MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Stalzy's Deli opened yesterday?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Stalzy's Deli opened yesterday?

Postby fennel » Mon May 16, 2011 12:41 pm

Compare with the prices at Zingerman's in Ann Arbor. They have half and full sandwiches, though the halves are more like two-thirds in size.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 16, 2011 12:53 pm

fennel wrote:Compare with the prices at Zingerman's in Ann Arbor. They have half and full sandwiches, though the halves are more like two-thirds in size.

That's my point. Who would pay $15.50 for a sandwich?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 16, 2011 1:09 pm

rabble wrote:I stopped on Saturday and had a pastrami on rye and got a reuben to go for Mrs Rabble.

Switch the order around and that's what I brought home to Mrs thebookpolice on Saturday, too.

Actually, switch the commentary around as well. Thought the Reuben was great, thought the pastrami had too much fat and not enough meat going on. The meat had a nice smoky flavor, but there wasn't enough of it.

The $2.50 I was charged for the amount of potato salad I got, however, will be unacceptable going foward. They've got to either make the potato salad tasty enough to be worth a premium, or not charge a premium for the quality and quantity of potato salad they're serving.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon May 16, 2011 3:06 pm

I give it a resounding "meh" - 6 or 7 out of 10.

They're "cash only", which is fine, I get that you're trying to avoid paying card fees, but put this information on your website, your takeout menu and other places where people may have looked to familiarize themselves with the place so they can be prepared. (Grrr.)
Why it really irritated me was because, while they do have an ATM, it charged a $1.50 fee. Jenny St Market does this, but then spits out a coupon for you to use on your groceries. Now, I know credit card fees are high for businesses, but there's no way they're $1.50 on a ~$20 transaction, and if they are, you need a different provider. I also don't know if you necessarily need to give me a coupon against my order, but maybe it's for a drink or something? Or split it with me and give me .75 off with my ATM receipt?

BLT was okay, bacon was tepid and super greasy. DH had an egg salad sandwich that was pretty heavy on the capers.

They also need better napkins. A small stack of the cheapy ones you see at ice cream places doesn't cut it.

On the up side, I liked the decor, loved the use of vintage doors as bar wainscoting and the light fixtures from Schoolhouse Electric match the bar stools. They were decently busy for a Monday afternoon and were timely with our food. I'm hoping once they work the kinks out and get in a groove the place will rock. They had a lot of people working, especially considering the size and their setup (they call your name, you get your own food and bus your own table); I hope their payroll doesn't doom them from the start.

We'll probably go back, but I agree with the previous posters about quality not quite meeting up to the prices. I have no problem whatsoever paying that or more for a sandwich, but it better deliver. These didn't.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon May 16, 2011 7:46 pm

That's really inexcusable, regarding the credit card policy. Especially at those price points.
BTW, I didn't know about the Jenifer Street market coupon. That's a fair alternative to accepting CCs, though I'm wary of using non-bank ATMs.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 16, 2011 8:01 pm

fennel wrote:BTW, I didn't know about the Jenifer Street market coupon. That's a fair alternative to accepting CCs, though I'm wary of using non-bank ATMs.

Jenny's is the only place I know of who does that. I like it a lot. I'm still a little amused at the "pay us a dollar and then we'll give you a dollar back" concept but I think I understand the economics of it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed May 18, 2011 3:30 pm

Stopped in today and had a turkey reuben. Good, though it wasn't really stacked, as it should be. The bread was nicely grilled, though too thinly cut.

Pickled beets were very good, as was the sweet and sour slaw. I had to poach paper towels from the restroom, since the napkins provided are woefully inadequate. I don't think the prices are crazy, but they do need to decide what they're about. If you're going to charge premium prices, don't nickel and dime your customers with things like thinly sliced bread, napkins, and ATM charges.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Wed May 25, 2011 10:15 am

The woman at the counter seemed lost in space on my first visit. I wanted to try out their pastrami, so I asked for a pastrami on rye. She seemed confused that I wasn't ordering one of the three specials on the chalkboard, and was resistant -- "but that will just be bread and meat."
In New York, they'd ask me what I wanted with that -- lettuce, coleslaw, mayo, pickles, etc. And they'd do it fast.

Here it seemed agonizing and people were waiting to order so I finally gave in and got the special with three meats. It was delivered plain on the plate, about five inches high with three pieces of bread. I peeled off the top two layers, ate that, and took the rest home. I had a cup of borscht and it was good and chunky. Not as good as Ella's cabbage soup. I missed Ella's endless menu selections of platters and combos. But most of all I missed a fast-moving counterman who knew what he/she was doing.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 25, 2011 10:20 am

Broadsheet wrote:The woman at the counter seemed lost in space on my first visit. I wanted to try out their pastrami, so I asked for a pastrami on rye. She seemed confused that I wasn't ordering one of the three specials on the chalkboard, and was resistant -- "but that will just be bread and meat."
In New York, they'd ask me what I wanted with that -- lettuce, coleslaw, mayo, pickles, etc. And they'd do it fast.

I'm a little dubious of this account. There's a section of the menu titled "BREAD. MEAT. BREAD." I doubt there's anyone so new to the routine at Stalzy's as to overlook this section. And the fact that you got one of their triple deckers indicates that maybe you weren't as clear as you thought you were when you ordered.

Just my perspective. Obviously, you were there, I wasn't. But on my trip, I missed the plain sandwich section upon cursory scan of the board, asked for the same thing you did, and the server directed me to it. The sandwich I received was indeed bread, then meat, then bread.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Wed May 25, 2011 10:40 am

I don't know what's "dubious." It's straight reporting. Everyone was crushed in at the end of the counter waiting to order, I said what I wanted, got no help, gave in and ordered a special. I was not at all interested in trying turkey pastrami but I felt pressure to get out of the way. They could have thrown in a slice of pickle for $15.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Wed May 25, 2011 11:36 am

If I'm paying $15 for a sandwich, that thing better be STACKED.
$15 will buy me a porketta sammich w/peppers, dill crab pasta salad, rice pudding, plus even a cannoli from Fraboni's ...

Stalzy's likely earns a good chunk of the ATM fee their machine charges, yet they won't accept cards for payment? Greedy. Sorry, but these days it's pretty lame for a business not to accept payment via card.

Since I predict they may only be around for 6 months or so, I'll stop by Stalzy's someday soon. Hopefully I'll have a fat wallet that day.

I miss Atlas on Monroe Street. Their turkey w/ cranberries sandwich was awesome.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Ordered delivery for lunch

Postby kulgar » Wed May 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Ordered a large bunch of sandwiches, slaw and potato salad to be delivered for lunch today. The order was on time and all the sandwiches were correct (not like a famous burrito place that apologizes in advance while taking the order because they know they won't get a dozen orders correct).

Great deli sandwiches, variety for everyone and the slaw and potato salad are awesome.

Give them a shot for a group grope or stop by on your way down Atwood (NO, I'm not an owner, an employee or a friend of management, I just like the sandwiches and sides and want them to stick around for a while or at least until my arteries completely clog.)
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Sat May 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Made a second pass. This time the sandwich was a bit more stacked. Good. But this time I noticed how very weak the bread was. I understand that's probably an unavoidable problem if they're not making their own. The pickings from suppliers in these parts are probably mighty slim. Even Madison Sourdough seems to be edging toward the Wunder-Brot soft-serve consistency. (Real bread does not squish – ever.)

Slaw was outstanding. Beet salad, again, outstanding. Potato salad, dreary.

The fish sandwich selection is wanting. No whitefish offering, no tuna offering, no salmon offering, no trout offering. Nothing. Nada.

Now that I think of it, I didn't notice any chicken offering either. A deli without chicken? Or even schmaltz?

No real bread, no fish, no chicken? I mean, Wisconsin Travel Federation?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat May 28, 2011 10:41 pm

fennel wrote: Sheer colon glue.

You can say a lot in 3 words. My nomination for Forum Phrase of the Week.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 pm

barney wrote:I give it a resounding "meh" - 6 or 7 out of 10.

We just went for lunch today. That was my impression. I had the (hot) roast beef special: roast beef, Gouda, horseradish mayo and onions (which weren't noted on the special board) on grilled white bread. It was...fine. It wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was anything to write home about either, and it seemed expensive for what you got.

A minor point, but I noticed the lame napkins as well.

I could really go for some mafé with fufu...
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues