?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:15 pm

gargantua wrote:I have to explain a basic free market principle like this. Price too high, don't buy it. Basic enough?
Well, certainly simplistic enough, anyway. As Ronnie said, "It's mourning in America!"
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:24 pm

I stopped in last year for a chili dog and a chocolate shake. Liked 'em both. Didn't seem like the price was way out of line for that, but I didn't get any froyo.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:06 am

Michael's always has been a jack, the problem is that its a fun walk and a nice thing to do in the summer. It bums me out because I limit how much I go there because of the prices, simply on principle.

There is a big jack on the sundaes, if one were smart they could add there own fruit and what not at home. I grew a rasberry bush specifically for this purpose (I keep sticking bananas in the ground too, but nothing yet).
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:42 am

Point of note: the $3.59 is for the "baby sundae." Less than one scoop, one topping, in a dish, for the price of a double on a waffle at Culver's.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BrianV66 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:49 am

Taste is quite subjective, I know, but in my opinion the product from Michael's is probably twice as good as that from the Culver's.

Still way too expensive, but worth it on a very occasional basis.

Ice cream from Chocolate Shoppe or Babcock is better than both (again, my opinion...)
BrianV66

Postby towanda » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:07 pm

I haven't been to Michael's in a couple of years because of the prices. I go to Culver's or Chocolate Shoppe.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby zelda » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:06 am

You want expensive? Continue down Monona for about a block and have the gelato at Java Cat. The difference is that Java Cat's gelato is really, really, seriously good.
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby boobus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 pm

I like to order a root beer float in the drive thru on the West side... then drive off when I hear the price.

Almost $4 for a small? It's soda and vanilla... get over yourself, Michael.
boobus

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:49 am

Haven't had their custard in awhile. Last time I went there was for lunch. Am I romanticizing the past or didn't they used to make a decent burger? 'Cause seriously, I might has well have been eating a drywall sandwich. Utterly flavorless.

Ripoff? Hell, they should have paid me.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby coldspotter » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:13 am

boobus wrote:I like to order a root beer float in the drive thru on the West side... then drive off when I hear the price.

Almost $4 for a small? It's soda and vanilla... get over yourself, Michael.

FWIW, the real Michael died almost 15-20 (?) years ago. I think his life and business partner, John, later sold the tiny chain. Michael's was always a bit expensive to begin with. I worked at the one on Monona Drive when it first opened and Michael was still alive. I haven't been there for about 5 years now, but the salted pecans on the turtle sundae were the best. Everywhere else I have been to has unsalted pecans which just aren't as good IMHO.
coldspotter

Postby greeneyedlady » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:06 am

I'm with you on the salted pecans, but WTF is up with having no whipped cream in the building? Coldspotter, having worked there, do you know the reason for this? I can't possibly think of a good one. :wink:
greeneyedlady

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues