MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, January 29, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Spaghetti sauce

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Spaghetti sauce

Postby Maeve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:53 pm

To take the bite out of tomato paste, my pal Giordano's grandpa sauteed it in olive oil over medium high heat until it turned from dark red to more orange. Lost its acidity and thickened the gravy without being cloying. He always added 1 tbls. sugar for pizza sauce. We tried it without sugar and it didn't work for pizza but worked well for spag sauce.

The real test is your cannoli!
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:19 pm

While I'm all off topic, Grandpa Giordano's widow, very elderly, suffered a heart attack at one of the extended family's frequent trattoria gatherings. Hauled away in an ambulance, she died en route to hospital. In her purse they found several canolli she'd pilferred from the restaurant, "for later."
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:33 pm

How many people made spagehetti this weekend thanks to Lily's post last week? I know I did! I was totally not planning it or I would have defrosted tomatoes from my garden. Next time! I did add criminis because shrooms add fiber and are healthy. I also made gluten-free meatballs that were moist. My question is have any forons used the bottled tomato sauce? It almost looks like tomato juice? I'd prefer bottled over canned if I can't use fresh tomatoes. I see it at World Market and I've been tempted to try it, especially for slow roasting a nice chunk of beef.

Making homemade pasta? I used to in college. It was fun to color the pasta with veggie juice in place of some of the water in the recipe. (Note: you need a good juicer.) Beet juice makes red pasta, spinach makes green, and carrot makes orange. If you are going to all the work of making your own pasta, make multiple batches of dough the day before and let them rest in your fridge. It also helps to have a place ready for them to dry, like a laundry rack (to hang) or some clean shelves (to nest).

Geez, GF-pasta is a bitch! I made some rice spaghetti noodles and they boiled over 3 times, the cooking water ended up super starchy, and they were all clumpy even though I put them in the sauce to combine before serving. Any suggestions forons?
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Use the energy saving 'boil for 2 minutes, then turn off the heat and cover, let stand for 20 minutes' method. I've never had a problem with GF pasta yet, and I'm a newbie.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks, Violet_Skye, I will give that method a try! I'm a GF newbie too, and I've noticed a lot of the cooking rules I'm used no longer apply when cooking gluten free. I have to say I did lose 5 to 10 pounds in the first few weeks, a bonus side effect!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues