MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

New Place on Atwood

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: New Place on Atwood

Postby rrnate » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:14 pm

jhain wrote:
rrnate wrote:Mental image - Fats getting ever closer to a rage-induced heart attack while reading your blog and drinking coffee at Victory.

Except they don't have wi-fi.. Which sounds great.

I like to think he printed out a few postings to read at the shop, which is why his link is from 2009 - he just got around to reading it.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby greeneyedlady » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:24 pm

I will second the opinion that Victory's espresso is phenomenal and that Patrick is a nice guy and very friendly. There are many mornings that I sneakily try to get my kid ready to go to school early so we can go east to get a latte before turning around and heading west to our daily destinations.
greeneyedlady

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:03 pm

I was in there for an egg cream the other day. Nice friendly place. Liked the egg cream.

Really too bad it's such a tiny little place, though. Hope they do well enough to find a little more room.

I usually only buy coffee as beans these days but now that everybody's raved about it I'll check it out.

Otherwise, hopefully they aren't depending on me to help 'em out much more than an egg cream and a cookie now and then.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:12 am

Stopped in yesterday. The owner wasn't there but the barista pulled a very satisfying double for me. I liked the look and vibe and will add it to my short list of places to get espresso.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:06 pm

I too am amazed at Patrick's talent for remembering names. Excellent latte and good regular coffee. Zoma has had poor coffee for years.

He did a great job on the interior and yes it's small but I'm guessing that's what he wants, a cozy place where people might actually talk to one another beyond asking "are you gonna use that outlet?"

Plus you gotta like a guy that drives a sweet GS1000.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:02 pm

narcoleptish wrote: a cozy place where people might actually talk to one another beyond asking "are you gonna use that outlet?"

Cozy is one thing, but my kitchen seats more people than that place.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:24 am

How are the lattes in your kitchen? I'll give it a shot.

I think I remember reading that his NY place was tiny too. Like I said, I think he's just going for a different atmosphere than your typical east side coffee shop. Maybe he even wants it less comfortable for the laptoppers who consume 1 cup of coffee and 4 hours of table space. That's definitely part of owning a coffee shop but I can see how an owner might get sick of it. Anyway, I think it's a nice addition to an empty stretch of Atwood.

I've also heard that the Sardine people (restaurant, not fishermen) are opening a deli in the Africana space.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:16 am

narcoleptish wrote:I've also heard that the Sardine people (restaurant, not fishermen) are opening a deli in the Africana space.

Did you hear it here?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 pm

No, overheard it at Victory actually. People talk there.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dudemeister » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:51 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I've also heard that the Sardine people (restaurant, not fishermen) are opening a deli in the Africana space.

I can already tell it's going to turn into one of those late night problem spots. People hanging around outside after a few too many Rueben's; getting into fights over who gets the last pickle...
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:01 pm

narcoleptish wrote:How are the lattes in your kitchen? I'll give it a shot.

If you drop by between 7 and 9 on a Saturday when I don't have any classes you're welcome to a cup of kona, but I consider my kitchen too small for a coffee shop.

I've stopped by Victory a few times since my last visit hoping to sit down and check it out but there was never a place to sit. I'll keep checking.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues