MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

BD's Mongolian on East side - Boarded

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

BD's Mongolian on East side - Boarded

Postby QuantumWeaver » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:58 pm

According to a friend they went to have lunch at BD's today and it was boarded up. Anyone have the skinny?

Never eaten/been there personally, but sounds like it was always pretty busy.
QuantumWeaver

Re: BD's Mongolian on East side - Boarded

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Yeah, they closed a few weeks ago. Their Facebook site had one teary-eyed (former) employee telling folks that they had an all-staff meeting on Monday morning (7/12) and that was it. 7/11 was their unlucky last day.

Hu Hot of Madison wisely posted to Twitter on Wednesday (7/14):

BD's Mongolian Grill of Madison goes OUT OF BUSINESS! We will accept all BD's Gift Cards - see manager for details.

It's hard out there for a Mongol.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:19 am

It's unfortunate that the east side so often lands the lesser chain of the bunch.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:23 am

MadMind75 wrote:It's unfortunate that the east side so often lands the lesser chain of the bunch.

that's ridic! you guys have texas roadhouse AND cracker barrel. i'd trade you ten huhots and a a biaggi's for those two.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rachelz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:07 am

Well, that sucks. BD Mongolian was awesome. If we didn't have two little kids we would have gone a lot more often - they had $2 taps of Fat Tire all day. I've never seen a deal like it, and we took advantage of it when we were there.

And the restaurant had the nicest staff I have ever experienced. So nice that I actually filled out the survey stating that fact, which is something I never bother doing. Whoever hired the staff for Mongolian should go into business hiring servers for other restaurants.

I always wished, though, that it was the same restaurant with the beer specials and the staff but served ready-made food. We only did the "make your own stir-fry" once (the other times we ordered appetizers). But I guess you don't really get to make your own stir-fry, you get to assemble it, because I didn't get to control the fact that my shrimp went on the grill at the same time as my broccoli - which produced little pieces of rubber. I don't know if you were allowed to "direct" the griller to throw things on at different times, but I also didn't really feel like doing that even if it was an option.
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:16 am

Rachelz wrote:Well, that sucks. BD Mongolian was awesome. If we didn't have two little kids we would have gone a lot more often - they had $2 taps of Fat Tire all day. I've never seen a deal like it, and we took advantage of it when we were there.

And the restaurant had the nicest staff I have ever experienced. So nice that I actually filled out the survey stating that fact, which is something I never bother doing. Whoever hired the staff for Mongolian should go into business hiring servers for other restaurants.

I always wished, though, that it was the same restaurant with the beer specials and the staff but served ready-made food. We only did the "make your own stir-fry" once (the other times we ordered appetizers). But I guess you don't really get to make your own stir-fry, you get to assemble it, because I didn't get to control the fact that my shrimp went on the grill at the same time as my broccoli - which produced little pieces of rubber. I don't know if you were allowed to "direct" the griller to throw things on at different times, but I also didn't really feel like doing that even if it was an option.

so you loved everything about BD mongolian grill except for BD mongolian grill. got it.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:45 am

Did BD's reopen in this location as a combo with Q-doba?
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby QuantumWeaver » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:03 am

No, it was there in combo with it, but shut down.

I believe that location used to be Carlos O'Kellys.
QuantumWeaver

Postby O.J. » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:55 am

QuantumWeaver wrote:I believe that location used to be Carlos O'Kellys.

I'm still pissed I never made it there for a big bowl of Chef Seamus Gonzalez' world famous MexiColcannon.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues