MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Soup recipes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Soup recipes

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:45 am

Other than a thread on lentil soup, I haven't seen much along the lines of soup recipes here, and I'm making a ton of soup now, esp. with the chill in the air this week! Well, not literally a ton of soup, but you know what I'm saying.

My recent attempt at squash soup was a pleasant surprise. It turned out much better than I thought. I'm not a huge fan of squash. Some of my other favorite soups to make are a Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup where I make a mushroom broth from rehydrating dried mushrooms and add that to whatever stock I'm using, as well as Giada De Laurentiis's Creamy Red Pepper Soup. Back in the Seinfeld days, I found the Soup Nazi's recipes (or copycats) online and made a bunch of those. The most interesting recipe from that group was Indian Mulligatawny. It must have had 20 or 30 ingredients!

What are some of your favorite soup recipes to take the chill off this time of year? Or is there a soup from a particular restaurant that you love? I'm always a fan of a good clam chowder on a Friday night before my fish fry!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Soup recipes

Postby massimo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:21 am

Whenever I make soup that isn't chicken noodle (well, orzo in my recipe), I usually end up wishing I'd just made that. And when I make it, I DO make literally a ton (well, ok...).

Haven't had the clam chowder at Blue Moon for a long long time, but your post reminds me I should.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:50 am

I love mulligatawny, that's an excellent soup to warm you up. Moroccan harira is another favorite, nice and spicy, and very hearty. I'm a big fan of bean soups; made an excellent white bean, salt pork and mustard green soup a few weeks ago.

I plan on re-creating Graham Elliot's pumpkin soup for Christmas Eve; had some at a recent visit to his restaurant in Chicago and it was fantastic.

I'll probably also make clam chowder for New Year's Eve, to go along with the lobster mac and cheese that my girlfriend is begging me to make.

Mmm...gotta love soup season.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:17 pm

I love a good Cioppino, I use the Quick and Easy Cioppino recipe on Epicurious using whatever the gents at the Willy St Seafood center have to offer at a good price. Delicious with a loaf of fresh Batch bread and a salad!
Also I make frequent use of this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Months-Mon ... 0767901800
He has some really simple and elegant recipes that I can embellish to my own tastes.
Right now I am more into farro dishes than soup tho, but I am gonna try making a farro and borlotti bean soup this weekend.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Oh man. Excellent post! Is there anything better than hot soup in cold weather. I say NO!

My husband makes a mean bowl of soup. He uses a base of filtered water, home-made vegetable stock, celery, onion, rutabaga, turnip, carrot and potato. Then he ad-libs it from there. This is easily the BEST soup I've ever had. Can't give you the exact recipe cuz he's possessive. BUT will tell you his soup is absolutely delish!!
Last edited by Lily on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I now have a few new recipes to research and a book to look into buying.

Lily wrote:Can't give you the exact recipe cuz he's possessive.

I totally get that Lily. The stock you describe sounds like an interesting start to build from. I'm kinda that way about the mushroom soup recipe. Well, I haven't actually written the recipe out yet. I just go by memory on that one.

I also like the tip about adding leafy greens, thanks O.J.!

Anyone have any Asian soup recipes to share? I'm a little tired of making hot and sour soup and egg drop soup.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:19 pm

It just so happens I purchased a great used cook book (from Frugal Muse) on Chinese cooking. Here's three soup recipes:

Corn & Crab Meat Soup--serves 4
4 oz crab meat
1/4 t finely chopped ginger root
2 egg whites
2 T milk
1 T cornstarch mixed in water until smooth
2.5 cups chicken stock
8 oz can creamed corn (MUST be creamed)
salt and pepper
finely chopped scallions for garnish

Flake crab meat and mix with ginger. Set aside.
Beat egg whites until frothy. Add milk and cornstarch paste and bet again until smoth. Blend into crab.
In a wok, bring stock to a boil. Once boiling slowly add the crab meat and egg white mixture. Stir gently until well blended. Serve hot with scallion topping.

The recipe says you can substitute chicken breast for the crab and while that is good the crab version is better. Don't cook the crab too long because it loses it's sweetness the longer it is cooked. You can also use the imitation crab meat BUT only add it with enough time to warm it. It loses the crab flavor very quickly but is considerably cheaper.

Mushroom & Cucumber Noodle Soup, serves 4
4 oz mushrooms
1/2 English cucumber
2 scallions
1 garlic clove
2 T vegetable oil
1/4 cup Chinese rice noodles
1/4 t salt
1 T soy sauce

Wash and slice mushrooms. Wash cucumber but no need to peel. Half cucumber lengthwise and scoop out seeds with teaspoon. (Seeds will make the soup bitter tasting.) Thinly slice cucumber.
Chop scallions and cut garlic into thin strips.
Heat oil in wok. Add scallions and garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms an stir fry for 3 minutes.
Stir in 2.5 cups water. Bread noodles into short lengths and add to soup. Bring to a oil over high heat.
Add cucumber, slat and soy sauce. Stir occasionally.
Serve soup in warmed bowls making sure to distribute ingredients evenly.

Spinach & Bean Curd Soup, serves 4
1 cake bean curd
4 oz spinach leaves without stems
3 cups vegetable stock
1 T soy sauce
freshly ground black pepper to taste

If you have any leftover crispy fried bacon, this is the ideal way to use it. Just a couple slices should do it. Or pork that's cooked and thinly sliced--about one pork chop worth. Otherwise it's good as is.

Cut bean curd in small 1 inch cubes. Wash spinach leaves and shred. Baby spinach works best.
In a wok bring the stock to a rolling boil. Add bean curd and soy sauce, bring back to a boil, and simmer for 2 minutes.
Add spinach and simmer 1 more minute.
Skim surface of soup to make it clear. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Last edited by Lily on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks Lily! Those three recipes look very interesting. I'm curious what warm cucumber will taste like. Bean curd is also a new ingredient for me, but I like using tofu and also experimenting with new stuff I find at the Asian market.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:23 pm

city2countrygal wrote:Bean curd is also a new ingredient for me, but I like using tofu and also experimenting with new stuff I find at the Asian market.
Bean Curd is essentially the same thing as tofu, but there are many ways to make it. Some result in silky (or snotty, by my standards) curd. Some are firm and al dente.
I go for the latter.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:03 pm

I just made an enormous pot of Senate Bean Soup the other day; got the recipe from my late mom years ago and tweaked it to my liking. I think it's my favorite winter soup, and very filling. There are lots of different recipes for Senate Bean Soup out there, but I like mine the best: Great Northern beans, lotsa garlic, ham hocks, onions, mashed potatoes, celery, parsley. Mmmm! Having guests for lunch in an hour, and were having this soup, grilled cheese, and fruit salad....
Ttusker

Postby city2countrygal » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Senate Bean Soup on the website for the U.S. Senate has a recipe for a 5 gallon batch. Wow that's a lot of soup!

The recipe has been around since approx. 1903, and it's served every day in the Senate's restaurant. Thanks for the heads up on that one Ttusker! I will make it for sure, but probably not 5 gallons. :lol:
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Cock-a-leekie is one of my favorites. Basically, it's Vichyssoise + chicken, and eaten hot instead of cold.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:51 pm

I love leeks! Do you put prunes in it Detritus? I think prunes are one of those overlooked foods that are actually pretty good if you get past the "old person" stigma. Dates too.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:13 pm

city2countrygal wrote:I love leeks! Do you put prunes in it Detritus? I think prunes are one of those overlooked foods that are actually pretty good if you get past the "old person" stigma. Dates too.

Hmm, not in Cock-a-leekie. I like the chicken-potato-leek-cream flavor all by itself. But my homestyle Chinese chicken soup usually has dates as well as goji (aka Tibetan wolfberries) in it.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Now you've got me hungry for cream of poblano soup. Since I made chicken stock today and have cream in the fridge...
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues