MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Non-Hydrogenated Lard?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Non-Hydrogenated Lard?

Postby Galoot » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Okay, now I just have to try making biscuits the way I'm sure my Okie grandmother (or if not her, then certainly her Okie mother) made them. With good old lard.

I grew up on softsided (aka cat-head) biscuits made with Crisco, and while my mom made amazing biscuits (the best I've ever had) I gather that the Crisco, being loaded with trans fats, was probably far worse for my arteries than lard might have been.

I'm betting that biscuits made with lard will be just amazingly flaky and delicious. I'll have to make a batch for my extended family when out in CA this summer. And frying the chicken in lard, and using the drippings to make the milk gravy for the biscuits...this could be quite the Okie fest.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Willow Creek products are delicious! They make some mighty fine bacon too.
LaughingGirl

Postby Slick Willy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:33 pm

LaughingGirl wrote:Willow Creek products are delicious! They make some mighty fine bacon too.

Willow Creek had the first bacon that I could find without nitrates or nitrites. Now Oscar Mayer has a preservative-free product line with bacon, hotdogs, etc.
The Willow Creek lard that I bought was only $5.49/lb, which is a decent price, so it's definitely something that I'll continue to buy. At that price it can be a staple and not a luxury.
Galoot wrote:I gather that the Crisco, being loaded with trans fats, was probably far worse for my arteries than lard might have been.

Crisco may not have trans fats anymore, because it's a combination of fully hydrogenated and non-hydrogenated oil and not partially hydrogenated oil, but it's still crap. The new Crisco is made with cottonseed oil, which is nasty stuff -- probably the most unhealthy cooking oil there is. It' s very high in saturated fat, full of natural toxins (like gossypol) and has really high levels of pesticide residues. Of course manufacturers like it because it's cheap.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Sun May 06, 2012 1:01 pm

I finally got around to making cat-head biscuits with lard, a good thing to try on a stormy Sunday. They turned out pretty damned good, maybe even a bit too flaky. Biscuits are tricky--Mom taught me years and years ago that too much kneading made for bad biscuits, but I think I didn't knead quite enough.

They're definitely different than Crisco biscuits. I think this will turn out to be a good thing to make as a treat once a month or so. I doubt Clabber Girl baking powder will be available in Brazil, so I'll take a can with me. Lard should be available at any store there, though.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sun May 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Fry up some chicken in the lard in a cast iron skillet for dinner. Granny knew what she was doing!
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues