MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Chicago-Style Dogs & Beef

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Chicago-Style Dogs & Beef

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:39 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:This was my problem with the Rosati's beef I ate the other day. The meat was stringy. Not good.

Rosati's is nothing if not inconsistent! Every once in a great while I get a very thinly sliced, perfectly spiced sandwich that makes me go back again.

The rest of the time the meat is sliced too thick, or stringy, or retaining large chunks of fat. Or dry! Rosati's is the only place in the world that ever made me wonder how a piece of beef stewing in juice all day could be dry. Ugh.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am

If you do an Italian beef sandwich, I think many a non-beef eater would appreciate a chicken version. Plus, it's a lighter option for lunch than a hot dog or beefy sandwich.

An appetizer: Chili dog "nachos" with corn chips (big fritos), chopped up hot dogs, chili, cheese, onions, etc?
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby TraceInStoughton » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:23 pm

It doesn't take a lot of diverse menu items, lots of square feet, or fancy surroundings to have a profitable Chicago Style Dog restaurant. On River Road near the corner of River Rd. and Grand Avenue in Franklin Park Illinois (near O'Hare") is a very old, very busy, very profitable Dog spot called "Gene and Judes". It would be a great place to visit if anyone is thinking about opening a Chicago Style Dog shop. They send you home with your dogs wrapped in plain wax wrap, in a brown bag. The "decor" hasn't changed since I was a kid in the 70's and my parents even went there when they were kids. Mom is 68 now. It is a gold mine! Amazing and worth a visit.
TraceInStoughton

Postby Petro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 pm

kimm wrote:If you do an Italian beef sandwich, I think many a non-beef eater would appreciate a chicken version. Plus, it's a lighter option for lunch than a hot dog or beefy sandwich.

Please don't take this personally, but that's an exceedingly poor idea. The various parts that come together to actually make an italian beef sandwich work so wonderfully simply don't translate 1:1 if you sub in chicken. If you did somehow manage to make one, I still can't see how it'd possibly be a "lighter option" - you're essentially scarfing down a 6" bun dipped in grease and filled with greasy protein. It's just that this protein would have fallen apart into a grainy substrate before serving.

TraceInStoughton wrote:It doesn't take a lot of diverse menu items, lots of square feet, or fancy surroundings to have a profitable Chicago Style Dog restaurant. On River Road near the corner of River Rd. and Grand Avenue in Franklin Park Illinois (near O'Hare") is a very old, very busy, very profitable Dog spot called "Gene and Judes". It would be a great place to visit if anyone is thinking about opening a Chicago Style Dog shop. They send you home with your dogs wrapped in plain wax wrap, in a brown bag. The "decor" hasn't changed since I was a kid in the 70's and my parents even went there when they were kids. Mom is 68 now. It is a gold mine! Amazing and worth a visit.

A favorite of mine is Evanston's "Weiner and Still Champion"

Gus used a winning formula of starting with a solid menu, tapping people that were active on a local forum for advice (and free PR) and taking pages from Hot Doug's playbook by having rotating specials named after people as well as rotating sauces.

The mentions of Hot Doug's are valid too, but it'd be surreal to see that idea translated into a place that seats 200. Hot Doug's has a pair of imitators already in Chicago (Franks 'n Dawgs from last year and now Westminster Dogs, as well) - so, it'd seem that the rotating specials/gourmet forcemeats is something that can sell exceedingly well.

Also: make sure you have tater tots on your menu, please.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby hellogoodbye » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Get your food delivered by train like Snackville Junction!! I loved that place so much as a kid. The food was so so but I'm still talking about it 30 years later. There are similar places up here behind the cheddar curtain.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/photo_list/ ... _id=188109
hellogoodbye

Postby john_titor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Gyros on the spit, dogs, Italian beef, a polish, charburgers, quality fries (+ 8 ways of poutine) and salads. Shakes. Efficient take-out. Don't be a chisel. Be located next to something that involves youth sport leagues. Lunch crowds.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:45 am

If the food is anything like Portillo's, I'll be there as often as possible.
barreg

Postby workboy7 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Please forgive my brevity, my plate is a bit full creating jobs and supporting the tax base and all, but I do want to address many topics recently broached here:

Meatball bombers-yes
Door County anything- no
Locally sourced Chow-Chow - yes
Brats - tough sell
Veggie Dogs, Veggie chili - yes
Salads- yes, good ones too
Fish fry- yes yes and I want to do so well at this
Haute Dogs- yes, as the market will bear
Portobello -no (considering Gila Monster mushroom cactus toping)
Gyros -maybe
wings- yes, no breading though
sweet potato fries- no
Beer-yes
burgers- yes, but thin...no giant thick burgers- trust me, these are great!
Italian Nachos- fuck off
Quesadillas- perhaps
Hushpuppies- yes ( fishfry )
Grilled Cheese-maybe
An Italian beef with chicken that was lovingly raised free range with love, hugs, and pesto with a light brushing of lemon cream sauce- fuck off (dumbest post here yet by the way.....)

I'm not a dreamer or a rookie. The items on my menu are done properly (according to me) every single time with only the best of ingredients. Any complaints are always listened to, and always, quality guaranteed or your money back.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:05 am

workboy7 wrote:Italian Nachos- fuck off

Lol. I feel like I'm in Chicago already!
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:24 am

That does sound like a good menu.

workboy7 wrote:Gyros -maybe

I think that's adding too much to what seems like an already decent sized menu.

Brats may be a tough sell, but what about Italian sausage?

Good luck.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hmmmph » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:33 am

Why would you ask for recommendations and then when people help you out and give you ideas you tell them to fuck off? Such a dick move.
hmmmph

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:35 am

hmmmph wrote:Why would you ask for recommendations and then when people help you out and give you ideas you tell them to fuck off? Such a dick move.

Lighten up. I actually think he was right. Italian beef er, um chicken sandwiches? Come on.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:54 am

Duh! I guess I didn't mention sausage, Scala's of course, that helps complete my favorite sandwich, the combo (hot and dipped). Sorry hmmmph, I also neglected to mention that I can be an abrasive, rude person as well...so tough shit.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:24 am

hmmmph wrote:Why would you ask for recommendations and then when people help you out and give you ideas you tell them to fuck off? Such a dick move.

I'm telling you, when it comes to purveyors of Chicago dogs and beefs, this behavior is deeply authentic. I'm encouraged.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:18 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:

I'm telling you, when it comes to purveyors of Chicago dogs and beefs, this behavior is deeply authentic. I'm encouraged.

Exactly. My first thought was "Weiner Circle". Nothing like getting insulted while ordering greasy food at 3am.
barreg

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues