MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Magnus goes to the bikes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Magnus goes to the bikes

Postby LindsayNicole » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:16 pm

*sniff*

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... mode=story

I'm going to be OK, guys. It's alright.

I never could afford to eat there. But I'm going to mourn the wine list as soon as it's gone. Also the low lighting and the bartenders who know me and the sparkling malbec rose.

*sniff*
LindsayNicole

Re: Magnus goes to the bikes

Postby jhain » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Looks interesting.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 pm

That's too bad. We had dinner there our last night in town back in July; while I have to say I preferred the earlier menu, it was different and definitely worth a stop. It was the first (and may be the last) time I've ever been served duckfat as a dipping sauce, but the wild boar was excellent, and the wines and the drinks first rate. I'm glad we were able to stop in.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:59 pm

If they let their current chef go, they're crazy.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:31 am

Can someone explain "weird edginess" to me.

"This will be more a reflection of what Madison is," Berge said. "It will have that weird edginess."

Have I just lived in enough places that Madison doesn't seem to be that weird or edgy?
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:58 am

If it's the same building and the same owner, why does the wine list have to go at the same time the expensive food does? Is it some kind of prerequisite for edginess?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:23 am

The minute they went to 'Scandinavian' I knew the clock was ticking. Its too bad because, as others have said, their bar was fantastic.

Bike friendly is great...5 months a year...I wish them luck but it feels gimmicky to me.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:31 am

Crockett wrote:Bike friendly is great...5 months a year...I wish them luck but it feels gimmicky to me.

For you maybe. April to November for me, and maybe longer depending on snow and road conditions.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:49 am

Stebben84 wrote:
Crockett wrote:Bike friendly is great...5 months a year...I wish them luck but it feels gimmicky to me.

For you maybe. April to November for me, and maybe longer depending on snow and road conditions.

Congrats but there aren't enough of 'you' to support a bike-focused restaurant. Most people are fair-weather riders.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:02 am

Congrats but there aren't enough of 'you' to support a bike-focused restaurant. Most people are fair-weather riders.

Read the article nimrod. This restaurant is going to lose it's nearest parking garage and will be in the middle of a construction zone for the next few years. $35 dinners are being replaced by $10 lunch plates. And you will still be allowed to eat there without a cycle in tow. God you're dense.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:04 am

I'm sure there will be a cool interesting wine list.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:23 am

fisticuffs wrote: God you're dense.

You're an angry, angry man. You should get laid once in a while. It helps.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Really sad about this. The new menu was incredible and led to a James Beard semifinalist nomination for the chef. It is my 2nd favorite place to dine in Madison. Love almost everything I have had there. I have many great memories there and am very fond of the staff. I wish it were making more money for them.

Having been there a lot before and after, I don't think it was less crowded there after the menu redesign after a few months. In fact, after about 5-6 months it seemed to be more crowded whenever I went. Anyone who thinks that scandinavian fare is not at the forefront of fine dining hasn't been paying attention. Noma was recently declared the best restaurant in the world in uk's restaurant magazine, and that listing carries some weight.

I think it's just the nature of the business now, and the impact of future construction/projects in the area. I totally understand if they need to rethink their bottom line. I hope they will still be doing a new year event.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:05 pm

I completely agree about the Scandinavian changeover. I was kind of surprised that it took that long to have a good Scandinavian-inspired restaurant around here, particularly because of my own Scandinavian heritage (shared with the Berges themselves). I enjoyed the meals I had there (a dinner and the holiday smorgasbord brunch) quite a bit, and I was glad to see them take over a niche that didn't overlap with other restaurants like their previous one might have.

So yeah... bummer.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:49 am

Its a tough loss for the fine dining crowd, but I have to applaud an owner who has the sense to take on a changing market head-on. So many restaurants in this city have failed in the midst of construction and a slow economy. Best of luck to them.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues