MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Non-Hydrogenated Lard?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Non-Hydrogenated Lard?

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:31 am

Does anyone know where I can find chilled leaf lard in the Madison area? Lard has become pretty hard to find these days, because of the bad health stigma that it has. I've found, though, that for a perfectly flavorful & flaky pie crust, nothing works quite as well, not butter, not shortening, nothing! I was shocked when I went to Woodman's -- East, and all I could find was horrible Morell Snow Cap Lard, which is hydrogenated lard with BHT & BHA (preservatives) to protect flavor -- basically, about as bad for you as a food could possibly be. It wasn't refrigerated, which means that it never goes bad. I'm sorry, but if microorganisms don't want to eat it, then neither do I.
Last edited by Slick Willy on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Re: Non-Hydrogenated Lard?

Postby barney » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:28 am

Check most Mexican markets (staple ingredient for refried beans) or Yue-Wah on Park.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NSider » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:13 am

Pecatonica Valley Farm usually has it at the winter market, they sell little tubs.
NSider

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:36 am

NSider wrote:Pecatonica Valley Farm usually has it at the winter market, they sell little tubs.

Are you talking about the winter market at the Madison Senior Center on W. Mifflin?
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby NSider » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:44 am

Yep, the regular DCFM Saturday mornings.
NSider

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:49 am

barney wrote:Check most Mexican markets (staple ingredient for refried beans) or Yue-Wah on Park.

Good suggestions! I never thought of Yue-Wah. I was wondering where Mexican restaurants got lard for their refried beans, and I was just thinking food distributors, but obviously they make these things at home, too.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:51 am

NSider wrote:Yep, the regular DCFM Saturday mornings.

OK, cool, I'll check it out, thanks!
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 am

My grandma used to pour the grease through a filter after breakfasts and collect it, then make a pie a couple of times a week. Depends on how much bacon you cook, I guess....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:18 pm

barney wrote:My grandma used to pour the grease through a filter after breakfasts and collect it, then make a pie a couple of times a week. Depends on how much bacon you cook, I guess....

Bacon grease and lard are two different monkeys. I love bacon grease, and never would waste an ounce of it, but it's extremely salty, smokey & meaty tasting, which is great for refried beans or fried potatoes, but not most pie crusts. Lard has a much more neutral taste, like shortening, but with a richness that shortening doesn't have. Great for pie crust, and was used for frying doughnuts almost exclusively. Now most doughnuts are fried in the neutral flavored canola oil.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Snowcap
Mmmm, lard filled fat.

It's a good thing I only make tamales once per year.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Eh, I was a kid, her pie was wayyyy good - it was Grandma's, you know? Saving it was a Depression thing, I'm sure. She also reused bread bags too.
I remember her using it for pasty crusts too. She made those a lot.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:59 pm

The farmers market is probably best. Maybe other pork producers will sell it to you too. I have a feeling that what you get in Mexican markets would be no better than the supermarket kind. Also, lard has less saturated fat and more monounsaturated fat than butter. Enjoy your yummy pie crust.
LaughingGirl

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

LaughingGirl wrote:Also, lard has less saturated fat and more monounsaturated fat than butter.

You're right! Lard, "the great misunderstood fat" contains just 40 percent saturated fat (compared with nearly 60 percent for butter). Its level of monounsaturated fat (the "good" fat) is a very respectable 45 percent, which is double butter's 23 or so percent.
LaughingGirl wrote:I have a feeling that what you get in Mexican markets would be no better than the supermarket kind.

You were right about that, too. I went to a nearby bodega, and all they had was tubs of this stuff called la Preferida, which was hydrogenated and doesn't need to be refrigerated. Oh well, the quest continues.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Slick Willy wrote: Oh well, the quest continues.

Lard Ho!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Found it!!! They sell a local, non-hydrogenated, frozen leaf lard at the Willy Street Co-op of all places. It's from Willow Creek Farm out of Prairie du Sac. I thought the Co-op would shy away from something like lard, but they are carrying a lot of local and organic meats now, so kudos to them for selling a product that has been unfairly snubbed and driven out of the marketplace by the shortening industry.
Marvell wrote:
Slick Willy wrote: Oh well, the quest continues.

Lard Ho!

: ) Funny!
The quest ends with "fat booty."
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues