MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Dells Restuarant Recommendations

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Dells Restuarant Recommendations

Postby jdarling » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:30 am

I'm looking for restaurant recommendations in the Dells, particularly for dinner, but also any good cafes. My family will be visiting at the end of the month. We'll be staying at Great Wolf for 3 nights. I'd like to avoid chain-type restaurants.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jennifer
jdarling

Re: Dells Restuarant Recommendations

Postby okiebp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 am

had a great dinner at the Del Bar.
pretty tasty.
okiebp

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 am

I second the Del Bar recommendation. Pricey, but very much worth it. Have driven from Madison to the Dells solely to eat there on several occasions.

Also, the last time my whole family went to the Dells (kids from 3-10, a few vegetarians, picky eaters, etc.) we had a great casual dinner at Moosejaw Pizza.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:44 am

I wouldn't be taking any kids to the Del Bar, that shit is way too expensive and the wrong atomosphere for a young family.

There is a sign on the way up 94 of a guy with his head sticking out of a baked chicken with the quote "Whoaaaaaa" - that's where you want to take a family. I think its called Buffalo Phil's, as far as I know its not a chain. I thought the food there was real good and priced reasonably.

If you get a chance, take everyone to Paul Bunyan's for breakfast. I loved going there when I was a kid and far as I can tell they haven't changed much.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 am

The Cheese Factory Restaurant offers a great breakfast (and great all-around for vegetarians), if you can deal with the creepy Euro-Christian aura in there.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:37 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:There is a sign on the way up 94 of a guy with his head sticking out of a baked chicken with the quote "Whoaaaaaa" - that's where you want to take a family. I think its called Buffalo Phil's, as far as I know its not a chain. I thought the food there was real good and priced reasonably.

I stopped at Buffalo Phil's once on a work trip, mainly because I'd seen the billboard so many times and it piqued an interest. The food was decent but overpriced, and the service left a lot to be desired (I may have come up on a shift change or something, since my section was all but abandoned for the better part of a half hour). I'd ordered the pulled chicken sandwich with waffle fries which cost something like $10. The house BBQ sauces weren't too special either. It's a huge place, and I'd assume probably good for kids and all, but I don't see myself going back.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:00 pm

I haven't been to Ishnala for about 10 years, but it had great northwoods ambience and decent food. Probably not the best place for kids though.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:18 pm

wack wack wrote:The Cheese Factory Restaurant offers a great breakfast (and great all-around for vegetarians), if you can deal with the creepy Euro-Christian aura in there.

I have wanted to try that place for awhile but cannot convince the wife due to reasons listed. Maybe someday...

Sarento's Italian Restaurant has an awesome signature salad and outdoor dining area. Otherwise fairly typical Italian fare.

Monk's on the strip has great burgers.

Agree with comments on the Del Bar. Very good, but very spendy.

Fields is decent. We usually end up going there. Supper Clubby type place, but no salad bar. Pretty good fish fry, prime rib on saturdays. Far cheaper than Del Bar and probably OK for kids.

Paul Bunyan buffet is probably great for kids, but more of a stuff your gullett buffet, assembly line type place. A group of us went there after camping / canoeing the WI River for a long weekend and it was pretty great under those conditions. Cannot imagine liking it otherwise, but I turn my nose at most buffets especially

The Moosejaw Brewery is good too.

Thanks for the review on Buffalo Phil's, wallrock. Pretty much what I would have expected from looking at the billboard.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby alexinmadison » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Yeah...my veg friends and I eat at The Cheese Factory every time we go to the Dells because, regardless of the Euro-Christian atmosphere, it serves kick-ass vegetarian food. Very kid-friendly too. We've taken to calling it "The Vegetarian Cult Restaurant." The folks who work there are super-nice and have not tried to recruit us, even after multiple visits. ;) We kinda love it.

Seems like the Dells, by virtue of it's very existence, would have tons of inexpensive, family restaurants.
alexinmadison

Postby jhain » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Cheese Factory is very good. The Vegan Chimi is one of my faves. Usually, the specials are worthwhile.

I've gone there a couple times a year for at least a decade and never had any religious recruitment or even a mention. Perhaps I just look "atheist."

eriedasch - No doubt that their is sometimes a strange vibe from the clear-eyed servers but really nothing for the wife to fear. Except a chimi addiction. It is certainly worth at least one visit.

---

I'm curious to hear if anyone has found good (or even acceptable) coffee in the Dells.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I haven't been to Ishnala for about 10 years, but it had great northwoods ambience and decent food. Probably not the best place for kids though.

I was there a couple years ago and it was excellent. Depending on the age and maturity of the kids, no problem.

Same with the place across the road from the Del Bar...white building with old school neon sign...the Embers?

Neither are looking for the demographic or have the price point of a Moose Jaw type place though.

Breakfast: In Lake Delton, on the SE corner across from the fire station, is the old diner Denny's with all the old local R'n'R memorabilia on the walls. Don't confuse it with the glitzy neon chain Denny's near the Kalahari. Cheap, fast, and kinda greasy, which is what you want in a diner. Kids wouldn't phase them in the least.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:03 pm

Walter wrote:Same with the place across the road from the Del Bar...white building with old school neon sign...the Embers?

Wally's House of Embers is good. Not quite in the same league as Del Bar (where I got the best steak I've ever had), but still damn good, and quite a bit less expensive.

Nice, sorta-kitschy old-school decor, too, with a nice bar and little dining rooms named after Omar Sharif, Bogart and Valentino.

(And for those of you who remember the Perkins-esqe chain restaurant Embers on East Wash, fear not; this place is unaffiliated.)
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jdarling » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:39 pm

Wow! Thanks, everyone, for all the great info. I'd love to try Del Bar, but we'll have a 4-year-old, 8-year-old (both mine), and 10-year-old (who, on principle, would order the most expensive thing on the menu). The Cheese Factory sounds great, too. Thanks to the last poster for clarifying that the Embers is not related to the old East Wash Embers.

Thanks again.

Jennifer
jdarling

Postby coldspotter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:24 pm

I would avoid the House of Embers in the Dells. The lights are pretty at night, but we were raked over the coals for a so-so meal. Beware of the specials there! Monk's is casual, but they have great food for what it is. The chicken sandwich is wonderful! Del Bar has great food, but it is pricey. Glad to know about Denny's and Paul Bunyan's!
coldspotter

Postby babelfish » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:51 pm

I might be too late here, but last year we decided to try someplace other than Del Bar for dinner, and we went to R Place

http://www.rplacerestaurant.com/

It came highly recommended and surpasssed our expectations (possibly the best minestrone soup anywhere)...is also more kid friendly than Del Bar. I also second Moosejaw (lunch) and Denny's Diner (breakfast) as good child-friendly options.
babelfish

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues