MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Soup recipes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Tom Yum Gai

Postby john_titor » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Tom Yum Gai

Anybody make this? I had a good lemongrass flavor until I added the coconut milk. Also, I am wondering if I should have strained the lemongrass out as it was kind of too tough to eat. Any tips on a stronger lemongrass flavor? Steep a long time in the chix stock?

Next up: Chinese hot and sour. I skipped buying lily buds as they were $7. Do they make that much of a difference? Thanks

One more thing; american cheese is the cook's dirty little secret in regards to beer cheese soup. I am not saying one doesn't use better cheese too, just in part, it provides a nice base for sheen, texture, and body and helps to keep it from breaking when being held for long periods of time.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Soup recipes

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:34 pm

JT: It's funny 'cause I just ordered this soup last night and it's my favorite Thai soup! I didn't see your post until tonight, tho.

Yes, you will get a stronger lemongrass flavor if you steep it longer. Don't eat it. Just leave it in and eat around it.

Did you use galangal (root) and kaffir lime (or citron ridé) leaves?
I just love the flavor of kaffir lime leaves! When I can find them in the produce section of the Asian market, I buy a ton (well, not literally) and store them in my freezer.

Just my 2 ¢ tho. I am, admittedly, no expert.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Soup recipes

Postby john_titor » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:32 pm

I actually used both of those. The woman at Yu Wah said they have had a hard time getting the lime leaves and said the exact same thing - buy a bunch and freeze them. Apparently they used to be sourced from Florida, but no more.

I bounced around a bunch of different recipes, with most aspects covered by the one included below. I didn't add tomatoes or celery or mushrooms. For the Chinese hot and sour, I used Google translate and went to Chinese websites. Interesting translations to say the least. https://www.google.com/search?q=酸辣汤. From what I could gather, hot and sour is much like chili here; everyone has an opinion and a family recipe.

6 cups good-quality (strong) chicken stock
1-2 boneless chicken breasts or 3-4 thighs, sliced, OR 1-2 cups roasted chicken or turkey
1 fresh lemongrass stalk, OR 2 Tbsp. frozen/bottled prepared lemongrass
4 kaffir limes leaves (fresh, frozen, or dried) OR substitute 1 tsp. lime zest
6-8 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 thumb-size piece galangal or ginger, grated
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 fresh red or green chilies, finely sliced, OR substitute 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. dried crushed chili (chili flakes)
1 tomato, chopped into wedges or chunks
optional: 1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 to 1 can good-quality (thick) coconut milk
2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 to 1 tsp. sugar, to taste
3 spring (green) onions, sliced
handful fresh coriander and/or basil
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Previous