MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Pulled Pork?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Pulled Pork?

Postby cattyrood » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Favorite recipes anyone? Making some now, unsure as to how to proceed. Started with a tenderloin.
cattyrood

Re: Pulled Pork?

Postby kimm » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Tenderloin won't make great pulled pork. Great for other things, not so much for pulled pork. You want a long-stranded, higher fat piece of pork, like pork butt for a real "pulled pork." You'll have to have "chopped pork" with a tenderloin, I would think. Still good, though. We are lucky to have a smoker, but I've done it in the crock pot prior to that with reasonably good results. Trim the fat down a bit if you are using the slow cooker.

A good rub down with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, onion, cayenne and brown sugar is a good start. Don't add liquid to the slow cooker until closer to the end. When done, shred it up, toss it back in the cooker with a little dark beer (or some coffee) and liquid smoke to moisten. Reseason if needed.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:42 pm

The above strategy is a good one. Woodman's sells "boneless country style ribs" in a pack of about 5 or 6 pounds and it's usually under $1.50 a pound. They work good for what you want because there is some fat that cooks off the meat while it's slow roasting.

Dry rub all the pieces and don't skimp on the chili powder. I've never used liquid smoke but understand the appeal. I'd say go easy with it. When it's summer time I smoke these on a grill and then put them in a pot to cook until they fall apart. Two thumbs up on the dark beer.

Good luck. When's dinner?
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:14 pm

last weekend I was incredibly pleased with Dr Pepper-Braised Pork Shoulder.

3-5 lb pork shoulder
Coat with Penzey's Singapore seasoning blend, and salt.
Brown in olive oil.
Set aside.

add chopped carrots, celery, onion to the pan. Saute until onions start to brown. Add two liters of dr. pepper to the pan, along with 5 cups of beef broth. Salt to taste. Add in about a tsp of chopped candied ginger and 1 finely chopped apple. Simmer until reduced by half. While simmering, heat dutch oven in oven at 350 degrees.

When braising liquid is reduced..add some to dutch oven, place the pork shoulder, then pour the remaining liquid over the meat covering about 2/3rds of the meat. Put in oven at 350 for two hours, reduce to 280 for 3 more.

Remove some of the liquid...so as not to make the pork too soupy..and pull it. Made Sandwiches with crispy pancetta, hot peppers, mayo, sharp provolone and arugula. Delicious.

Best pulled pork I've ever had.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Smutterly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:09 pm

This one works well for me. The liquid in it creates a nice mole sauce for the tacos. Even with a hot salsa it ended up being fairly mild for those with mild preference. I don't trim any fat off the butt I buy from Woodman's.

Ingredients
2 cups store-bought salsa, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
kosher salt
1 2 1/2-pound boneless pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
18 corn tortillas
1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
3/4 cup sour cream
1 lime, cut into wedges
Directions
1.In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the salsa, chili powder, oregano, cocoa, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the pork and turn to coat.
2.Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
3.Twenty minutes before serving, heat oven to 350° F.
4.Stack the tortillas, wrap them in foil, and bake until warm, about 15 minutes.
5.Meanwhile, using 2 forks, shred the pork and stir into the cooking liquid. Serve with the tortillas, cilantro, sour cream, lime, and extra salsa.
Smutterly

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:10 pm

I was given a tip by a southern lady who suggested putting a pork shoulder in a crock pot with your choice of dry rub, then adding a bottle of root beer. It adds a nice sweetness to the pulled pork. Slow cook this for about 6-8 hours depending on the size. Shred it, put it back in the cooker with a small amount of bbq sauce(I like Sweet Baby Rays) then a touch of liquid smoke. Cook for an additional half hour or so. I agree with the above; don't over do the liquid smoke. It can kill it. Yea, it's faking it, but it does add that smokey flavor which makes pork oh so delicious.

This was good, but not as good as a smoker or a grill with a smoker tray cooked for many, many hours.

You can also do some country ribs with sauerkraut. The acidity helps break down the meat and adds a nice tang to it as well.

The key for any pulled pork is slow cooking at a low heat. With this and your own creativity you can't go wrong. I would also suggest keeping it simple. Pork is a very flavorful meat IMO and too much can take away from that. I loves me some pork.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lorraine » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:40 pm

I love pulled pork. All of your suggestions sound delicious.
Lorraine

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:08 am

Lorraine wrote:I love pulled pork. All of your suggestions sound delicious.

I love your quiche.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby joey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:59 pm

we've made this one a bunch of times. easy and delicious. very versatile. use in tacos, burritos, breakfast burritos etc.
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/slow-cook ... etail.aspx
joey

Postby indycoyote » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:28 am

Boston Butt of pork

crock pot (this time of yr at least)
2 boxes of beef stock (or enough to barely cover the butt)
one bottle of vinegar based BBQ sauce (or cider vinegar)
5 heaping spoons of brown sugar
garlic minced if you like that

cook on low for 8 hrs

pull it gently:)
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I was given a tip by a southern lady who suggested putting a pork shoulder in a crock pot with your choice of dry rub, then adding a bottle of root beer. It adds a nice sweetness to the pulled pork. Slow cook this for about 6-8 hours depending on the size. Shred it, put it back in the cooker with a small amount of bbq sauce(I like Sweet Baby Rays) then a touch of liquid smoke. Cook for an additional half hour or so. I agree with the above; don't over do the liquid smoke. It can kill it. Yea, it's faking it, but it does add that smokey flavor which makes pork oh so delicious.

Stebben, thank you for a great meal. Tried this today - the house smells of porky goodness and the results are wonderful.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues