MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, February 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 12.0° F  Snow Blowing Snow and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Butchery

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Butchery

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:44 am

city2countrygal wants butcher shop recommendations, preferably on the southeast end of Madison or parts beyond in that general direction.

So far, we have Stoddard's in Cottage Grove and the Jenifer Street Market.

Who's got a favorite meat market? What do they do well?

I was very impressed by the Hoesly's meats I had on The Barge earlier this year.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Butchery

Postby evansvillehousewife » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:05 am

I have been finding the best of the best on farms that process their own meats.
Sashay Acres, ala Darlene Schnebb of Evansville, has the dang tastiest beef. Turns out I actually *like* ground beef when it tastes like, well beef. Round steaks so tender you don;t pound or tenderize, you just throw on the grill. Their goat steaks, brats, and hot sticks are wonderful.
Sugar River Farm in Monticello sells pastured pork. She feeds them scraps from a cheese factory.... makes pork chops so juicy they shoot like a grapefruit when you dig in with your fork. Yum.

Plus, you get the warm fuzzies knowing the animals spent their days frolicking in the pasture and soaking up sunshine, instead of standing knee deep head to ass in a feedlot.

Granted, this is a big step for most people to take... to walk onto a farm and buy out of a freezer. When you are so used to pristine butcher shops with glass cases, it can be a bit daunting see cows walking up to you as you make your way to the farm freezer. It;s a change I was happy to make, though.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:36 am

evansvillehousewife wrote:pork chops so juicy they shoot like a grapefruit when you dig in with your fork.

This is...not appetizing.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:43 am

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years. I needed to buy pork for a recipe for a party. The staff at the Jenifer Street Market were very helpful. The didn't have the cut I was looking for, but they suggested another. It worked very well.

My SO really likes the hamburger from Black Earth meats. The meat walks in the back door so it's pretty fresh. (Sometimes, they resist: http://www.nbc15.com/news/headlines/78998047.html) Their bacon and eggs are good, too. It's nowhere near the southeast side of Madison. However, you can stop in when shopping for shoes at the Shoe Box.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:57 am

LargeMarge wrote: The staff at the Jenifer Street Market were very helpful. The didn't have the cut I was looking for, but they suggested another. It worked very well.

The staff at the Jenifer Street Market meat counter are extremely helpful. The selection may not be as wide as a stand alone butcher shop, but they have unique things like Nueske's bacon, Kobe-style beef, and sausages/brats made in house that one may not find at a typical grocery store. I appreciate the fact that they are knowledgeable with regards to actually preparing the meat they sell. Actually, some of my most reliable fish/chicken/meat techniques are owed to one of the younger guys at the counter--who's admitted to me on more than one occasion that he's almost totally a vegetarian!--he's given me tons of cooking tips.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:00 am

I'll second Hoesly's and Black Earth.

I also am a fan of Wyttenbach's in Prairie du Sac and Paoli Local Foods/Ruegseggers.
http://www.wmeats.com/
http://www.paolilocalfoods.com/
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 am

wallrock wrote: Paoli Local Foods/Ruegseggers.
http://www.paolilocalfoods.com/

That's what it's called! My bf raves about this place and tries to make a pilgrimage to Paoli at least once a month. Didn't remember the name, but he compares all grassfed beef to their gold standard.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:50 am

Excellent! A mix of farms and small-scale meat markets, exactly what I was looking for! A wealth of knowledge here, really! Thanks to TheBookPolice for starting the thread! And thanks to all for your suggestions, this is a subject that I’ve been wanting to research for a while, and now with the tainted eggs, don’t even get me started!

Thanks for the tip on Sashay Acres, evansvillehousewife! I’m in Dunkirk, so that’s close by! And I’m adventurous enough to buy off the farm. I love chatting with country folks! I also liked the pork chop description, esp. thinking about how awful a dry chop tastes!

I’m glad Hoesly’s got a thumbs-up! Thanks wallrock. It sounds like my kind of place, so I will certainly check it out!

Jennifer St. Market is not one I would have thought to stop at, but all the postings have me very intrigued! Thanks for the post and the link LargeMarge! Made me laugh this a.m.

I’m also happy to hear good things about Paoli Local Foods/Ruegsegger Farms. That place looks like you could get most of your perishables there, and only have to venture out for pantry items and such. Imagine not having to grocery shop every single week! Just one trip to woodmans a month for bulk items and I would be set!

Keep those suggestions coming! How about outside of Madison, anywhere in New Glarius? That’s always a fun day trip, bring a cooler and some ice and stock up for your freezer at home! Shout-out to my two fav brands: Nueske's and Usinger's! (love the Usinger's commercials in German!)
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:11 pm

I've always been happy with Ken's on Monona Drive (across from David's Jamaican). Not only a very decent meat counter, but they sell bottled jerk sauce from David's across the street!
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Sorry, forgot to carry this comment over from the Tornado thread:

city2countrygal wrote:How about a recommendation for a good butcher in Madison besides Ken's? I just can't deal with the construction on Monona Dr.

Personally, I was surprised at the lack of encased meats at Ken's. Is that a "whatever's here" kind of unpredictability, or do they just not really do sausage? Hot dogs were the extent of the selection.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Sorry, forgot to carry this comment over from the Tornado thread:

city2countrygal wrote:How about a recommendation for a good butcher in Madison besides Ken's? I just can't deal with the construction on Monona Dr.

Personally, I was surprised at the lack of encased meats at Ken's. Is that a "whatever's here" kind of unpredictability, or do they just not really do sausage? Hot dogs were the extent of the selection.

Yeah, I just saw that in the other thread but didn't get back here in time to delete my rec.
But as far as I know, Ken's does not do sausage. I don't think I've ever seen it on display.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:47 pm

Jenifer Market currently has gyro brats available. Cook them on a lower heat on the grill because if they split there's a lot of flammable juice in them. But very tasty.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:16 pm

Anyone tried the sausage shop by Warner Park (Hamann Chatucerie (sp?))
I'm intrigued, but they're only open on weekends, so I haven't ventured up there yet.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Charcuterie, and cue Kovalic in 3...2...
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:40 pm

barney wrote:Anyone tried the sausage shop by Warner Park (Hamann Chatucerie (sp?))
I'm intrigued, but they're only open on weekends, so I haven't ventured up there yet.

Isthmus article from a couple years ago.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues