MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Wisconsin still the big cheese

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Wisconsin still the big cheese

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:23 pm

An aged raw cow's milk farmstead cheese made in Dodgeville has captured the coveted Best of Show award at the annual American Cheese Society Conference, one of the most prestigious cheese competitions in North America.

Uplands Cheese Co.'s Extra Aged Pleasant Ridge Reserve took Best of Show for the third time, the only cheese to have done so in the competition's history. It also won top honors in 2001 and 2005.

Wisconsin cheesemakers Saturday took home 98 ribbons - 29 firsts, 36 seconds and 33 thirds - almost a third of all of the awards given and more than any other state. The five-day conference and competition in Seattle had more than 1,400 entries from 34 states, Canada and Mexico.

Several Dairy State cheesemakers collected multiple honors, including Carr Valley Cheese of LaValle, which received 18 ribbons, BelGioioso Cheese of Denmark, which took home seven, and Sartori Foods of Plymouth, with six ribbons.

jsonline

Now what did fennel say about the lack of great Wisconsin fromage?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wisconsin still the big cheese

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Now what did fennel say about the lack of great Wisconsin fromage?

I don't remember--probably something snide and marginally comprehensible.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
..Wisconsin cheesemakers Saturday took home 98 ribbons - 29 firsts, 36 seconds and 33 thirds - almost a third of all of the awards given and more than any other state. The five-day conference and competition in Seattle had more than 1,400 entries from 34 states, Canada and Mexico.

==================
Congratulations to our Wisconsin cheesemakers! I love cheese!!!
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:52 am

HOOORAY FOR WISCONSIN!

Which reminds me, the parmesean I made last fall is almost done ageing. I am a bit worried, as it looks surprisingly like a white plastic hockey puck.

I should stick to soft cheeses.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues