MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

coffee anyone?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

coffee anyone?

Postby anaranjado » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:12 pm

When you're away from home and need a coffee drink, what and where is your favorite?

For me, it's EVP on E Wash, the guy who works in the afternoon/evening makes the best Americano. My partner swears the latte from EVP is best, as well.
anaranjado

Re: coffee anyone?

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Hot coffee: Either Crema Cafe (whatever dark-roasted brew they have) or Starbucks (Americano, black)
Cold coffee: Crema Cafe (cold-processed iced coffee, black)
Adulterated coffee: Graze (Magic coffee)

Y'all can hate on the Starbucks inclusion, but the heart wants what it wants, and I have a Gold Card.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:13 pm

I like Blue Mountain Coffee on University, though I've never ordered anything aside from whichever Alterra blend was freshest. I usually stop in on my way downtown on the weekends so it's always to go, but one day I'll stop and enjoy an Americano while reading the paper and actually enjoy the atmosphere of the place.

I probably go to Starbucks the most frequently, but this is because of the convenience factor more than anything. I'd love nothing more than to get fill my traveler with Blue Heeler from Prairie Cafe on those mornings when I've run out of coffee at home, but they do not open until 7:00 and I'm well on my way by then, usually with a mug of Pike Place Roast or something similar.

If I'm traveling for work I'll almost always stop at the Coffee Grounds in either Lake Hallie or Eau Claire on 93. Red Mug in Superior is also quite excellent and I've managed to find a ton of great places throughout MN.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:11 pm

One of the nice things about working at Isthmus is that it's across the street from Ancora. Love the coffee there.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 pm

The Victory. It's three blocks from my house; plus, I'm already fully engaged in a full-on bro-mance with Patrick.

Kind of like a retail-crush, but without all the furtive glancing.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:08 pm

My #1 is a double shot Red Eye at Cargo Coffee, on S. Park. It's always rich and strong and never disappoints. Perfect every single time. I call it black gold. (I think it's because they do their own roasting.) Borders West does a decent job also. Starbucks is always good. Peet's tastes like black dishwater.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sydgrl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:17 am

My new #1 place is True Coffee on Nesbitt. They roast their own beans and everything I've tried has been delicious. EVP used to be my go to place, but for now True is it.
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:42 am

I usually brew my own. Trader Joe's has (or had, if they sold out) some good dark roast Hawaiian at a decent price. But if I want to go out, Zuzu Cafe with Altera Coffee is close by.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nichole » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 am

Tuesday is double loyalty-card punch day pretty much everywhere, AFAIK. Other days I make sure to make my own.
nichole

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:09 am

I confess to being a total "coffee snob." At home, it's french press (usually Equal Exchange Love Buzz or Alterra Delta Mud). Out and about, Bradbury's wins on every level. I generally order some variation of a latte or a chai charger. I work near Barrique's, and though their coffee drinks are hit or miss, their friendly staff and nice atmosphere make up for it in my opinion.

In my 'hood, Victory, Victory, Victory. So thrilled that they exist here. Can't say enough about what an awesome space it is, and they've got supremely prepared lattes as well. Mermaid used to be my "go to" and their ristretto shots are admirable, but I just like Victory better now.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:56 am

swoon_queen wrote:I confess to being a total "coffee snob." At home, it's french press (usually Equal Exchange Love Buzz or Alterra Delta Mud). Out and about, Bradbury's wins on every level. I generally order some variation of a latte or a chai charger. I work near Barrique's, and though their coffee drinks are hit or miss, their friendly staff and nice atmosphere make up for it in my opinion.

In my 'hood, Victory, Victory, Victory. So thrilled that they exist here. Can't say enough about what an awesome space it is, and they've got supremely prepared lattes as well. Mermaid used to be my "go to" and their ristretto shots are admirable, but I just like Victory better now.

Please forgive the effrontery, but it doesn't appear from the part of your posting after the first two sentences that "coffee" itself is the dominant component of your preferences.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Please forgive the effrontery, but it doesn't appear from the part of your posting after the first two sentences that "coffee" itself is the dominant component of your preferences.

I guess, to be clear, I'm mainly an espresso snob. I drink about five shots of espresso a day-- sometimes in a latte, sometimes mixed into a chai latte ("chai charger"), and sometimes as a macchiato or Americano.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 pm

I like my coffee black, the way God intended it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:03 pm

swoon_queen wrote:

I guess, to be clear, I'm mainly an espresso snob. I drink about five shots of espresso a day-- sometimes in a latte, sometimes mixed into a chai latte ("chai charger"), and sometimes as a macchiato or Americano.

If you're an espresso snob, how come you use a french press at home? They make great stove top espresso makers that many would say makes the best espresso. And, if you are an espresso snob, then you wouldn't be poisoning it with what you are throwing it into. It really isn't espresso anymore after you do that.

Henry Vilas wrote:I like my coffee black, the way God intended it.

Exactly.

I like Alterra when I'm in Milwaukee, EVP and Espresso Royale in Madison. Most of it has to do with proximity to work or coming home from work.

In the end, although, I am a coffee addict, so I will sometimes just drink what I can get.

By the way, has anyone every used a vacuum coffee maker. Bodum is the only company that makes them. They are supposed to be awesome, and were popular in the sixties I believe. I think Bradbury's has one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOrfmCGkPfc
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:12 pm

"Too black, too strong... too black, too strong... Too black, too strong... too black, too strong..."

Funk D'Void - Bad Coffee
HOMOsapien

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues